toldailytopic: The Oscars: predictions, picks, thoughts?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 24th, 2012 09:05 AM

toldailytopic: The Oscars: predictions, picks, thoughts?

oscars-statues-image-1.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A night of vanity and pride. Speeches by award winners that we could care less about and are way too long. Awards given out to people and movies who don't deserve them and too many dresses cut way down to here or they're the most hideous thing you've ever seen.

Yep, that about sums it up for me.

PureX

I couldn't begin to guess. I don't know what movies or actors have been nominated, and even if I did, I probably haven't see them, anyway. I probably won't see the awards show, either. They're usually pretty boring.

Dena

I couldn't begin to guess. I don't know what movies or actors have been nominated, and even if I did, I probably haven't see them, anyway. I probably won't see the awards show, either. They're usually pretty boring.

I don't know much either. I'd watch something about the fashion but we don't have cable which is where they usually show that stuff.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Artist (2011): Thomas Langmann

The Descendants (2011): Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011): Scott Rudin

The Help (2011): Brunson Green, Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan

Hugo (2011/II): Graham King, Martin Scorsese

Midnight in Paris (2011): Letty Aronson, Stephen Tenenbaum

Moneyball (2011): Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz, Brad Pitt

The Tree of Life (2011): Sarah Green, Bill Pohlad, Dede Gardner, Grant Hill

War Horse (2011): Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy

I have not seen any of them yet, but I will probably watch them all at some point.

Of the previews I've seen, the one that I am most eager to see is War Horse.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I just want to see what the stars are wearing. :idunno:

I don't know the movies well enough to care about who and what wins.

Buzzword

Other than The Help, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I haven't seen any of the movies which have come out this season.

PureX

I actually like the idea of people who share the same creative interests getting together and honoring their peers for displaying exceptional creative energy and production in the preceding year. It's good that artists of any kind be recognized for what they do well. And because the Oscar Awards are decided on mostly by the actors, directors, writers, etc., themselves, they do reflect that creative recognition, I think.

I'm just not personally that interested in the art of cinema. So much of the recognition is a bit lost on me.

I'm personally more interested in music, but sadly, the Grammy Awards have become little more than a two-hour long TV commercial for the worst that the music "industry" has to offer.

Breathe

The Oscars are fun to watch, and it is kinda cool to see what everyone is wearing - but the majority of the movies nominated year after year are as dull as dishwater - with a few notable exceptions.

I'm thinking George Clooney and the ladies from The Help will win big this year.

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
Best Film: The Artist
Best Actor: Brad Pitt
Best Actress: Help leading lady
Best Director: Scorsesi