toldailytopic: The Sanctity of Marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
>>>Exactly. Which is why I'd be in support of the gov't getting out of the marriage defining business completely. And why if they stay in the business and legalize gay marriage, it doesn't bother me that much. Marriage is between two people and their God, or lack thereof.

NO. Hello? Marriage laws ARE necessary precisely because there is (in most cases) a child, or children involved.

Since same-sex fun and games do not produce children, the government has no biologic, moral, Constitutional, historic or societal reason to be involved.

What do children have to do with the gov't defining marriage?

Wolf

>>>What do children have to do with the gov't defining marriage?

The federal government is defined in the US Constitution. It must do what it says and *nothing more*. The rest is left to the several States.

The States have always created marriage laws in order to protect the interests of children.

The issue presents itself thus: are the laws that the States have made legal? Tax breaks for heterosexual unions but not for homosexual couples?

The thing to do is to look at the biology, the Constitution, history, morality, etc, and determine what constitutes the interest of the law. Thus, it has no compelling interest in "affirming the happy couple" just so they can have "equal thrills" with heteros. Lo siento.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Marriage legitimatizes family ties, it builds family. Marriage is a union before God and society, bringing a man and woman together. Marriage is an institution with rules, it is not an up for grabs ploy to manipulate. A good healthy society upholds its values; it does not allow them to be degraded into meaninglessness.

Quincy

It's always in the eye of the beholder, I don't think the government uses it for anything but a vote swayer. One point down the line when my generation is holding the offices, good luck recognizing marriage. Anyways, to me it has no meaning, but it is way to protect children.

WizardofOz

Wolf - marriage has nothing necessarily to do with having children. Zero.

Infertility has been mentioned. The conscious choice not to have children by a married couple is another example.

My grandfather died and my grandmother remarried. She wasn't going to have children in her 60s.

It's an obviously fallacious point to make.

Wolf

>>>Wolf - marriage has nothing necessarily to do with having children. Zero....

I think I've said all I need to say on this point.

Peace out.

Grayven

When I fall in love, I want my love stamped with a seal of approval by thieves and murderers (the gov), and I want some church to say its not an abomination.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Marriage legitimatizes family ties, it builds family. Marriage is a union before God and society, bringing a man and woman together. Marriage is an institution with rules, it is not an up for grabs ploy to manipulate. A good healthy society upholds its values; it does not allow them to be degraded into meaninglessness.

Society can value relationships and marriage without the gov't defining it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Society can value relationships and marriage without the gov't defining it.

I agree, in most cases; I think the past barriers on 'race' were wrong. It is a different matter when two men or two women want to get married. I have nothing against civil unions and they would accomplish the same legal rights. No one in the past ever thought that homosexuals would want to get married, it was never considered. To my way of thinking, marriage is always about a legal way to bring loved one into the same family, not a license to cohabitate. I also thing marriage is a sacred institution ordained by God. It makes it a mockery to allow two of the same sex to marry.

I think we need laws when something that does not need such laws becomes out of bounds, with what is assumed to be the social normative standard.

KingLouie

Is marriage anything more than a contract, a legal agreement, between two people?

When did the relationship of marriage get separated from the institution? When did it become an institution?

It's much more than a contract. Its institution dates back to Adam & Eve.

Marriage is an allegory of Christ's love for the Church.
The husband is to love the wife as Christ loves the Church (believer).

A husband sacrifices for his wife, even to the point of giving his life. This isn't just TV drama, it happens in real life scenarios.

Marriage calls us to do things which are un-natural; to act benevolently, to restrain our desires, and harness our tendency towards selfishness.

Marriage also creates the most stable environment in which to foster the spiritual and physical welfare of children.

In a tradidional two-parent household, children experience the duality of God's personality; authority, justice and power from the father; and mercy, kindness, and love from mom. Together these attributes express God's character more completely than in a single parent household.

