toldailytopic: Should the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport be legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 14th, 2010 11:55 AM

toldailytopic: Should the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport be legalized?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

antiknight

I say legalize them! Lets push the limits of human ingenuity. What difference does it make? After all, performance enhancing drugs are not really that different from other performance enhancing techniques such as space-age workout devices and routines. Lets further advance evolution by removing the boundaries.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No they shouldn't be legalized for sports. The whole point of playing sports is for the competition and accomplishment.

Using performance enhancing drugs in sports makes as much sense as allowing beauty contestants who have been cosmetically altered to compete in a pageant.

antiknight

No they shouldn't be legalized for sports. The whole point of playing sports is for the competition and accomplishment.
Why isn't it an accomplishment to puch the limits of what a human can do?

Using performance enhancing drugs in sports makes as much sense as allowing beauty contestants who have been cosmetically altered to compete in a pageant.
I think that's a good idea as well!

Maybe we should create two classifications in sports:

1. Natural. (no performance enhancing techniques)
2. Enhanced. (unlimited use of performance enhancing techniques)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think trying to stamp out drug-use in sports is a waste of time. It's like trying to ban smoking. Better to build a healthy competition where we might be justified in trusting and respecting our athletes.

And, yes .. that can be done.

Mr. Beeks

Absolutely not. It would force everyone to take them just to be competitive, and it's fairly well established that taking steroids is like playing Russian Roulette.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why isn't it an accomplishment to puch the limits of what a human can do?

Because it's done artificially.

I think that's a good idea as well!

Maybe we should create two classifications in sports:

1. Natural. (no performance enhancing techniques)
2. Enhanced. (unlimited use of performance enhancing techniques)

In regards to steroids specifically, I would be against ANY use of them unless they are prescribed by a physician for legitimate medical use.

I don't see *bulking up* as being a good enough reason to use such a dangerous drug.

antiknight

Because it's done artificially.
What exactly does that mean?

I don't see *bulking up* as being a good enough reason to use such a dangerous drug.
Bulking up is only beneficial in some sports (body building etc.). In other sports, running faster, jumping higher, swinging a bat faster, etc etc etc., basically every aspect of human athleticism can be enhanced. I don't see anything wrong with that.

GuySmiley

I think the should NOT be legalized. All players would feel pressure to use them, or be forced to use them, and they are very bad for your health. BUT . . .

I think there is an option worse than legalizing them! And that is what we have now. They are 'kind of' illegal. If they were truly illegal, then a player found using them should be removed from the sport permanently. All their records should be erased from the books. And in no way should they even be considered for the hall of fame.

The leagues now sort of tap dance around the issue. They want to make the drugs illegal, but they dont want to condemn the hero's of their sport either.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What exactly does that mean?

Bulking up is only beneficial in some sports (body building etc.). In other sports, running faster, jumping higher, swinging a bat faster, etc etc etc., basically every aspect of human athleticism can be enhanced. I don't see anything wrong with that.

IF they actually have the talent it takes to compete, they don't need to utilize dangerous drugs.

antiknight

IF they actually have the talent it takes to compete, they don't need to utilize dangerous drugs.
Do you think all performance enhancing drugs are dangerous?

And... is the danger the only reason you oppose them? Are you "OK" with safe performance enhancing drugs?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And... is the danger the only reason you oppose them? Are you "OK" with safe performance enhancing drugs?

No, I wouldn't be okay with enhancement drugs even if they were safe. In a competition, I consider it cheating.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How and where do you draw the line?

What qualifies a supplement as illegal in your opinion?

Drugs that are not being used for their intended purpose and that can cause irrational/violent behavior.

antiknight

Drugs that are not being used for their intended purpose and that can cause irrational/violent behavior.
Many performance enhancing drugs are being used EXACTLY for their intended purpose and many of them are no more dangerous than any other supplement.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Many performance enhancing drugs are being used EXACTLY for their intended purpose and many of them are no more dangerous than any other supplement.

Which ones? I am speaking mainly of steroids.

The Berean

In time PED's will be a thing of the past. There is a substance called myostatin that is secreted by the body to inhibit muscle growth. When an animal or a person doesn't produce myostatin they acquire large muscle mass and super strength. For several years this condition was seen in animals like dogs and cattle. In 2004 the first human case was discovered. A second case was discovered in the US in 2005. It will not be long before someone will develop a drug to inhibit the myostatin secretion in a regular person. I have no doubts professional athletes will jump on this drug soon after. Here is an example of a whippet dog with the condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.