toldailytopic: Ron Paul. At CPAC Ron Paul won the straw poll as their top potential p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked

You know, the time maybe coming when people might finally decide to look past GOP/Democrat garbage and attempt to think on their own - which could be good or very, very bad.

If Obama continues to struggle as he has, and after the disastrous presidency of Bush, Americans might just get fed up. I guess my point is that this next election may be the best opportunity in a very long time for a third party candidate to run. Now, if Paul intends to upset the apple cart a bit too much, who knows what corruption could befall our election process to keep him out.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not talking about the UN per say, but why do you not support a global government? Authority flows downhill, right? I'm just following this to the logical conclusion.

That isn't the logical conclusion. The UN is just as wrong as home owners association that say how tall the fence can be. And it isn't the same as the several states, which are subordinate to the government.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dr. Paul is a decent, intelligent, well-spoken man of principle. As such he'll never reach any office higher than the House of Representatives.

His winning the straw poll is nice, and it shows he's still well-respected, but I think we've seen the last of his Quixotic runs for the White House. Hopefully his philosophy has a positive impact on our nation's policy discussions.

Newman

I agree with Granite, Cracked, Mike C., kmoney, and mmstroud.

I rarely ever differ with Ron Paul's view. I don't think he has much of a chance for the White House, but I know each time he tries more and more people learn and get excited about individual freedom, personal responsibility, free markets, sound money, and non-interventionism. And I can't be disappointed about that.

The Berean

Dr. Paul is a decent, intelligent, well-spoken man of principle. As such he'll never reach any office higher than the House of Representatives.

His winning the straw poll is nice, and it shows he's still well-respected, but I think we've seen the last of his Quixotic runs for the White House. Hopefully his philosophy has a positive impact on our nation's policy discussions.

I never understood why Paul, if he was really serious about running for President, never visited my home state of California, specifically the Silicon Valley during the election season? You know Dr. Paul we do have the most electoral votes of any state in the union. That might make California an important stop don't you think? :think:

The only Silicon Valley trip Paul made before the '08 election season that I could find was in July 2007. But the venue only held 200 people and one had to pay $100 to get in. Gee, that's a great way to get the people of Silicon Valley to get to know Dr. Paul. :noid:

drbrumley

I never understood why Paul, if he was really serious about running for President, never visited my home state of California, specifically the Silicon Valley during the election season? You know Dr. Paul we do have the most electoral votes of any state in the union. That might make California an important stop don't you think? :think:

The only Silicon Valley trip Paul made before the '08 election season that I could find was in July 2007. But the venue only held 200 people and one had to pay $100 to get in. Gee, that's a great way to get the people of Silicon Valley to get to know Dr. Paul. :noid:

Well, if I remember right, it was due to California already being claimed by Romney or McCain, and it was a huge lead. I do agree though that it should have been more contested though.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
While Roe v. Wade is invalid, a federal law banning abortion across all 50 states would be equally invalid

Here's a link to a summary of the Sanctity of Life Act of 2009 (H.R. 2533) sponsored by Dr. Paul:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2533&tab=summary

And because I don't have any confidence you'll actually read it, here it is:

5/20/2009--Introduced.
Sanctity of Life Act of 2009 - Deems human life to exist from conception, without regard to race, sex, age, health, defect, or condition of dependency and requires that the term "person" include all such human life. Recognizes that each state has authority to protect the lives of unborn children residing in the jurisdiction of that state . Amends the federal judicial code to remove Supreme Court and district court jurisdiction to review cases arising out of any statute, ordinance, rule, regulation, or practice, or any act interpreting such a measure, on the grounds that such measure: (1) protects the rights of human persons between conception and birth; or (2) prohibits, limits, or regulates the performance of abortions or the provision of public funds, facilities, personnel, or other assistance for abortions. Makes this Act and the amendments made by this Act applicable to any case pending on, or commenced on or after, the date of enactment.​
An excerpt from Ron Paul's Statement of Faith, found of the page I linked to earlier:

We live in times of great uncertainty when men of faith must stand up for our values and our traditions lest they be washed away in a sea of fear and relativism. As you likely know, I am running for President of the United States, and I am asking for your support.

