toldailytopic: Homeless people: how should a society handle them?

Doormat

I think it's rude to assume we're free to handle them. Unless they're tiny. Because it's an unwritten law that tossing little people is socially acceptable behavior.

Certainly in Asia. :plain:

d099a03ac62998a1fe3b129166d24c22_sp4.jpg

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that we should help those who are either homeless through no fault of their own (lost job, abused wives, disabled). With those who either choose to be homeless or are homeless due to drugs and/or alcohol, we should make it as uncomfortable as possible for them to remain that way by passing anti-panhandling laws and passing anti-loitering laws.

:thumb:

There needs to be a system in place to sort out the people that really do need help from the freeloaders and rabble. It is the freeloaders, druggies and winos that are dangerous. I was nearly assaulted by them twice. They are a menace.

This Charming Manc

Try looking at more than one scripture...

These folks are derelicts. Building shelters for them is only enabling their behavior. It multiplies the problem instead of solving it and is in direct contradiction to what the bible says.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 - For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

I say throw the bums out and let them fend for themselves. Shelters should be for people wanting to get back on their feet--not derelicts. If a person is not willing to work, they need to be tossed out on their ear.

This Charming Manc

Define nearly assaulted and why? Was it anything do with you views on homeless people ?

Also do we hold people responsible for crime based on there occupation or lack of it?

"I was hit by a stockbroker in a hit a run , we need to make sure we stamp down on those stockbrokers, make sure stockbrokers aren't allowed to drive anymore"

There needs to be a system in place to sort out the people that really do need help from the freeloaders and rabble. It is the freeloaders, druggies and winos that are dangerous. I was nearly assaulted by them twice. They are a menace.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ask them what they want.
Give them what they need.

The problem with that is that, if you ask them what they want, they usually aren't too happy if you give them what they need. I've had several panhandlers who claimed they are homeless get mad at me because I would actually offer them work in exchange for a hot meal and a roof for a night or two. They used to hang outside the grocery store that my late husband and I went to in California. We became well-known for offering food instead of money to them. Needless to say, we didn't have very many people asking us for money after the first time they asked us.

Alate_One

Try looking at more than one scripture...

What a concept . . .

Matthew 25

“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

I think you have your answer.

My spouse participated in a harm reduction shelter program in Toronto. It helped a lot of people, a few were able to become productive members of society again. Some responded to the mercy shown to them by asking about becoming a Christian. Some were beyond help (Paint sniffers and people with traumatic brain injuries) but they were taken care of as well as was practical.

From a purely selfish standpoint, prisons are a lot more expensive than programs like that anyway. Also note handing a homeless person cash isn't the same as giving them food, clothes or drink. Cash often equals alcohol and more specifically rubbing alcohol, since it's cheaper, which of course destroys their liver.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Funny, you went from sounding like Scrooge to Mr. Potter.:chuckle:

Cleaning up this "rabble" and trying to help them doesn't strike me as too much to ask.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem with that is that, if you ask them what they want, they usually aren't too happy if you give them what they need. I've had several panhandlers who claimed they are homeless get mad at me because I would actually offer them work in exchange for a hot meal and a roof for a night or two. They used to hang outside the grocery store that my late husband and I went to in California. We became well-known for offering food instead of money to them. Needless to say, we didn't have very many people asking us for money after the first time they asked us.

Precisely--they want money for booze.

Lincoln Nebraska has several shelters for them. It's a mecca for winos. Some even had bicycles donated to them so they can ride around with their bottles! While living there I was nearly attacked by two winos.

1. Bicycle Wino. He stayed up at the shelter and wore plastic bubble wrap against his body in the winter. He knew all the survival tricks, and chose to live on the streets with his bottle wrapped in a paper sack. He was always with that bottle. I never saw him without it. I was taking my walk one day. Apparently he had been hitting the bottle too hard when I glanced at him. He yelled "what are you looking at" and proceeded to take off after me on his bike. Being drunk, he got his feet fouled in the chain of his bike, ending the chase.