I know... I can hear the boneheads coming up with a myriad of exceptions, but I'm talking in "generalities" here; the way marriage is supposed to work.

Marriage fails to the extent in which we fail to reflect God.

All this to simply say that God's purpose in marriage, is to reveal himself to us in the realities of the relationship.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: The Sanctity of Marriage.

Well here goes from a very happily married man,
and the nod of his very happily married wife.
Psalmist and Mrs Psalmist​

The sanctity of marriage is for, and is between a man and a woman as God intended.
  • I believe there is a sanctity, sacredness, to marriage. Because God saw man's loneliness, and said it was not good for man to be alone, Eve was created to be Adams companion, thus I believe that God created marriage to be sacred, it is God created, it is meant for love and to be loved, companionship, nurturing; to bring and take responsibility for each other, though I believe the man has the greater part of the marriage responsibility, as a husband is his wife's covering. That marriage is meant to "Complete" each other and not "Compete" with each other, marriage is physical, spiritual, mental, as the two shall become one flesh. It also promotes social well being.
  • The sanctity of marriage is more than a piece of paper, or ceremony. Because marriage should not be entered into thoughtlessly, or irreverently. In a marriage I believe that the vows that are exchanged are no stronger and of resolve than each intends them to be; and that if the avowed obligations be neglected and or violated, they cannot escape the keenest misery, as well as the darkest guilt and sorrow.
  • I believe the that through the sanctity of marriage, that love, honor, and respect for each other grows greater and greater as the years roll by. That believing and realizing the sanctity of marriage it is to cherish each other every day, in sickness and health, whether rich or poor, to remain faithful and to pledge of faithfulness in all things, especially in the sickness and health issues; and through the difficulties as well, the disagreements, job changes, major moves, having children.
I believe . . .
  • A Christian marriage is more sanctified, blessed, than those that are not Christian marriages.
  • For the Christian husband and wife the sanctity or the sacredness in a marriage . . . It is a marriage where love is patient and kind;
    does not envy; does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears, believes, hopes, and endures all things. Their love should be unfailing.
  • That a Christian husband and wife are to be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. They give thanks always for all things together, submit to one another in the fear of God. And show forth the fruit of the Spirit of love, joy, peace, long-suffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Our marriage is blessed and if I had it to do over, would I . . . YES . . . . . . to the same person. It is almost 47 years and we are still working on it together, to continue to have and to hold until one of lays the other back in the arms of the Lord when death has parted us.

Cracked

A husband sacrifices for his wife, even to the point of giving his life. This isn't just TV drama, it happens in real life scenarios.

Marriage calls us to do things which are un-natural; to act benevolently, to restrain our desires, and harness our tendency towards selfishness.

Marriage also creates the most stable environment in which to foster the spiritual and physical welfare of children.

In a tradidional two-parent household, children experience the duality of God's personality; authority, justice and power from the father; and mercy, kindness, and love from mom. Together these attributes express God's character more completely than in a single parent household.

I know... I can hear the boneheads coming up with a myriad of exceptions, but I'm talking in "generalities" here; the way marriage is supposed to work.

All this to simply say that God's purpose in marriage, is to reveal himself to us in the realities of the relationship.

Good post.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Good post.

Ditto :thumb:

zippy2006

>>>Wolf - marriage has nothing necessarily to do with having children. Zero....

I think I've said all I need to say on this point.

Peace out.

I think you make an interesting and overlooked point. At the same time I am unsure whether the government is most concerned with morality as has been pointed out...

It is surely true that marriage itself is very vital to the well-being of children. Once this is understood, it does become an issue and it is tied to marriage in certain ways. A piece in the puzzle.

nicholsmom

Exactly. Which is why I'd be in support of the gov't getting out of the marriage defining business completely. And why if they stay in the business and legalize gay marriage, it doesn't bother me that much. Marriage is between two people and their God, or lack thereof.

