toldailytopic: In politics, should party trump person?

MrRadish

I think there's an important balance to be struck, to be honest. I think that whilst of course it's important to look at the individual strengths and views of the candidate in question, the party to which they ally themselves is a real indicator of what their views are and sometimes clearer than the rather hyperbolic terms they use to describe themselves on election material. It's also worth bearing in mind that even if an individual candidate has views you agree with, their election contributes to an overall shift in governmental power toward those of their party. I would never vote for a member of the Conservative Party for this reason, even if they seemed more appealing than their rivals, because their entry into Parliament would contribute to the Tories taking a ruling majority.

In answer to the OP, I can through heavy imagination come up with a scenario in which it would be possible to cast an ethical vote in favor of the candidate based on the individual.

Even if they are a Republican.

Newman

Romney has already said that he will appoint judges like:

Scalia
Thomas
Roberts
Alito

were you not aware of that?

Oh I am aware that he has said that. I'm just making sure you are aware of some other things he has said that are in direct contradiction to the reason you are voting for him.

I also hope you realize that any politician but especially Mitt Romney will say whatever he needs to get elected. The man has no backbone. No standard. No scruples.

well, I mean we all wear little buttons that say "left winger" or "right winger," but is that little button you wear your master? Like if you say anything out of turn with that button it will condemn you?