toldailytopic: USA Government on the verge of shut-down. The President, the Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My proposals to trim the fat:

Things to toss
Obamacare--Its a boon doggle anyways.
Abortion. We don't need to be using taxpayer money to pay for murder.
Medicare--It has a big doughnut hole in it anyways. It needs to be privatized.
Welfare. Get the bums working real jobs. That will help the economy.
Pork Barrel projects -- (You won't believe the stupid things tax payer dollars are spent on--Gay sheep--Give me a break!)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well if we were serious about cutting spending we'd slash our defense spending at least in half. We're not serious, though. We talk about saving a few bucks here or there while we're trillions in debt. Who are we kidding?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
If the government "shuts down", I will regard it the same as I did when Clinton did it in 1995.

Which was ...

:wazzup: :sleep: zzzzzzzzzz

OH! The question is "who to blame." Ok. Sure. Get right on it. :darwinsm:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That had a lot more to do with the Tech bubble than anything Newt did. Taxes on the rich were higher than now during that time too . . . .

So then Bill Clinton isnt' responsible for an economic boom? Interesting you admit it when the place is right.

And of course, like everything else the retard says here, AO is way off base. Reductions in discretionary spending paved the way. Tax cuts from Reagan started increasing revenues back in 83. We are still reaping the benifits of low taxes leading to high revenue. Well, not with Obama trying to destroy the economy.

View attachment 16330

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well if we were serious about cutting spending we'd slash our defense spending at least in half. We're not serious, though. We talk about saving a few bucks here or there while we're trillions in debt. Who are we kidding?

I have to disagree with you here Granite, defense is the governments first job for the citizenry, entitlements should be way down on that list. Entitlements are why the government is in debt.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The Defense budget is the one thing that should expand. Once again, you are 180 degrees out. Not that you care what God says, but he says government should wield his sword of vengence.

But specificaly in the US, entitlement spending, or mandatory spending is the cause of all deficits. Take a look at the chart I just put up. The increase is the aging population now getting "checks". That is why the government and social security will go bankrupt. Moving SS around doesn't change its situation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have to disagree with you here Granite, defense is the governments first job for the citizenry, entitlements should be way down on that list. Entitlements are why the government is in debt.

Reducing defense spend isn't the same as eliminating it entirely. Our war machine is big enough as it is.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just talked to a veteran in Walmart and he had very good idea to help the budget and maybe delay the shut down. Too bad I didn't think of it.
Recall Congress' raise. The bums have been giving themselves raises without voter approval. In fact our government hasn't been listening to the people. Instead of by the people and for the people we have by the government and for the government. Shut the baby down for a spell. When their wallets get thin then they might listen to the voters.

Alate_One

So then Bill Clinton isnt' responsible for an economic boom? Interesting you admit it when the place is right.
No, Clinton wasn't responsible for the economic boom. He happened to be in the right place. However taxes on the rich were higher than they are now.

TopTaxBracket_TaxRate_600.jpg

And of course, like everything else the retard says here, AO is way off base. Reductions in discretionary spending paved the way.
There were indeed spending reductions, but there was also a massive increase in revenue, again at higher tax levels.

Tax cuts from Reagan started increasing revenues back in 83. We are still reaping the benifits of low taxes leading to high revenue. Well, not with Obama trying to destroy the economy.
Revenues as measured by actual dollars virtually always increase because of the economy and inflation, no matter what.

The problem is when you adjust them to a percent of GDP it is pretty clear that tax cuts actually hurt revenue.

Tax+Rates+and+Revenue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.