toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts be forced to change their anti-gay policy?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Effective education helps in the culture war. Harsh rebuke also helps (in the right circumstance). We need to show wisdom. We need to know when it's appropriate to employ harsh rebuke and when it's not.

I've been doing this for much longer than you have, maybe.... just maybe... you could consider what I am telling you.

With all due respect sir, we're dealing with the same crowd that have been atheists for years, and have no desire to change. The only desire they have is to push their God-hating agenda.

Show me a newbie that wants to hear the truth, and I'll be there with kid gloves sharing it with them.

Granite, Rusha and Ralphie's "friend" Zeus, haven't the least bit of desire to change.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, it is not fangless.
On several occasions I tried to have a civil exchange with you. We agree, in principle, on some foundation truths.
You were disrespectful, making fun of my age and gender.
My feelings were hurt so I have stayed away from you.

Obviously you're here to turn this into yet another TOL gossip column.

I've made my points. Have a nice day. :)

Buzzword

Okay, I'm confused.

The article seemed to indicate that Wahls wants to change the organization from WITHIN, by collecting signatures and petitioning the Scouts' governing body to change their policy.

It seems like this thread is more about the federal government forcing the Scouts to change their policy.

Do I think the Scouts should change their policy?
Yes. It sends the wrong message to children when their parents are prevented from taking part in their activities for something other than a criminal record, especially when their parents are WILLING and ABLE to take part, in today's world where every parent is forced to work multiple jobs to barely break even.

Do I think the Scouts should be forced to change their policy by government action?
No. A private organization which is not acting violently in its discriminatory policies has the right under law to make its own policies.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yet we hear the term "gay youth" by the sodomite movement daily. Obviously the homosexual movement thinks that children have that supposed "right" to have deviant sex (often times with their elders).
They have the right to self identify with an orientation for sure but that should not be binding or meaningful as they aren't suposed to be having sex and if they are it's reportable.
I thought you claimed to be a cop? have you dropped that charade?

Because homosexual pedophiles and atheists do lie
As do people on the internet and elsewhere......
(as you've shown us in your post),
Yup, as a sixteen year old I didn't feel a need to make my Atheism a central part of my speech when I ran for Senior Patrol Leader. Nobody ever really asked.
the Boy Scouts do thorough background checks to make sure that moral degenerates don't get in their ranks as leaders.
I've never been arrested for being an Atheist so it dosen't come up when you run my drivers license. Same holds true for most Gays despite your delusions to the contrary.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think private clubs and groups should be subject to anti-discrimination laws?

Absolutely not.

Shouldn't we have the right to assemble the way we see fit?

Of course ... the only time there should be an exception to that rule is if the assembly was for the purpose of criminal activity.

Lets say a few neighbors start a weekly Bible study group in one of our houses. Another neighbor is a muslim and he wants to come to the study as well and read passages from the Koran. Should we be allowed to exclude him?

Yes, you should. If his intent is to convert others, he doesn't belong in such a group to begin with. If, OTOH, he is there for social interaction, interest or to learn, that's a completely different scenario. I would hope the group in question would allow someone truly interested to stay.

Or should the government force us to disband or allow the Muslim neighbor to preach at our Bible study?

No ... that goes against everything our country stands for.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rusha, in her/his? typical uninformed mode, seems to think

Please do not presume to tell me what *I* think. I always use generalizations rather than having to go back and waste time explaining that I was speaking of some rather than all.

PureX

Okay, I'm confused.

The article seemed to indicate that Wahls wants to change the organization from WITHIN, by collecting signatures and petitioning the Scouts' governing body to change their policy.

It seems like this thread is more about the federal government forcing the Scouts to change their policy.

Do I think the Scouts should change their policy?
Yes. It sends the wrong message to children when their parents are prevented from taking part in their activities for something other than a criminal record, especially when their parents are WILLING and ABLE to take part, in today's world where every parent is forced to work multiple jobs to barely break even.

Do I think the Scouts should be forced to change their policy by government action?
No. A private organization which is not acting violently in its discriminatory policies has the right under law to make its own policies.
Good points, each. But changes coming from within the Scouts is an internal issue. I am not a member of the Boy Scouts so it isn't really any of my business what they do or how they decide those things.

I would seek to protect their freedom from outside mandates, though, because if I allow such infringement upon the Scout's freedoms, I am in effect inviting such infringement upon my own. So then it does become my business. All of ours, in fact.

fool

Hall of Fame
So you think the government should step in and force the Scouts to tolerate homosexuals and even allow them to be troop leaders?
Never said that, I said I'd like to see The Scouts come around of their own accord.
I'm fairly certain that would spell the end of the Scouts. I'm guessing a large portion of folks would feel very uncomfortable with openly gay troop leaders.
The times the are a changin....
Seriously though, the "Leaders" are people who couldn't think of an excuse not to be, my wife was a den leader cause if she didn't there wouldn't have been a den.
I'd find it suspicious if a person with no kid, no stake in the troop wanted to lead it but if two lesbians have a son in Scouts then why punish the kid?

fool

Hall of Fame
They can't go camping without the Scouts? :idunno:

Can't go camping with the Scouts without the Scouts.
Should a twelve year old have to prove he's Hetero to join the Scouts?
If so what is the test? We used to do a annual joint Boy Scout Girl Scout camp out that settled alot of questions right there :D

PureX

Seriously though, the "Leaders" are people who couldn't think of an excuse not to be, my wife was a den leader cause if she didn't there wouldn't have been a den.
I'd find it suspicious if a person with no kid, no stake in the troop wanted to lead it but if two lesbians have a son in Scouts then why punish the kid?
Yes, it's really a shame that a bunch of kids, who just want to camp and have fun together, and who don't know or care about who's gay and who isn't, can't be the focus, here. That instead, we have to have all these idiot adults whining about who's gay and who isn't and who can be around their kids and who can't and basically ruining it for the young people that the whole thing is supposed to be for.

Gay doesn't mean pedophile. But you can't tell a homophobe or bigot that, because they just won't hear it. They NEED their foolish prejudices and presumptions to justify their fear and hate, and their intent to foist those onto their children (and onto everyone else's, too).

But freedom means that they have the right to be idiots, and to behave like fools. And I will protect their right to do so even though I don't like what they do with it. To do anything less would invite the end of all our freedom, and to let that happen for the sake of a few fools would just make fools of us all.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Effective education helps in the culture war. Harsh rebuke also helps (in the right circumstance). We need to show wisdom. We need to know when it's appropriate to employ harsh rebuke and when it's not.

I've been doing this for much longer than you have, maybe.... just maybe... you could consider what I am telling you.

Trust him he is the most interesting man in the world :doh:

fool

Hall of Fame
With all due respect Knight, I find it harmful to argue with he that holds the ban button.
Get in there ya pansy!
I been banned six er eight times and I'm HOF.
Granite is HOF and he was Red just a few days ago.
This place is work.

I'm busy fighting a culture war.
You're busy making a jackass of your self and competing with The Horn for most commonly detested poster on here.
So at least you're coming in second on something.
And since he's red right now I guess you win.
Congratulations.
"Civil disscussions" won't get us out of the moral hellhole that we're currently in.
Well since TOL dosen't have a "reach thru screen and strangle other poster" button disscussion is all you have available to you.
Do the math.
Educating good people will.
Educate? nobody even listens to you. Their looking for the strangle button, plenty of people say the same things you say without anyone wanting to strangle them. You're a joke. Don't go thru life being a joke.