toldailytopic: When Jesus said "go and sin no more", what did He mean?

Ps82

You must also remember that according to the Law Jesus could not condemn her, even if there had been witnesses; but in the absence of witnesses no one could.

You probably have a point... I've just never considered this.

I do know that these men were testing Jesus to see what he would say. After all Jesus had assumed a role of teaching Godly things to the people. He was acting like someone of authority from God. Perhaps out of jealousy they wanted to prove that he could not be the promised Savior.

I also know that Jesus said something like this: I came not into this world to condemn it but to bring salvation. You know, I think that if Jesus had judged someone while he was on earth, then that person would have lost all hope of ever obtaining salvation.

His work as the savior released him from being judgmental. At times I think that would have been a lovely state of mind. Judging no one gives a person the freedom to love others.

Yet, during persecution and at the time of his passion, it would have been impossible for a mere man to forgive those who hated him. Just another example that he was God as our Savior not God as our judge. Isaiah 43:11 KJV.

However, a judgment times is coming ... and I pray that many will be hidden IN HIM... having their sins covered due to their respect for him and what he did to bring us this wonderful gift.

Ps82

Funny - John - seriously.

You must have searched and searched for that verse.

Did you know that there is an event in the OT where the LORD was planning to have a feast of celebration after Israel had brought in their harvests within the Promised Land. He told people, who had to come from a long way, to just bring their money and buy all the things they needed for the feast when they arrived at the place he had chosen for the feast. He then made a list of the things they would need and even suggested that they could buy "strong drink" for themselves to celebrate if they wished?

As a Baptist, I found that funny when I discovered this. Even thought I taught the Bible lesson during the week that I found this event ... I withheld truth and avoided teaching that part of the lesson ... just like the Baptist teaching materials had avoided it. Funny!

Last edited:

Ps82

Hi John,
Such wonderful verses. Due to some of my conclusions they seem to be so full of revelation.

You shared:
Jer. 17 KJV
13 O Lord, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living waters.

The only way for us to reach our destination of "salvation" is to be IN HIM. If a person never reaches that position .. then he assuredly will be "written in the earth."

What does that mean?
I'll try to be short and get right to the point. In Genesis 3, the LORD cursed the ground ... which totally affected the physical life within Adam's body. For from that time forward men, whose bodies were formed of the dusty elements of the earth, would return to it... unless they had a savior to rescue them.

And who was put in authority over the dust of the earth ... having the right to partake of it?

Genesis 3 tells us that "that old Serpent" was cursed to partake of the dust of the ground upon the earth for the rest of his life!" Satan has the right to possess anything associated with "that dust." Therefore if people (regarding the inner spiritual nature) are not circumcised from their "cursed dust," and are not placed by God IN CHRIST ...not having their names written in the Lamb's book of life ... then their names will remain written in the dust of the earth. They will be in the possession of Satan. Is it any wonder that Satan argued with the angel of the Lord about the possession of the body of Moses?

This point relates to part of the work of our savior while he was on earth. He proved the WAY for us to be held by God safely IN HIM unto our salvation.

You shared.
John 7 KJV

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water

This also relates to the book of Genesis. In Genesis 2 there came a times when the LORD was at work ... It was a times before it had ever rained upon the created earth. A time before there was even living plants or living animals. God had added no measure of water in the world. Yet, right before the LORD formed Adam's body ... he cause a mist (a limited measure of water) to come upon the ground and then he form a body for man. Of course after forming the body, he breathed the spiritual man (male and female) into that body.

Now, my studies have lead me to understand that "WATER" had to do with LIFE. I realized that when our Lord told the woman at the well that he had additional WATER that he could give her from which she would never thirst again. We all understand that he was talking about his ability to grant her "eternal life."

That is when I realized that a "measure of water/a mist" meant that mankind did not have "eternal life" in the beginning ... but required a continued supply of life from God in order to live. When the LORD cursed the ground (the elements from which man's body had bee formed) then the body of mankind was destined to run out of the "life giving water" and truly "death had entered man and the entire world. The continued supply to sustain physical life was not coming for the spirit of mankind ... unless God provided it. Was everyone to receive it? The Bible seems to say - NOT. Only those, who honor God, who comes as his own Son in order to bring the gift by his being willing to suffer, will be placed IN HIM and held unto salvation.

