toldailytopic: Should the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport be legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyChristian

Me thinks you are taking too much testosterone, you sometimes are a bit assertive or aggressive. :p

If everyone is doing it, then it's fair competition, if some want to not play with something that has only been around for a short period of time and choose not to, they're at a disadvantage.

How is that fair?

I haven't read this entire thread. So this may have been stated already.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No drug can get the athlete to pro-level, so there is no question of natural ability. The enhancement drugs just push the peak higher. I have no problem with that, and I don't call it cheating because it isn't.

That's your prerogative, however, I DO consider it cheating. IF they are using a drug which enables them to *reach a higher peak* than the athletes who refrain from gobbling up drugs, then they are indeed cheating.

This, IMO, is on the same level as someone challenging an individual to a fair fight and THEN pulling out a weapon. One person is utilizing their *natural* talent while the other is relying on a weapon to give themselves an advantage.

Seriously, I don't see this as being any different than some little punk who steals the answers to the final exam and THEN brags because he got the highest score in the class.

The only reason that performance enhancers are seen as illicit is because they've been made illegal by people who are not doctors and who want to control other people's lives. There is no more danger in taking them than in taking any prescription medication - all have side effects, many have limits on time of use and precautions on damage that must be assessed regularly. I have a friend who was on a drug for awhile (not performance enhancement) who had to be tested for eye damage every quarter, other drugs require periodic testing for liver damage, and the like. It's a balancing act for the doctor and the patient.

Of course, this argument could be made in favor of legalizing ANY illicit drug or even doing away with the age limit for drinking.

Athletes don't have a death wish any more than do the general population, nor are they interested in causing their bodies harm (their bodies provide that bread and butter), so we needn't worry that they will go "doctor shopping" or anything stupid like that. The main reason for "doctor shopping" nowadays is for things that are over-regulated that ought not to be - therapeutic marijuana, and performance enhancers among them.

Since when are you for the government getting between the patient and doctor? Doesn't sound like you.

Actually, it is quite consistent for me to be against ANY type of activity that endangers the lives of others. I am against steroid use for the same reason I am against drunk driving, use of other harmful drugs (cocaine, meth, PCP, etc.)

These kind of drugs can and have affected people in such a way that they put others in harms way. The most recent case that comes to mind is the double murder and suicide involving Chris Benoit.

Here is a website that with a list of some deceased athletes who have died from steroid abuse.

http://www.athletesagainststeroids.org/pgs/steroiddeaths.php

Here is what NIDA (National Institute for Drug Abuse) has to say about steroids:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/ResearchReports/Steroids/Anabolicsteroids.html

From the Director
Persistent reports of anabolic steroid abuse by professional athletes, many of whom are regarded as role models by young people, highlight the fact that we are now facing a very damaging message in our society—that bigger is better, and being the best is more important than how you get there.

Abuse of anabolic steroids differs from the abuse of other illicit substances because the initial abuse of anabolic steroids is not driven by the immediate euphoria that accompanies most drugs of abuse, such as cocaine, heroin, and marijuana, but by the desire of abusers to change their appearance and performance, characteristics of great importance to adolescents. The effects of steroids can boost confidence and strength, leading abusers to overlook the potential serious and long-term damage that these substances can cause.

While anabolic steroids can enhance certain types of performance or appearance, they are dangerous drugs, and when used inappropriately they can cause a host of severe, long-lasting, and in some cases, irreversible negative health consequences. Anabolic steroids can lead to early heart attacks, strokes, liver tumors, kidney failure, and serious psychiatric problems. In addition, because steroids are often injected, users who share needles or use nonsterile techniques when they inject steroids are at risk for contracting dangerous infections, such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C.

And as to cheating - how is it cheating? I'm not getting that. It's like saying that using a calculator on a Physics test is cheating, or using a car to get to town faster and carry more groceries is cheating. It isn't cheating to use a tool.

Not even comparable. A more valid comparison would be a student stealing the answers to the Physics test, memorizing them and THEN acing the test.

BTW, if steroids are no big deal, why do you suppose they are not legal in sports?

Beeks is wrong about athletes not working as hard when they are using enhancers - it's a common misconception. These guys are like him - they work as hard as they possibly can, and when they take the enhancers, it doesn't change that - they work harder because they can. Their personalities make them hard workers - their natural performance proves that out, and when they pick up that tool, they just work harder. I can't see that as cheating.

