toldailytopic: Libya and Gaddafi: How should the world respond to the events happenin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulos

This is what my son say about all these Arab countries that harbor and abet terrorists, Libya included. Lets bomb the day lights out of them and convert them into one big parking lot.:nascar: Sounds callous, but it would solve our terrorism problem.

It would also kill a bunch of innocent men, women, and children who have nothing to do with terrorism. Who's the terrorist now? (Hint: Look in the mirror.)

Squishes

Maybe it's just me but I think genocide isn't the solution . . .

It's hard to believe a Christian would suggest this, even in jest.

A simple google search would suggest that the "parking lot" theme is a prevalent fantasy among conservative Christians.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
But I don't think letting Lybia go the route of the muslim brotherhood is a great idea. We could be going from frying pan to the fire.

:plain: Too late...already there; all this "durrhurrr democracy am breaking out!!1!1!" stuff is baloney.......but, not much can be done about it. In the end we're going to wind up with a gaggle of Irans.

:idunno: BTW...If, in five years or so, it turns out I'm wrong about this then I'll be more than happy to admit it....but I don't think I am.

Squishes

:plain: Too late...already there; all this "durrhurrr democracy am breaking out!!1!1! stuff is baloney.......but, not much can be done about it. In the end we're going to wind up with a gaggle of Irans.

:idunno: BTW...If, in five years or so, it turns out I'm wrong about this then I'll be more than happy to admit it....but I don't think I am.

I'm worried that this will be the case as well.
Most of the governments being overthrown are extremely corrupt, but "Western"-friendly. There is ample opportunity for anti-secular, theocratic political groups to take power.

Paulos

:plain: Too late...already there; all this "durrhurrr democracy am breaking out!!1!1!" stuff is baloney.......but, not much can be done about it. In the end we're going to wind up with a gaggle of Irans.

In case you haven't noticed, there is quite a large percentage of the Iranian population who don't like their repressive regime, and we may yet see them rise up there as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/09/3159722.htm

All over the world, the human spirit yearns to breath free...

Alate_One

Genocide is trying to eliminate a nation because of malice. Eliminating enemies is a good thing, and God in the Bible condones it. I realize you are atheist and don't like him, so you don't have to respond.
I realize you're an idiot and thus can't tell the difference between enemies and innocent civilians. There were specific instances where God told Israel to eliminate a particular enemy. That doesn't mean it's a general command to annihilate entire peoples whenever *some* of them do something bad. (also never mind the fact there are Christians in these countries)

To the contrary . . . .
But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

But I guess you don't read ALL of the Bible, just the parts that agree with your angry heart.

The definition of Genocide doesn't have anything to do with malice. The 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2 states

"any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

So I guess for Nick, Christians that don't agree with him are atheists.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Can you explain this more?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'm worried that this will be the case as well.
Most of the governments being overthrown are extremely corrupt, but "Western"-friendly. There is ample opportunity for anti-secular, theocratic political groups to take power.

Exactly :plain:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Why....of course it does. :)

mlittlemarysunshine.gif

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Don't get me wrong. There is cause for concern, but there is at least as much cause for hope, if not more. What has been happening recently in many of these countries is very encouraging, but it seems some people only want to see a negative outcome to things.

Believe me when I say that absolutely nothing on this earth would make me happier than if I am to be proven wrong on this issue. :plain:

bybee

In case you haven't noticed, there is quite a large percentage of the Iranian population who don't like their repressive regime, and we may yet see them rise up there as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/09/3159722.htm

I don't think so! Most people will give up personal freedom if a demagogue comes along and tells them how wonderful they are. Someone like Hitler who sold a demoralized Germany on its manifest destiny to rule the world.

PyramidHead

Genocide is trying to eliminate a nation because of malice. Eliminating enemies is a good thing, and God in the Bible condones it. I realize you are atheist and don't like him, so you don't have to respond.

No, genocide is the systematic annihilation of a people, regardless of 'malice' or otherwise.

Genocide for Jesus!
(disgusting)

WizardofOz

We should stay out of it! Now we're in another UN proxy war.....firing 100+ Tomahawk missiles into Libya against Gaddafi isn't "peace keeping".

Team America: World Police.....the trilogy. We'll never learn. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.