Christ came not to condemn mankind, but rather to save them ... and his anticipation of the reality that he would inherit a kingdom of loving children ... helped to sustain him in his time of suffering.

Lastly you shared
Next chapter...
John 8:11 KJV
She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Part of our honoring our Lord and Savior is recognize him as The Lord over our lives. If our hearts are not moved by his love and sacrifice for us enough to strive to please him ... then our hearts are not in the right place ... and he receives no honor on earth in the eyes of men.

Somewhere scripture tells us something like this: If men honor God's Son, then they honor him. We are also told that the Father draws men unto the Son ... I like to think that the woman caught in adultery was being called. As she departed she was given the information she needed to turn her life around.

Ps82

Rainee, John. Where are you? This is a bump - hoping someone will be interested in this topic again. Will have some time to discuss things tonight.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 12th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: When Jesus said "go and sin no more", what did He mean?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I have sometimes wondered if He meant "Now listen to me,go study the bible with a competent teacher and learn the definition of sin and then STOP IT! DON'T DO IT ANYMORE!"

Ps82

I have sometimes wondered if He meant "Now listen to me,go study the bible with a competent teacher and learn the definition of sin and then STOP IT! DON'T DO IT ANYMORE!"

I agree. I think he was giving her an opportunity ... not a free pass.

False Prophet

We are to surrender our will and our lives over to God. Self-will is composed of such characteristics as
closed-mindedness, unwillingness, self-centeredness, and outright
defiance. Our self-centered obsession and its accompanying insanity
have made our lives unmanageable. Acting on our self-will has
kept us trapped in a continuous cycle of fear and pain. We wore ourselves
out in fruitless attempts to control everyone and everything.
We couldn’t just allow events to happen. We were always on the lookout
for ways we could force things to go as we wanted.
Now we give our will and our lives over to the care of God, not over to the control of God. Go and sin no more. We become willing for God to remove all defects of character. 1 John 1 [7] but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
We are making a serious effort to live differently than we have in the past. From now on, we are going to be practicing this decision, and the way we relate
to the world around us can change radically as a result.
1 John 1[8] If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Turning our will and our lives over to the care of God provides a solution to the problems created by a life based in self-will, resentment, and control.
1 John 1 [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
One is to continue our efforts to develop a personal relationship with God. Another is to give up our efforts at controlling everything around us. We relax
our grip on the burdens we’ve been carrying and turn them over to God.
Rom 10[9] that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved ; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."
For some of us, deciding to turn our will and lives over to the care
of God is a process, not an event. However, in making that decision, we do make a commitment to practice this walk in our lives.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You probably have a point... I've just never considered this.

I do know that these men were testing Jesus to see what he would say. After all Jesus had assumed a role of teaching Godly things to the people. He was acting like someone of authority from God. Perhaps out of jealousy they wanted to prove that he could not be the promised Savior.

I also know that Jesus said something like this: I came not into this world to condemn it but to bring salvation. You know, I think that if Jesus had judged someone while he was on earth, then that person would have lost all hope of ever obtaining salvation.

His work as the savior released him from being judgmental. At times I think that would have been a lovely state of mind. Judging no one gives a person the freedom to love others.

Yet, during persecution and at the time of his passion, it would have been impossible for a mere man to forgive those who hated him. Just another example that he was God as our Savior not God as our judge. Isaiah 43:11 KJV.

However, a judgment times is coming ... and I pray that many will be hidden IN HIM... having their sins covered due to their respect for him and what he did to bring us this wonderful gift.
You don't think Jesus was ever judgmental during His three years of ministry on Earth, in the flesh?

What about when He called out the wicked, or the self-righteous, etc. for being children of Satan, sons of hell, vipers, white-washed tombs, etc.?

Ps82

You don't think Jesus was ever judgmental during His three years of ministry on Earth, in the flesh?

What about when He called out the wicked, or the self-righteous, etc. for being children of Satan, sons of hell, vipers, white-washed tombs, etc.?

