toldailytopic: Homeschooling vs. Public schooling.

MrRadish

How are you defining "rational" here?

Logical. I suppose it is true that if you consider catering to self-interest to be rational then to protect those about whom you care more is indeed the rational course. I suppose I'm thinking more in moral terms.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Insufficient unbiased exposure to alternative viewpoints certainly seems to stunt this capacity from what I've seen. It also tends to lead to crippling guilt problems relating to breaking away and making independent personal and moral choices, from what I've seen.
OK. I doubt that "what you've seen" is any justification for letting random strangers teach your child.

If you aren't open to the possibility that perspectives that differ from yours might be right, then you're making precisely the assumption of which I accused you.
Don't worry. Your straw man is dead. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Schooling != upbringing
Schooling is a major part of a child's upbringing. Parents who send their kids to school are relying upon the efforts of random strangers to instill values, morals and discipline for over half of the child's time.

Alate_One

After hearing of the dreadful homeschooling of two children of relatives, I am even less in favor of homeschooling than before.

Is it fair to the child to allow them to be homeschooled by someone that can barely do math or read themselves?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
After hearing of the dreadful homeschooling of two children of relatives, I am even less in favor of homeschooling than before.
Appeal to anecdote.

Is it fair to the child to allow them to be homeschooled by someone that can barely do math or read themselves?
Maybe they're really good at shoe making. :idunno:

Alate_One

Appeal to anecdote.
I knew these kids. At least one of them was extraordinarily bright. Now she's at least one or two grade levels behind.

Anecdote or no, is it ethically right to tolerate such a situation when it is known to exist? A bad teacher in the public school can be fired. A bad teacher in a public school might be a factor for a year or a semester at most. Parents as teachers cannot be fired unless there are laws I am not aware of. There are remedies to bad public schools, there are none for bad homeschooling.

Maybe they're really good at shoe making. :idunno:
And that makes them qualified to prepare a child for the modern era how exactly? How many jobs are there for shoe making?

Arthur Brain

I knew these kids. At least one of them was extraordinarily bright. Now she's at least one or two grade levels behind.

Anecdote or no, is it ethically right to tolerate such a situation when it is known to exist? A bad teacher in the public school can be fired. A bad teacher in a public school might be a factor for a year or a semester at most. Parents as teachers cannot be fired unless there are laws I am not aware of. There are remedies to bad public schools, there are none for bad homeschooling.

And that makes them qualified to prepare a child for the modern era how exactly? How many jobs are there for shoe making?

Well there's cobblers....

Or then again that may just be what Stripe is talking...

:plain:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice anecdote.

Anecdote or no, is it ethically right to tolerate such a situation when it is known to exist?
What do suggest be done about it?

Oh, wait. Liberal, right? Here comes another raft of prohibitions replete with red tape and demand on tax dollars. :plain:

A bad teacher in the public school can be fired.
Oh, no. That never happens. :nono:

Parents as teachers cannot be fired unless there are laws I am not aware of.
As it should be. :thumb:

There are remedies to bad public schools, there are none for bad homeschooling.
Sure, there are. :)

Someone needs to make our shoes. :idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame

No. That constitutes borderline child abuse, as far as I'm concerned.

This is the really annoying part about homeschool absolutists. On one hand, they denigrate the public school system and have nothing good to say about it. On the other hand, they expect the adult products of that same system to be qualified to teach their own children.

Not every parent can or should teach their kids, and in fact some parents shouldn't even try.

It doesn't. Work. For. Everyone.

Alate_One

What do suggest be done about it?

Oh, wait. Liberal, right? Here comes another raft of prohibitions replete with red tape and demand on tax dollars.
No, I'd make it really simple. anyone that wants to home school their children should pass the same exit exam as a teacher does. The Praxis for most states While not perfect, it would be a basic insurance policy against bad situations as I described earlier.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
teaching-motherb1f8.jpg

Obviously not your typical homeschooler; but then we already knew that didn't we class?

Parents who home-school children increasingly are white, wealthy and well-educated — and their numbers have nearly doubled in a decade, a new federal government report says.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-05-28-homeschooling-report_N.htm

Buzzword

Pass an exam, then you can be a parent.

That actually doesn't sound too bad, in theory.

My wife and I could probably run a service helping the people we see carting around 5 kids at Wal-Mart at 3 AM study for the parenting exam.

We don't have kids, by the way.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That actually doesn't sound too bad, in theory.My wife and I could probably run a service helping the people we see carting around 5 kids at Wal-Mart at 3 AM study for the parenting exam.We don't have kids, by the way.

Passing an exam is easy. Teaching people to pass exams does nothing to prepare or equip them for reality.

Facts are that that the location is irrelevant. The people involved are. And it will always come down to the simple truth - if you want your child raised in a way you deem acceptable, do it yourself.

LadyGreenEyes

As one that does home schooling, clearly I am in favor of the idea. That said, not everyone can manage. Instead of debating anything, I will simply offer the advantages that I see in it. My oldest wasn't home schooled, and the #2 attended public school for K-1, so I do know both sides. The first thing I like is that I have control over what the kids learn. I don't have to worry about them being taught things that disagree with Christian beliefs, or them being subjected to the rampant social engineering that is in so many schools these days. Along with that, the kids don't pick up bad habits from school mates. I also like that we control the schedule. Being somewhat of a night person (yeah, I really am posting that late at night), and having kids on later hours, this is a GREAT thing. We can start and finish later. We also get to decide on vacation and holiday schedules ourselves. Kids that are sick can still do some schooling. Each one can get far more attention that they could in public school. I haven't noticed any effect on social skills, either. With three younger ones fairly close together, I see three different ways of interacting with other kids when out in social situations. One shy, one totally NOT shy, and another on the "wild side". All able to deal with people as well as they would if in public school.

bybee

As one that does home schooling, clearly I am in favor of the idea. That said, not everyone can manage. Instead of debating anything, I will simply offer the advantages that I see in it. My oldest wasn't home schooled, and the #2 attended public school for K-1, so I do know both sides. The first thing I like is that I have control over what the kids learn. I don't have to worry about them being taught things that disagree with Christian beliefs, or them being subjected to the rampant social engineering that is in so many schools these days. Along with that, the kids don't pick up bad habits from school mates. I also like that we control the schedule. Being somewhat of a night person (yeah, I really am posting that late at night), and having kids on later hours, this is a GREAT thing. We can start and finish later. We also get to decide on vacation and holiday schedules ourselves. Kids that are sick can still do some schooling. Each one can get far more attention that they could in public school. I haven't noticed any effect on social skills, either. With three younger ones fairly close together, I see three different ways of interacting with other kids when out in social situations. One shy, one totally NOT shy, and another on the "wild side". All able to deal with people as well as they would if in public school.

If I were to do it over I would also home school.