toldailytopic: When Mormons come to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsweet

The thing is my birthday suit was not sanforized. I'm just saying.... bybee

Hehe...I think the birthday suit would do the trick, no matter who's wearing it. I've never done it myself (I have been tempted), but I can just imagine the look on their faces when I swing the door open and say "Gosh I'd love to continue this conversation; won't you come in for some ice tea?"

Lucky

Hall of Fame
If anyone comes to my house and wants to talk about God, I'll invite them in and talk. I'm not saying everyone should, but as a big guy with guns I'm okay with it.

Mormons need to hear the good news and truth about Christ, and this is probably the only opportunity you'll come across to share that with them. There are resources out there that will prepare you for it and I recommend checking them out in order to "always be ready" to defend your beliefs.

So far, I've never actually had a Mormon come to my house. I've even requested a copy of the Book of Mormon and still nothing. I guess it's because I live outside the city limits.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: When Mormons come to your door.

We live in a gated community, so we do not have many door-to-door whatever's. We did have a couple of young men who lived within our complex. When they came to our apartment, they introduced themselves, as did I. They said they had some wonderful news they wanted to share with me, I said, "Okay, here is the deal, you tell me your story then you will listen to mine," they replied, "Great, what is your story," I said, "Which one do you want, pre-arranging funeral your funeral service, or the Foursquare Church?" with that they looked at each other, looked back at me, thanked me for my time, turned and left.

I truly realize that I had missed a real opportunity to speak a witness to real saving grace of God because of what Jesus has accomplished, maybe, no not maybe, but the next time I'll not be so quick to dismiss them. Because it is about the grace of God, saving faith, not of ourselves or others, it's gift from God, through what Jesus has done.

Next time I'll do better, if there is a next time.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
No problems as my residences are too remote for Mormons to come calling. In past times when they did, have them call, I managed to have them help me move furniture; they were quite polite and helpful. Most times I lived out on a fenced ranch; there is a civil law known as trespass to land that should be respected. My only problem was one when a carfull of Joppa’s Witnesses came in right behind me, as I was putting up supplies. I had to run them off and they sure took off.

zoo22

I don't answer the door in those situations... I live on the 2nd floor, so I can say thanks but no thanks from an upstairs window or the front deck. Yes, always politely. Mormons, Born Agains, JW's, The Pope, I don't care. This is my home. The dog's barking usually cinches it up anyway... He's pretty loud when folks come walking up to the door, and when they hear him, they're generally more than happy knowing that there are plenty of other doors to knock on.

I'm happy to answer he door for the postman/packages, though. Also, food delivery.

Actually were it The Pope I'd make an exception... That's something that doesn't happen every day.

zoo22

No problems as my residences are too remote for Mormons to come calling. In past times when they did, have them call, I managed to have them help me move furniture; they were quite polite and helpful. Most times I lived out on a fenced ranch; there is a civil law known as trespass to land that should be respected. My only problem was one when a carfull of Joppa’s Witnesses came in right behind me, as I was putting up supplies. I had to run them off and they sure took off.

If I were in a remote area where it took them some work getting there, I might tell them they're welcome to have some iced tea or something, but that I wasn't going to talk about religion.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
If I were in a remote area where it took them some work getting there, I might tell them they're welcome to have some iced tea or something, but that I wasn't going to talk about religion.

That's nice. They do not seem to come out to either of my homes. I do think the proof is in the pudding and a little work demonstrates commitment. I did listen, although talking while working reveals mental discipline.

Quincy

I've had them come to my house a couple times. I answered the door the first time and ended up having to listen to them for almost half an hour before I could get them to leave. The second time I answered it wearing a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and said "What's up homie?" Yea, they didn't stay long.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I've had them come to my house a couple times. I answered the door the first time and ended up having to listen to them for almost half an hour before I could get them to leave. The second time I answered it wearing a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and said "What's up homie?" Yea, they didn't stay long.

Forget Marilyn Manson, you should have had them do some household chores. ;)

Thunder's Muse

I always try to be polite and simply say "Thanks but I'm not interested'.

A few months ago, a couple of Morons...eerrr...Mormons came to my door and I gave the usual response "Thanks but I'm not interested'. The older woman then thought she could trick me, by drawing me into a conversation (oldest sales techinique in the book). She said "You don't want to know about Jesus?'

I replied 'Thanks, I'm not interested'.