Ah, yes. Thanks Lighthouse. I was hoping someone would remind me if there were any situations like these which I may have forgotten...
I do remember his chasing out the money changers with a whip...

Yet, describing someone's behaviors and present position while in this world is not the same as a work of final judgement - like condemning them to hell or the second death that is described in the book of Revelation. I believe that some of the people who condemned him to death ultimately became his followers after his death.

Why Christ did not even send the demons, which he cast out of the young man, into the pit. Rather he allowed the demons to go into the pigs who dove into the sea. It just wasn't the time to even judge the demons while he was on the earth.

Also Christ did say that he had not come to condemn the world, but to save it. I just don't think that Jesus actually judged / condemned anyone to eternal hell/separation/the Lake of Fire while he worked upon the earth. This just wasn't his WORK at the time.

Now, things may be different when he returns as King of kings and Lord of lords.

I still say that he was giving the adulterous woman an opportunity to repent. He didn't find her to be permanently guilty of her sins on that particular day ... because there is the work of mercy and forgiveness built into what he accomplished for us super-naturally.

Of course, a sign that people have repentant hearts is that they turn from their sins.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
POWER the sword of the spirit, the word. You can walk in victory by BELIEVING the words that fall from His lips.

I have been crucified with Christ, I live no longer I but Christ LIVES in me and th life that I now live I live by the faith of ther Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

You believe it the devil has got to back off you.

The power for her to sin no more was in the word spoken to her.

rainee

Rainee, John. Where are you? This is a bump - hoping someone will be interested in this topic again. Will have some time to discuss things tonight.

Hi, here I am, don't know where John is...
Romeo Romeo, errr John, where art thou? Great Scriptures, wowie.

Anyway, Door and others,

I have just been enjoying all the comments - stimulating and thought provoking..

Not wanting to be like the Scripture Nazi, I still have to ask everyone who is not considering this "my" way to please try again. :)

I am asking y'all to consider this is like an impromptu combo of a Kangaroo Court and Drumhead Court-martial.

Stop for a minute:
Remember when the woman came and washed His feet?

Luke 7
39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

But what was the woman doing?

Luke 7
38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

Now I ask you is this the act of a contrite heart? Is it faith and an appeal and love?

The Lord said:

Luke 7
44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.

45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet.

46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.

47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Is this the same woman? I do not know.

But I have to ask if this is not a very different situation than the woman getting set up with a guy somewhere, tricked to be used by a group of men, then dragged out to a public place in broad daylight and then suddenly scared to death she was about to be stoned.

Please notice the woman at the dinner was not in danger of being stoned to death even though they all knew she was a "sinner" - so the men who who drug out the woman to Jesus had to catch her in the act to get that court situation of being "guilty of a punishable crime"

Aren't these two different situations?
One is in regards to life or death right now - and the other about her soul?

If so then "sin no more" would have to mean, I think, "don't commit adultery any more" since that was the charge she gets to walk away from.

Ps82

POWER the sword of the spirit, the word. You can walk in victory by BELIEVING the words that fall from His lips.

I have been crucified with Christ, I live no longer I but Christ LIVES in me and th life that I now live I live by the faith of ther Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

You believe it the devil has got to back off you.

The power for her to sin no more was in the word spoken to her.

You make a great point here!

After all, Jesus was the WORD of God. If he spoke then it was God speaking.

Let's check out what happened when Jesus was tempted by Satan. He began by quoting scripture to Satan saying, " Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God," and again, "Thou shalt not tempt the LORD thy God." As long as he simply quoted past scripture the temptation experience continued; however, when he added words of his own watch what happened.

Jesus said: "Get thee hense, Satan, for it is written. "Thou shalt worship the LORD thy God, and him only shalt thou server."

The clause: Get thee hense, Satan, was not past scripture, but the present words of Jesus, the word of God.

So, what did Satan do? He left from there.
quote: The the devil left him...

I've always thought that when the Lord Jesus spoke things had to happen.

Now, he told the adulterous woman: Go and sin no more, she had to do two things. She had to leave and she had to sin no more.

