toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2012 10:15 AM

toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

The answer is pretty simple. Put God and the Bible back into education. Quit telling kids they evolved from slime.

jeremysdemo

And this is exactly how the government will be able to install TSA in public schools and malls.

Everyone make sure you have your papers ready.

poland-krakow-checkpoint-t13138_2.jpg

that's going a bit overboard IMHO, a simple security guard with a clip board and list of visitors and metal detecting wand will do.

there are plenty of private sector security agencies that could be bonded and used as outsourced labor.

The schools don't do their own in house networking or electrical work they hire out contracts to local business, this would be no different.

my post was about creating jobs in the private sector, not making the governments intrusion into our lives greater.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Tinark

The first step to any solution, of course, is going to look at other indutralized countries that have such shootings far less frequently, and then attempt to copy what they do.

In general, those countries that have the fewest mass shootings like this tend to be:

1. Secular/godless - those countries that have the least amount of belief in God or other supernational beliefs have far lower rates of crime, including violent crime/gun rampages. They also have far higher rates of acceptance of the theory of evolution.

2. Lower rates of income and wealth inequality

3. Universal healthcare - so that all the mentally ill can get treatment, unlike in the U.S. where they must either have insurance (you think a mentally ill person can hold a job?) or be born into wealth, or (3), qualify for Medicaid.

4. Much more restricted access to fire arms

Alate_One

The answer is pretty simple. Put God and the Bible back into education. Quit telling kids they evolved from slime.
Because that's obviously the source of this kind of violence. :dizzy: If it were, why does Europe have a far lower gun death and straight up murder rate than the USA? They're far less religious and more accepting of evolution than the USA. It's mental illness that's nearly always correlated with this type of event.

Tinark

The U.S. has the lowest rate of acceptance of evolution out of all modern industralized countries (only Turkey has a lower rate of such acceptance).

It also ranks close to or near the top in belief in Christanity.

Those countries that have the highest rates of acceptance of evolution and the least amount of belief in God have the lowest rates of mass shootings.

Sorry, but the facts clearly and umbigously demonstrate your proposed solution is the opposite of what we should be doing.

Dena

Quit telling kids they evolved from slime.

I am not sure why you guys think this is the cause of these kinds of things. These people are CRAZY. They are not sane human beings.

You may be surprised to know that those of us who do believe life "evolved from slime" so to speak find life amazing and sacred. The idea we happened here on this little tiny planet is....there aren't even words for it. It's so unbelievable extraordinary. It isn't something we take lightly. It does not diminish our compassion and concern for other living beings. Life is so incredible, so beautiful and it should be protected.

On another note, I don't like the idea of metal detectors in elementary schools. Children should feel safe at school. Is walking through a metal detector every day going to make them feel safe?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The U.S. has the lowest rate of acceptance of evolution out of all modern industralized countries (only Turkey has a lower rate of such acceptance).

Those countries that have the highest rates of acceptance of evolution have the lowest rates of mass shootings.

Sorry, but the facts clearly and umbigously demonstrate your proposed solution is the opposite of what we should be doing.

Cites please.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I, too, want to be angry. I am a big supporter of gun rights.

But right now all I feel is a profound and ponderous sadness.

I cannot imagine loosing a child at all, let alone in such an evil and tragic manner. Loosing my wife was enough.

It makes me want to hold onto my children and never let go. Not realistic, but that is how I feel nevertheless.

Ditto brother...I came home today after work and gave both my boys a really tight hug each, they love to be loved and are oblivious to what happened...thankfully. I am personally just too saddened to really get my mind around it right now, so tragic.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Tinark, you left off the evidence that lack of belief in evolution is directly related to mass shootings like you claimed, also you forget that there is a such thing as belief in theistic evolution as well, and you have failed to break those parts down.

I am most interested in your evidence that its belief or lack or belief in evolution that corresponds to mass shootings, since i am not thinking it is christians for sure perpetrating them, so help me out.

Tinark

Tinark, you left off the evidence that lack of belief in evolution is directly related to mass shootings like you claimed, also you forget that there is a such thing as belief in theistic evolution as well, and you have failed to break those parts down.

I am most interested in your evidence that its belief or lack or belief in evolution that corresponds to mass shootings, since i am not thinking it is christians for sure perpetrating them, so help me out.

I'm not really sure what more you want. Clearly, public acceptance of evolution and homicide rates are negatively correlated based on the evidence I posed.

It was other posters here that have claimed that if we stop teaching evolution and insert the Bible as a textbook in the classroom, we'd see less of these kind of shootings.

That is in contradiction to the evidence I posted, and the onus is on them to explain why homicide rates are far lower in the most godless countries with the highest public acceptance of evolution and provide their own evidence that acceptance of evolution leads to mass killings.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

It also ranks close to or near the top in belief in Christanity.

Those countries that have the highest rates of acceptance of evolution and the least amount of belief in God have the lowest rates of mass shootings.

What a load of crap!

Tinark

Why not act like an animal if that is all one is?

The vast majority of animal species don't murder others of their own species. Why not act like these nonmurdering animal species? Why not act like cows, for example, who wouldn't hurt a fly?

Regardless, some reasons why not to murder:

1. It causes suffering and, in a normal human, causing suffering to others causes guilt/mental anguish. If you don't want to suffer mental anguish, don't murder.

2. You won't be able to enjoy the one and only life you'll ever get, because you'll either be in prison the rest of your life, or receive the death penalty. What a waste.

How does your God belief add anything additional to this list? Is it because (3) You'll go to hell? First, doesn't your religion state that even a murderer can get into heaven if he/she repents. Second, isn't this a rather ignoble reason not to murder: because of a fear of God as a camera in the sky who will make you suffer for an eternity. Isn't a much better reason not to murder because causing others to suffer is horrible?

Quincy

There are plenty of people with mental illness out there that are not predisposed to be mass murderers. It's a nature vs nurture thing. If a child is raised to respect life and hold it sacrosanct the chances are he/she will into adulthood. A child that is mentally deranged who doesn't get a proper upbringing is a different story. Let's not stigmatize a whole group of people just because of a few.