I'd be for this except for the undue legal burden it places on men in attaching children to the father. The legal mother is a cinch, but, absent a marriage license, the father would have to file special paperwork to legally attach the child.

nicholsmom

It doesn't matter what we call them. Changing the word doesn't alter what it means to people. Call it 'snugensnoff'.
What a naive perspective. Why do you suppose that politicians are always giving bills titles that reflect the precise opposite of what the bill does ("Partial-birth Abortion Ban" which is a treatise on how to legally murder children in the womb in late-term pregnancies, eg). The fact is, words mean things; changing the meaning of words changes the public concept of that word - "gay" for example.

The government should protect rights and privileges of civil unionship between people.
I agree, and they do.
Not letting a person see his dog at the ER Vet because he/she isn't married to it borders on lunacy.
Erm... your point???
The government shouldn't outlaw any kind of marriage, only grant privileges to couples for legal and economic practicality.
Right. I agree, and the only sort of "economic practicality" would be to expedite the legal attachment of children to their fathers.

BTW, the government doesn't outlaw any kind of marriage. The governments of the several states set certain limits on marriage pertaining to procreation: you can marry anyone you like as long as that person:
1) is not already married (complicates legal attachment of children)
2) is not related to you by blood (up to 2nd cousins - genetics)
3) is a legal adult human being (legally responsible for progeny)
4) is of the opposite gender (can procreate with you)

Some states have other restrictions, but that last one was not added by the founders of the states because they thought that that one would be a no-brainer - the definition of "marriage" precluded the possibility of anything else. But go changing a word, and all sorts of possibilities crop up to muddy the law.

nicholsmom

What about the sanctity of marriage? Is there a such thing?

One can get married then get divorced the next day. You can even get both done at a drive thru. Where is the sanctity there?

Marriage has become the subject of contest shows and reality shows. A viewing public and shove together two people that may not be all that interested in each other. Is that an example of the sanctity of marriage?

People get married for monetary, social or political gains. This has been going on as long as there has been mankind. Is that the sanctity of marriage?

If I buy a mail order bride, does that contribute to preserving the sanctity of marriage?

What about when someone is kidnapped then auctioned off? Is there any sanctity in that marriage?

I knew a gay man that married a Mexican woman that he was friends with so it would be easier for her to become an American citizen. They lived pretty much like roommates. Is that the sanctity of marriage?

Why is it that we only complain about the so called sanctity of marriage when 2 people, that just happen to be the same gender, that genuinely love each other want to get married?
I don't know which "we" you mean here, but I can tell you that all of the affronts to the sanctity of marriage are equally affronts. They savage the institution - give it a bad name and do harm to the perception of society of an institution that is intended to be a safe haven - a place of security in which to rear children and demonstrate the love relationship between our Savior and His bride (the church).

That the name of marriage is brutalized by sick individuals in no way damages the fact that marriage - as instituted by God - is sacred and therefore sanctified. So no, these examples you've given are not examples of the sanctity of marriage; they are examples of the attacks of sinful man upon a sacred institution.

nicholsmom

I'd think that if folks are saying that those couples who can't biologically conceive of children shouldn't be allowed to be legally married there'd be an interest in "ferreting out" these types of "trivialities."
Some of them would be easy - couples where the woman is too old to conceive and homosexual couples, for example. And some have already been ferreted out - blood relations, for genetic reasons. Others would be much less practical, requiring medical information to which the state has no right.

Out of curiosity, would those married couples who haven't had children and have reached an age where they can't conceive anymore have their marriages wiped off the books?
To what benefit to the state? It is added expense - finding these and expunging them would take many man-hours - to no benefit. What would be the point?
Maybe they also ought to be required to refund the benefits that they received while married.
What benefits? There have been only tax penalties to such a couple. The only real benefit of a marriage licence is the attachment of children to their father. All the rest is easily handled with a small amount of legal paperwork.

zoo22

Seems a number of people here would like to redefine "marriage?"

Marriage doesn't necessitate a couple's ability to conceive of children.

Status
Not open for further replies.