Now, the questions are:
Did the term "sin" reference only the sin of adultery or all sins?

Did the command to "sin no more" mean that she was assured salvation? After all humans cannot save themselves by not sinning (IOW, their own works).

I think you are right. She had to obey Jesus... but whether she received eternal salvation at that point or whether she had just been given another chance is still not plainly stated.

Ps82

Hi, here I am, don't know where John is...
Romeo Romeo, errr John, where art thou? Great Scriptures, wowie.

Anyway, Door and others,

I have just been enjoying all the comments - stimulating and thought provoking..

Not wanting to be like the Scripture Nazi, I still have to ask everyone who is not considering this "my" way to please try again. :)

I am asking y'all to consider this is like an impromptu combo of a Kangaroo Court and Drumhead Court-martial.

Stop for a minute:
Remember when the woman came and washed His feet?

But what was the woman doing?

Now I ask you is this the act of a contrite heart? Is it faith and an appeal and love?

The Lord said:

Is this the same woman? I do not know.

But I have to ask if this is not a very different situation than the woman getting set up with a guy somewhere, tricked to be used by a group of men, then dragged out to a public place in broad daylight and then suddenly scared to death she was about to be stoned.

Please notice the woman at the dinner was not in danger of being stoned to death even though they all knew she was a "sinner" - so the men who who drug out the woman to Jesus had to catch her in the act to get that court situation of being "guilty of a punishable crime"

Aren't these two different situations?
One is in regards to life or death right now - and the other about her soul?

If so then "sin no more" would have to mean, I think, "don't commit adultery any more" since that was the charge she gets to walk away from.

You are bringing up some good ideas.
The difference I see in this woman and the woman caught in adultery is that perhaps she was not married. Adultery is a sin committed by a married person. I've often wondered why they didn't bring the man, who was caught in the act as well, to Jesus. I figure that perhaps he wasn't a married man ... or they killed him on the spot????

Regarding the behaviors of the woman, who washed his feet, I believe her actions may have demonstrated five things.

* a contrite heart,
* her faith in him as her savior who could forgive sins
* an appeal to him as her Lord for forgiveness and salvation
* a show of her love for him
* and an appeal for his love

Yet, I have to ask: Is being forgiven of our sins our "free pass" to our eternal salvation or is there more to it?

Wasn't faith part of the deal as well?

Abraham sinned, David sinned, but it was their faith that played a key role to their secure position of salvation.

In fact (Luke 7:50), Jesus said to the woman, who washed his feet:
"Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace."

Therefore Jesus did not condemn her of her sins ... but acknowledge that is was her faith in him that had brought salvation.

Another time there is an example (Acts 1:1-7), when some of the disciples were spreading the gospel and baptizing, they ran across a group of followers of John. When they questioned them about their faith, they found that these followers had only received the "Baptism of John," which was "repent and be forgiven of sins."

Help me here: Didn't John's baptism include both "repentance" and "forgiveness" of sins?

Anyway, after informing these people of the reality of the Holy Ghost sent by Christ into the world they immediately baptized them again with the baptism of repentance saying: "Believe on Him (the Lord Jesus) which should come after him (John)." Therefore they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, and the Holy Ghost came upon them and they spake in tongues and prophesied.

The woman washing Jesus's feet demonstrated her acknowledgement of who Jesus was and Jesus saw her heartfelt faith.

The woman caught in Adultery did neither of these things. Nor did Jesus reveal that she had the "salvation faith" in her.

I still say that Jesus did not condemn her for her adultery ... because he did not come into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world.

Actually, what human being knows when another person is saved? Can we know this about a person without any doubt?

We can look at the behaviors of people and give our opinion, but isn't God the only one who fully knows the heart of a person?

Yet, there was an outward sign given at the baptism of the men in Acts 19. They spake in tongues and prophesied.

I think that an individual can know if he or she is saved ... because I believe that a saved person then has contact with the LORD ... and if his faith allows he hears from the Lord through the Holy Spirit in him and sees him at work in his life.

Tell, me what you think about this.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Ah, yes. Thanks Lighthouse. I was hoping someone would remind me if there were any situations like these which I may have forgotten...
I do remember his chasing out the money changers with a whip...