So, she said 'Are you not interested in saving your soul?'

I replied, not so politely 'Stop trying to draw me into a conversation. That won't work with me. I've said I'm not interested, so it's time for you to go, now.'

They will be back, I know it..... :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I always try to be polite and simply say "Thanks but I'm not interested'.

A few months ago, a couple of Morons...eerrr...Mormons came to my door and I gave the usual response "Thanks but I'm not interested'. The older woman then thought she could trick me, by drawing me into a conversation (oldest sales techinique in the book). She said "You don't want to know about Jesus?'

I replied 'Thanks, I'm not interested'.

So, she said 'Are you not interested in saving your soul?'

I replied, not so politely 'Stop trying to draw me into a conversation. That won't work with me. I've said I'm not interested, so it's time for you to go, now.'

They will be back, I know it..... :)

Perhaps the next time you might say you are interested, but have housework to do and ask them to help while you listen. If they come back again, asking why you did not show up at their church, just tell them you have too much housework and ask them to help.

Soon they will think:juggle: "All she wants is for us to do her housework"

Thunder's Muse

Perhaps the next time you might say you are interested, but have housework to do and ask them to help while you listen. If they come back again, asking why you did not show up at their church, just tell them you have too much housework and ask them to help.

Soon they will think:juggle: "All she wants is for us to do her housework"

Great idea! There is always plenty of housework they can help me with! :D

I have a friend who says 'Sorry, I can't talk now. I'm in the middle of conjuring demons for my Satanic ritual.' She doesn't get bothered very often.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hey, who said that? Is that a Walter Martin quote?

J.K. Van Baalen 'The Chaos of the Cults' (cults are unpaid bills of the church...we fail to educate, so too many are vulnerable not knowing what they believe and why).

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
J.K. Van Baalen 'The Chaos of the Cults' (cults are unpaid bills of the church...we fail to educate, so too many are vulnerable not knowing what they believe and why).

My pastor uses that quote regularly. I'll have to impress him by dropping Van Baalen's name the next time he does! :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I've never gotten Mormons at my door. Maybe they aren't very active in the places I've lived. However, a couple weeks ago some Christians came to my door though. It was kind of annoying. They invited me to their church and I said I already go to one and I thought they'd leave. They didn't. They asked me where I went (I don't think they believed I actually went to one), so I told them. Again I thought they might leave. But they didn't. They started talking about how just going to church isn't necessarily important. You can go to church and not be saved. And then they asked if I was saved. I said yes. Then they asked how I knew that. I said I was a Christian. That still wasn't good enough. They asked me what I meant by that because Jesus will tell some that he never knew them. They asked again how I knew I was saved. I knew these guys were looking for the right phrase that would get them to leave. So then I said something about believing Christ is my savior and was crucified and resurrected for my sins. Some standard thing. Finally they were at peace that I was okay and they left.

If I had said something about how I'm basically a good person they probably would have freaked out. :chuckle:

As I said, it was pretty frustrating, but at the same time I have a respect for people who are willing to do that. I question the efficacy, but I can admire the boldness.

mighty_duck

Only happened once. They were quite polite, so I tried to be.
"This book has giving me plenty of meaning in my life"
"Good for you!" I says.
"Do you have meaning in your life?"
"Sure do! Thanks for asking!" I says
Realizing this path won't go anywhere they asked if I had any work around the house they could do. I politely refused and they were gone.

Then I cursed myself when I remembered all the yardwork I had put off that was just waiting for young eager hands ;)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Only happened once. They were quite polite, so I tried to be.
"This book has giving me plenty of meaning in my life"
"Good for you!" I says.
"Do you have meaning in your life?"
"Sure do! Thanks for asking!" I says
Realizing this path won't go anywhere they asked if I had any work around the house they could do. I politely refused and they were gone.

Then I cursed myself when I remembered all the yardwork I had put off that was just waiting for young eager hands ;)

This is my point about Mormons; they are quite willing to do some work for you. Why not make them feel good by letting them do a bit of lifting.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Great idea! There is always plenty of housework they can help me with! :D

I have a friend who says 'Sorry, I can't talk now. I'm in the middle of conjuring demons for my Satanic ritual.' She doesn't get bothered very often.

:up:

saying what your friend says is just not necessary and unproductive.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I have police tape around my porch with some chalk outlines on the deck littered with religious pamphlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.