Actually, Beeks is right on this. However, it isn't the fact that they are cheating that bothers me the most. It is the fact that they are using a dangerous drug that doesn't just endanger themselves, but also anyone who is unlucky enough to be around them should they be experiencing "Roid Rage".

BabyChristian

That's your prerogative, however, I DO consider it cheating. IF they are using a drug which enables them to *reach a higher peak* than the athletes who refrain from gobbling up drugs, then they are indeed cheating.

This, IMO, is on the same level as someone challenging an individual to a fair fight and THEN pulling out a weapon. One person is utilizing their *natural* talent while the other is relying on a weapon to give themselves an advantage.

Seriously, I don't see this as being any different than some little punk who steals the answers to the final exam and THEN brags because he got the highest score in the class.

Of course, this argument could be made in favor of legalizing ANY illicit drug or even doing away with the age limit for drinking.

Actually, it is quite consistent for me to be against ANY type of activity that endangers the lives of others. I am against steroid use for the same reason I am against drunk driving, use of other harmful drugs (cocaine, meth, PCP, etc.)

These kind of drugs can and have affected people in such a way that they put others in harms way. The most recent case that comes to mind is the double murder and suicide involving Chris Benoit.

Here is a website that with a list of some deceased athletes who have died from steroid abuse.

http://www.athletesagainststeroids.org/pgs/steroiddeaths.php

Here is what NIDA (National Institute for Drug Abuse) has to say about steroids:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/ResearchReports/Steroids/Anabolicsteroids.html

From the Director
Persistent reports of anabolic steroid abuse by professional athletes, many of whom are regarded as role models by young people, highlight the fact that we are now facing a very damaging message in our society—that bigger is better, and being the best is more important than how you get there.

Abuse of anabolic steroids differs from the abuse of other illicit substances because the initial abuse of anabolic steroids is not driven by the immediate euphoria that accompanies most drugs of abuse, such as cocaine, heroin, and marijuana, but by the desire of abusers to change their appearance and performance, characteristics of great importance to adolescents. The effects of steroids can boost confidence and strength, leading abusers to overlook the potential serious and long-term damage that these substances can cause.

While anabolic steroids can enhance certain types of performance or appearance, they are dangerous drugs, and when used inappropriately they can cause a host of severe, long-lasting, and in some cases, irreversible negative health consequences. Anabolic steroids can lead to early heart attacks, strokes, liver tumors, kidney failure, and serious psychiatric problems. In addition, because steroids are often injected, users who share needles or use nonsterile techniques when they inject steroids are at risk for contracting dangerous infections, such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C.

Not even comparable. A more valid comparison would be a student stealing the answers to the Physics test, memorizing them and THEN acing the test.

BTW, if steroids are no big deal, why do you suppose they are not legal in sports?

Actually, Beeks is right on this. However, it isn't the fact that they are cheating that bothers me the most. It is the fact that using a dangerous drug that doesn't just endanger themselves, but also anyone who is unlucky enough to be around them should they be experiencing "Roid Rage".

My husband saw lots of that roid rage when he was weight lifting. He told me it was very obvious to him who was doing it.

picture.php

Last edited:

Ps82

I agree with those who say that steroids can harm a person. I have relatives that are doctors ... who say that they are concerned about the long term effects on a person's body from taking steroids.

I also agree with people, who say that a person on steroids feels pretty good - even empowered ... but, even so, I don't believe in reality that I was any stronger ... I think I just felt - had less pain.

Now, would this feeling of empowerment make me more talented? Would it make me take more chances?

I think it would made me feel like trying to do better, because I would be without the pain ... and maybe I would take more chances ... BUT... I don't think it would make me more talented.

Therefore, taking more chances could be a bad thing ... since I was not necessarily more talented.

Steroids may have made it possible for a person to act aggressively ... but his talent was something he had trained for.

I don't know why this would be a crime. Maybe there should be rules for making sports more safe for athletes.

When they have injuries ... they should be given whatever medications are prescribed by their doctors, but also there should be required periods of time for proper healing. Medications should be monitored, not to convict an athlete, but to protect that athlete.

Maybe the way leagues draw up contracts with athletes should be reconsidered. Athletes perhaps should get all their money up-front for a designated period of time. If injuries occur... then they would already have their money that warranted their injury risks ... plus the insurance benefits due them to recover.

I am open to all comments, because I am not a sports enthusiast and may not understand all the aspects of professional sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.