toldailytopic: Once in heaven, will you have the option to leave?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 9th, 2012 09:45 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
No. Since God is the Summum Bonum, once you're in Heaven (if you make it there), every desire of the human heart will be brought to rest. You will have exactly what you want, and you won't desire anything else: to know and love God forever.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I think yes. Satan and his legions were with God and chose to leave so I think we would have that same option. However, given that there is really only one place to go if you are not in heaven, I can't imagine actually wanting to leave.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Maybe if one believes that God is "in time". He might look at His watch and say "if you want out of paradise you better do it before noon".

PureX

Now that's a pretty interesting question.

I guess the easy answer is to ask who would want to? But I think that's too easy.

Heaven is not something I think that much about in terms of pretending to know what it would be like, but if I were to throw out a guess, I'd say the nature of such an 'afterlife' would be more or less undeniable. I tend to think that such an existence would be our 'home' in the most profound sense of that term. It would be where we most belong, and best fit in. It would be in effect the fulfillment of our being. To leave it would be like willfully cleaving ourselves from ourselves, sort of. And I don't see that as even being possible, let alone desirable.

So my guess is that if there is a 'heaven', it will be our ultimate goal. There will be no other state to which we could or would aspire.

And that's a nice thing to think about, now that I'm thinking about it.

Ps82

I had the same thought as sky: Where would you go?
I don't think people would want God to re-establish hell and the Lake of Fire ... so if they went somewhere else ... It would be a place God created for them to enjoy in the first place.

So here are more questions to ponder:
Now, if we have a LORD, who is that GOOD to us ... why would we want to leave his many benefits? It would take really stupid!
So, does stupid make it to heaven ... or is it culled from the kingdom by its going the way with the lost?
Might stupid simply be abolished along with hell, death, and the grave?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes. That's why we'll be reduced in size to be little fat babies with big wings, so we can fly at will from cloud to cloud playing our ten stringed harps.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Why would you want to?

I think yes. Satan and his legions were with God and chose to leave so I think we would have that same option. However, given that there is really only one place to go if you are not in heaven, I can't imagine actually wanting to leave.
Lucifer wasn't given a choice. And rebellious angels are also not given the opportunity to be reconciled; we are. And as we are reconciled we cannot be thrown out for rebellion as they were.

Not that we would rebel once there, which I think is maybe the question behind the question when most people ask this.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Yes. That's why we'll be reduced in size to be little fat babies with big wings, so we can fly at will from cloud to cloud playing our ten stringed harps.

I had heard that it is cold there. That's why everyone wears a robe.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:freak: Why would I want to? It's a place lit with God's Glory. Where would I go? Heaven is a place where there is no sin to tempt us.
Let's think this through---Things like selfishness, which Satan's rebellion was, are sins. Heaven has no sin. I just don't see it happening.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 9th, 2012 09:45 AM

I believe having the option makes sense when you consider free will.
However, I can't imagine anyone would exercise that option. :idunno:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Options can only exist where there is a possibility for desire. A desire to be separate from the Lord can only come from the flesh. But we will be redeemed at that point, not only spiritually but also physically.
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. II Cor. 5:1
That house - our physically redeemed body - is eternal in the heavens. Not temporary in the heavens. If we could leave, it would be "temporal in the heavens."

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Options can only exist where there is a possibility for desire. A desire to be separate from the Lord can only come from the flesh. But we will be redeemed at that point, not only spiritually but also physically.
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. II Cor. 5:1
That house - our physically redeemed body - is eternal in the heavens. Not temporary in the heavens. If we could leave, it would be "temporal in the heavens."

:e4e:

After Gen 1:1, sin and death were possible.
After Rev 21:1, sin and death is impossible, having been destroyed.

I don't fully comprehend it, but I sho' believe it.

:thumb: You guys sure have a way with words!