toldailytopic: The Plymouth Colony Pilgrims: good guys or bad guys?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 22nd, 2011 09:14 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The pilgrims are definitely good guys. Reasons:
1. They signed the Mayflower compact before disembarking on December 11th 1620 - an agreement to enact just and equal laws for the general good of the colony. It was the first form of self government in the New world
2. After arriving in Massachusetts in late November they were ill prepared for the harsh winters and nearly half the settlers died before Spring. Yet they still persevered in their prayers to God. Assisted by helpful Indians they had a bountiful harvest the following Summer. Grateful, the Pilgrims declared a three day feast starting in December 13th 1621 to thank God for His bounty and to celebrate with their Indian friends. This was the first three day Thanksgiving Festival. Other Feasts of shorter duration had been held as early as 1607 in Virginia.

Source material

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good Guys..They didn't put that vile high fructose corn syrup in their cranberry sauce. :chuckle:

some other dude

They had already fled their ancestral homes in England to seek refuge in Holland, but found Dutch culture to be a corrupting influence on their children. After that, what's a little boat ride?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:plain: i think Pilgrim is a pretty cool guy. eh eats turkeys and doesn’t afraid of anything.

MrRadish

As usual, neither good guys nor bad guys, just guys (and, of course, gals).

Predominantly positive elements included greater equality in some fields between men and women than in Europe at the time, a strong sense of morality, an elected Governor, and a functional system of communal production as opposed to one based on free market principles.

Predominantly negative elements included discriminatory attitudes toward women, other races, and members of other Christian sects, the use of slavery, the extensive use of corporal and in some cases capital punishment, an expansionist attitude toward Native Americans, dangerous superstitions about witchcraft, and the quasi-Puritanical brand of Christian fundamentalism that was their legacy in America.

It's always simplistic to view people as 'good guys' and 'bad guys' whether it's on an individual or social level, and can lead to very dangerous thinking. Sane people always have some reason to be doing what they're doing, even if some of those things are horrible, and it's far more productive to look at the external factors which have led to those actions rather than wasting time making the meaningless distinction between 'goodies' and 'baddies'.

smitty1931

Article on the Sunday Times

Article on the Sunday Times

Excellent article in the newspaper concerning the Pilgrims and the people who came over on the Mayflower. Your library probably gets the Times.

faramir77

Pilgrim Good. They my Sires, and me love them, be they fact or fiction.

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills,
My heart with rapture thrills
Like that above.

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of Liberty,
To thee we sing,
Long may our land be bright
With Freedom's holy light,
Protect us by thy might
Great God, our King.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Good guys.

I watched a docudrama that the History Channel had, "The Untold Story Of The Mayflower," really interesting.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
As usual, neither good guys nor bad guys, just guys (and, of course, gals).

Predominantly positive elements included greater equality in some fields between men and women than in Europe at the time, a strong sense of morality, an elected Governor, and a functional system of communal production as opposed to one based on free market principles.

Predominantly negative elements included discriminatory attitudes toward women, other races, and members of other Christian sects, the use of slavery, the extensive use of corporal and in some cases capital punishment, an expansionist attitude toward Native Americans, dangerous superstitions about witchcraft, and the quasi-Puritanical brand of Christian fundamentalism that was their legacy in America.

It's always simplistic to view people as 'good guys' and 'bad guys' whether it's on an individual or social level, and can lead to very dangerous thinking. Sane people always have some reason to be doing what they're doing, even if some of those things are horrible, and it's far more productive to look at the external factors which have led to those actions rather than wasting time making the meaningless distinction between 'goodies' and 'baddies'.

This is close to my view, more or less. :think:

some other dude

wayne_tg.jpg