I have never been one who is comfortable talking about my faith in the political arena. In fact, the pandering that typically occurs in the election season I find to be distasteful. But for those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do. I know, as you do, that our freedoms come not from man, but from God. My record of public service reflects my reverence for the Natural Rights with which we have been endowed by a loving Creator.

I have worked tirelessly to defend and restore those rights for all Americans, born and unborn alike. The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideal of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman. In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, H.R. 1094. I am also the prime sponsor of H.R. 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn. I have also authored H.R. 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.” Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken and will continue to advocate direct action to restore protection for the unborn.​
Ron Paul speaks clearly for himself. He certainly doesn't need you putting words in his mouth or taking them out of context.

WizardofOz

quote mines to suit himself

My, you are a dense one.

He's not a federalist. That statement has nothing to do with his view on abortion.

Ron Paul said:
The federal government should not play any role in the abortion issue, according to the Constitution. Apart from waiting forever for Supreme Court justices who rule in accordance with the Constitution, Americans do have some legislative recourse. Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution gives Congress the power to strip the federal courts of jurisdiction over a broad categories of cases.

Ron Paul said:
I know we’re all interested in a better court system and amending the constitution to protect life. But sometimes I think that is dismissing the way we can handle this much quicker, and my bill removes the jurisdiction of the federal courts from the issue of abortion, if a state law says no abortion, it doesn’t go to the supreme court to be ruled out of order.

Ron Paul said:
I’m surprised that I don’t have more co-sponsors for my Sanctity of Life Act. It removes the jurisdiction from the federal courts & allows the states to pass protection to the unborn. Instead of waiting years for a Constitutional Amendment, this would happen immediately, by majority vote in the Congress and a president’s signature. It’s a much easier way to accomplish this, by following what our Constitution directs us. Instead of new laws, let’s just use what we have & pass this type of legislation.

I know it's complicated Nick, it's called a strategy.

Something most RTL organizations clearly lack.

drbrumley

My, you are a dense one.

He's not a federalist. That statement has nothing to do with his view on abortion.

I know it's complicated Nick, it's called a strategy.

Something most RTL organizations clearly lack.

You know Wiz, what I find ironic enough I guess is that Bob Enyart and company are giddy with excitement talking about all the personhood amendments in the states being talked about, getting the signatures (of which I do stand with you Bob on this, as I am extremely happy about it as well) and yet he rails against those efforts on his talk show by saying stupid things like Nick just said.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I like Ron Paul because he is the only politician I know of that actually makes sense when he talks. He's humble towards his opponents and always replies with well-reasoned arguments. He's also faithful to the Constitution, and I always have thought we'd be a better nation if we aimed back towards it (concerning state's rights). That way, I can find a state that agrees with my values instead of risking the federal government legislating things I think are wrong (like abortion).

One of the things I like about RP is that he doesn't act like a politician. Agree with his politics or not, I don't think anyone can deny that he speaks straight and genuinely.

Mike C.

One of the things I like about RP is that he doesn't act like a politician. Agree with his politics or not, I don't think anyone can deny that he speaks straight and genuinely.

Exactly! He has caused me to consider things I never paid attention to, because he's actually honest about them. I can trust that he would not compromise himself if elected.

Ron Paul, the un-politician.

WizardofOz

You know Wiz, what I find ironic enough I guess is that Bob Enyart and company are giddy with excitement talking about all the personhood amendments in the states being talked about, getting the signatures (of which I do stand with you Bob on this, as I am extremely happy about it as well) and yet he rails against those efforts on his talk show by saying stupid things like Nick just said.

;)

No kidding. You've noticed that too, huh?

Why criticize state rights politicians if you're going to support state rights initiatives?

Granite

Hall of Fame

I think Paul knew he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being elected and saw his campaign more as a means of raising awareness about the topics near and dear to him. Dr. Paul's a lot of things but he's not stupid, or naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.