Yet, describing someone's behaviors and present position while in this world is not the same as a work of final judgement - like condemning them to hell or the second death that is described in the book of Revelation. I believe that some of the people who condemned him to death ultimately became his followers after his death.

Why Christ did not even send the demons, which he cast out of the young man, into the pit. Rather he allowed the demons to go into the pigs who dove into the sea. It just wasn't the time to even judge the demons while he was on the earth.

Also Christ did say that he had not come to condemn the world, but to save it. I just don't think that Jesus actually judged / condemned anyone to eternal hell/separation/the Lake of Fire while he worked upon the earth. This just wasn't his WORK at the time.

Now, things may be different when he returns as King of kings and Lord of lords.

I still say that he was giving the adulterous woman an opportunity to repent. He didn't find her to be permanently guilty of her sins on that particular day ... because there is the work of mercy and forgiveness built into what he accomplished for us super-naturally.

Of course, a sign that people have repentant hearts is that they turn from their sins.
One must be guilty to be forgiven; yet as she was not found guilty He had no reason to forgive her. He simply did not condemn her.

As for the rest, I agree with you.

rainee

Ok, ok, ok...

Y'all are a head strong bunch, I know.

First to you PS82, really enjoyed what you wrote - great stuff and now I will borrow one point you mentioned above with LH.

You said:

And that is an important point. John the Baptist did not come to Israel saying sin no more, he said repent (turn). Turn (repent) for the kingdom of God is at hand. Turn where? To God, from where our own way.

Ps 82 you bring up a great point reminding me the adulterous woman brought to Jesus to be condemned was not necessarily a sinner, ie a prostitute.

So it was a married woman He told not to sin anymore after being caught in adultery.

Folks, it may be a fine difference to be told not to do something anymore rather than be told to repent or turn - but I believe turn is the bigger term covering a multitude of sins - if we have to look at it that way - which we do not!
But - I suspect there is a reason to think otherwise, is there?

Why why why would anyone want this moment to be like a John the Baptist moment - only worse?

Can you imagine? You get saved after getting tricked and used and almost getting killed only to get told to never sin again in any way shape or form.
Good gravy. aren't we glad you are not God?

Ps82

Ok, ok, ok...

Y'all are a head strong bunch, I know.

First to you PS82, really enjoyed what you wrote - great stuff and now I will borrow one point you mentioned above with LH.

You said:

And that is an important point. John the Baptist did not come to Israel saying sin no more, he said repent (turn). Turn (repent) for the kingdom of God is at hand. Turn where? To God, from where our own way.

Ps 82 you bring up a great point reminding me the adulterous woman brought to Jesus to be condemned was not necessarily a sinner, ie a prostitute.

So it was a married woman He told not to sin anymore after being caught in adultery.

Folks, it may be a fine difference to be told not to do something anymore rather than be told to repent or turn - but I believe turn is the bigger term covering a multitude of sins - if we have to look at it that way - which we do not!
But - I suspect there is a reason to think otherwise, is there?

Why why why would anyone want this moment to be like a John the Baptist moment - only worse?

Can you imagine? You get saved after getting tricked and used and almost getting killed only to get told to never sin again in any way shape or form.
Good gravy. aren't we glad you are not God?

Hi Rainee,
You've made some great points.
I do believe that considering that repent means "to turn" adds depth to what Jesus told her, because it does seem to include more than just stop a particular sin. The fact that the kingdom of God was near was part of the good news of the gospel.

Yet, I do believe the woman caught in adultery was sinning. The point I had tried to make was that her sin was adultery (a married woman cheating on her husband) where the woman who washed Jesus's feet was also a sinner, but may have been single and not shaming a husband. It seems that a men in their own minds excuse prostitution - and may assume that things are less offensive because these women probably have no husband to shame.

I'm not saying that men/society didn't look upon prostitutes as "low life" nor should we say that they are not committing a sin, but it is obvious from the meal in Simeon's house that that prostitutes were not respected but were not drug to the temple and accused. It took adultery for that, because the old double standard was at work. Men were/are willing to look the other way while women are being used for sex for a mere pittance and conveniently excuse themselves while they look down their noses at the prostitutes ... but if a wife shamed her husband through sex with another man, then she was terrible because she had shamed him. IOW, it's all about "him."

