toldailytopic: Jesus was a Jew, so therefore shouldn't Christians follow Him and be J

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Isn’t one born Jewish? Do you mean, should Christians practice Judaism like Jesus did? No one has been able to practice Judaism like Jesus did since the destruction of the temple. If God wanted the practice to continue, He’d make sure there was a temple in Jerusalem.

Yep!

Watch!

surrender

GOD in His pure essence is infinite Spirit.
In the beginning and afterwards, GOD revealed Himself to man as the 'Memra'/ 'Messenger of YHVH' in an apparent human form.
In the miraculous conception of the man Jesus, the 'Memra' added literal human flesh, which was Jewish, to His person.
The 'Memra' had no beginning.
The Jewish humanity had a beginning.
The Jewish man, Jesus/Yeshua and the infinite 'Memra'/D'var/Logos
are eternally joined as one 'person'.
Yes GOD is a Jew.

"How odd of GOD to choose the Jew,
yet, not quite so odd as those who choose the Jewish GOD
but hate the Jew."-unknown author
Nice! :thumb:

Dena

@ Dena

Did Ha'Shem dwell in the Tabernacle and in Solomon's Temple?
I believe God "dwells" everywhere. In a Temple, in a grocery store, in my pencil, in my glass of water, in a rock on Mars. Everywhere.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe God "dwells" everywhere. In a Temple, in a grocery store, in my pencil, in my glass of water, in a rock on Mars. Everywhere.

I also believe that GOD exists everywhere, but is there not a distinction between GOD's omnipresence/ubiquity and the literal, tangible 'dwelling' presence of His 'Glory'?

Exo 29:42 This shall be a continual burnt offering throughout your generations at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD: where I will meet you, to speak there unto thee.
Exo 29:43 And there I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by my glory.
Exo 29:44 And I will sanctify the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office.
Exo 29:45 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.
Exo 29:46 And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, that brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them: I am the LORD their God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In Matt 5:17-19, Jesus is speaking to Jews--participants in the Mosaic covenant. Gentiles have never been part of that covenant.
Ephesians 2:11 (NASB) Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands—

Ephesians 2:12 (NASB) remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Ephesians 2:13 (NASB) But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Junius Gallio

Ephesians 2:11 (NASB) Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands—

Ephesians 2:12 (NASB) remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Ephesians 2:13 (NASB) But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

You actually illustrate my point. Gentiles were never part of the Mosaic covenant. According to Christian doctrine, when they became Christian, they are adopted into the family of Abraham and become part of the New Covenant. That does not make Christians into Jews--but in God's eyes, makes them equal to Jews by way of a different covenant.

ChristNU

You actually illustrate my point. Gentiles were never part of the Mosaic covenant. According to Christian doctrine, when they became Christian, they are adopted into the family of Abraham and become part of the New Covenant. That does not make Christians into Jews--but in God's eyes, makes them equal to Jews by way of a different covenant.

Equal to Jews?? In what way?

Junius Gallio

Equal to Jews?? In what way?

According to your scriptures: Gal 3:26-29

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

According to Paul, all believers are equal, and all believers are children of Abraham.

ChristNU

According to your scriptures: Gal 3:26-29

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

According to Paul, all believers are equal, and all believers are children of Abraham.

I do not see it as speaking to equality, but to identity.

Junius Gallio

I do not see it as speaking to equality, but to identity.
I don't see any way that two entities who are accounted as having the same identity can be unequal. That seems illogical to me. There is certainly an ordinal difference--Paul notes in Romans that God worked first with the Jews, and then the Greeks (Gentiles), so that among the believers in Christ Jewish believers would in that sense be the "older brothers," but they are still brothers and children of Abraham together.

ChristNU

I don't see any way that two entities who are accounted as having the same identity can be unequal. That seems illogical to me. There is certainly an ordinal difference--Paul notes in Romans that God worked first with the Jews, and then the Greeks (Gentiles), so that among the believers in Christ Jewish believers would in that sense be the "older brothers," but they are still brothers and children of Abraham together.

I didn't say they would be unequal, I just said that passage is about identity and not equality.

Junius Gallio

I didn't say they would be unequal, I just said that passage is about identity and not equality.
Hmmm ... I see your point, but I don't think it's an actual distinction. Not saying that to make you mad, I just really don't see that there's any difference, in this case, between "identity" and "equality."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
From Jeremiah we learn that the new covenant was for the house of Judah and the house of Israel.

For me the question is if as a Christian I am a part of the "commonwealth" of Israel. I am not a stranger to the covenants any longer?

What matters is that we obey God's commands as believers. I believe in God and in Jesus Christ His Son.

Junius Gallio

From Jeremiah we learn that the new covenant was for the house of Judah and the house of Israel.

Some Christians consider this covenant as separate from the Christian New Covenant, some Christians consider it to be the Christian covenant, but offered first to the Jews. I think there's room for honest disagreement on that particular topic.

For me the question is if as a Christian I am a part of the "commonwealth" of Israel. I am not a stranger to the covenants any longer?

As a Gentile Christian, you are not a member of the "commonwealth" of Israel. Now, if you lived in Israel (assuming, of course, that Israel was living according to the terms of the Mosaic Covenant), there would be several requirements made of you, including observing the Sabbath and observing Passover. I don't remember for certain, but I do not think you would be required to circumcise your children on the eighth day, because you would not be part of the Mosaic Covenant. (I may be wrong on that last point.)

What matters is that we obey God's commands as believers. I believe in God and in Jesus Christ His Son.
Then you are part of the Abrahamic covenant, and you partake of the blessings thereof.