BTW, where did you get the idea that the woman caught in adultery had been manipulated into sin and then used as an example?

She may have had a personal desire for the sexual partner... but when caught she was used to make a public point. I've always wondered if one of the accusers was her husband ... I've wondered what happened to her sex partner ... of course, scripture does not tell us any of these details.

rainee

Hi Ps82 :)

Hi Rainee,
I do believe that considering that repent means "to turn" adds depth to what Jesus told her, because it does seem to include more than just stop a particular sin.

The fact that the kingdom of God was near was part of the good news of the gospel.
True the Kingdom was near, but I ask you:

Would it add depth to a rattled woman who was trying to figure out what was going on and was frightened out of her wits?

I bet she would have converted to Buddhism right then if told to.

And I have heard many converted to Christianity under the threat of pain or death in the past.
But is that the way The Lord does things?

Is that how He called you? How did He call you?

Yet, I do believe the woman caught in adultery was sinning.

No doubt.

The point I had tried to make was that her sin was adultery (a married woman cheating on her husband) where the woman who washed Jesus's feet was also a sinner, but may have been single and not shaming a husband.

I thought "sinner" like "tax gather" were terms for defining a way a person lived. I think I was taught that, you too, right? So prostitutes were "sinners" as a way of life.

It took adultery for that, because the old double standard was at work.

I apologize for cutting out some of your post above but I wanted to move forward to something you said that might work with what you said but maybe in a slightly different way.
I agree you can see a double standard there since no man is present.
And I agree women can be easily targeted when men are not.

BTW, where did you get the idea that the woman caught in adultery had been manipulated into sin and then used as an example?

She may have had a personal desire for the sexual partner... but when caught she was used to make a public point. I've always wondered if one of the accusers was her husband ... I've wondered what happened to her sex partner ... of course, scripture does not tell us any of these details.

I was taught and I believe this has been passed down through the ages, that this was an example of how far the scribes and pharisees were willing to go after He made fools of them and insulted them. Remember how He often did so around the subject of The Law? For they were the experts, right? And they expected to be treated as if they were perfect and next to God.

My pastor long ago said she may have been having an affair with one of the Pharisees or Scribes for that matter and so they would know exactly who and how and when to get a woman caught in adultery.

But the point I guess was to trap Him- The One who healed on the Sabbath and corrected them in public and all that stuff, you know...

What was He going to do with The Law then? However, as you most excellently pointed out - every witness/accuser - and yes - perhaps in a certain order - I loved all of that you wrote on it - withdrew and left.

Ps82

Hi Rainee,
Jesus was not condemning her. He was her earthly savior for that moment, and was her encourager. Sure if a Budist, Muslim had come and saved her from her accusers and then encouraged her to turn to them, she would have been pulled to do so. But is was not them, but the Lord Jesus ... and I agree with bybee that Jesus was offering her an opportunity to turn. He was not forcing her to do anything to convert to follow him. Where his word meant turn from your sin or turn to follow him is not totally revealed to us. Perhaps his words held more power than some "other type of religious man's words," but I think that God/the Son allows for mankind to come to him by their freewill not through force.

If you read my points again, you will find that I said that both women were sinning. My point was that the sin that mattered the most to men, was when a wife shamed them through an affair. Prostitutes were looked down upon in society but people merely turned their backs and accepted the practice. The prostitutes were not prosecuted, because they were useful to men for selfish pleasure.

But let a wife shame her husband (male ego), then that was a stoning matter!

rainee

Dear PS 82, I will let your points stand as the last points.
I do wish I had told you earlier that really I was only wrestling over this section because I was afeared the Mid Acts Dispies may have been somehow thinking this section would show The Lord dealing with the woman differently than He would deal with us. I do not know much about MAD but I was just a bit worried about that. But you are the only one arguing with me and I think we agree on the Scriptures, lol. Thanks for coming I was glad to read it again.