2. Mr. Listerine - This fellow was offered work at the supermarket by the shelter but gave it up in favor of his Listerine--so he told out of his own drunken lips as he followed me. He proceeded to tell me his life story--apparently Listerine is a truth serum? He bounced back and forth between Denver CO and Lincoln Nebraska--living on the streets shopping for a wife to support his lifestyle. He tried to talk me into a leaving my husband for him! He also tried to steal the necklace off my neck while reeking of Listerine. By this time he's stumbling drunk with the stuff, so I escaped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I have a very close "Christian" friend who purchases Safeway grocery store $10.00 gift certificates and places them in a small plastic baggy along with a pocket size New Testament and a Christian tract!! If they come across a homeless person with a sign; they hand the homeless person one of these "help baggies!" This way the homeless, not only get fed physically, but get fed Spiritually!!

It's not right that a "Christian" have a, "Let them eat cake" attitude towards the very poor. It's not our place to, "pre-judge" who is, needy and who is, taking advantage! However, it is our duty to "help the poor" Give to the poor, in the name of the Lord, because it's the right thing to do. We ought not to rationalize; "they're just drunks and dope addicted!!" Only God knows the hearts of men, it's our duty to help the poor, period!!

Whether you're a Christian or not; it's the "humane" thing to do!!

WizardofOz

I have a very close "Christian" friend who purchases Safeway grocery store $10.00 gift certificates and places them in a small plastic baggy along with a pocket size New Testament and a Christian tract!! If they come across a homeless person with a sign; they hand the homeless person one of these "help baggies!" This way the homeless, not only get fed physically, but get fed Spiritually!!

It's not right that a "Christian" have a, "Let them eat cake" attitude towards the very poor. It's not our place to, "pre-judge" who is, needy and who is, taking advantage! However, it is our duty to "help the poor" Give to the poor, in the name of the Lord, because it's the right thing to do. We ought not to rationalize; "they're just drunks and dope addicted!!" Only God knows the hearts of men, it's our duty to help the poor, period!!

Whether you're a Christian or not; it's the "humane" thing to do!!

Wile E. Coyote

Funny, you went from sounding like Scrooge to Mr. Potter.:chuckle:

Cleaning up this "rabble" and trying to help them doesn't strike me as too much to ask.
They are being helped. There are Christian missions in every major city in the U.S. The famous Pacific Garden Mission is located in Chicago. I have served there. Like most missions they give food, clothing and shelter and they help the souls of men too. They have drug and alcohol detox programs. Many missions have professional Christian therapists who donate their time to help such men and women.

I was a volunter worker for the Salvation Army for several years in Chicago in the Cook County jail and in missions. The SA goes beyond what I have mentioned. They help inmates after they are released. They employ some of the homeless as drivers to pick up donated furniture and clothing and even train others to be productive. They place them in jobs doing labor for companies that want to help.

However, many will not stick with the program because they don't want the real charity. These are the menaces. I assure you that they have been helped time and time again. But they just want their physical needs met and nothing else. They keep breaking the rules by appearing at the missions under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They even get in fights and the missions have to ask them to leave. The missions allow for so many infractions until they must ask the person to leave for good because he is a problem to the program.

All the organizations I am talking about are Christian. So please be quiet because you don't know what you are talking about!

jeremysdemo

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 19th, 2012 09:46 AM

toldailytopic: Homeless people: how should a society handle them?

Use discernment with that which God has blessed you with (be a good steward) no one size fit's all policy.

True story,
Yesterday I was at the pharmacy getting my wife's medication, I saw a man there asking each person entering for $.50c, he was a rather large man in the belly and looked like he hadn't missed a meal in several months, still benefit of the doubt, as to shame oneself for such a small amount to so many people as a beggar takes some humility.
Eventually the man noticed me sitting in my Van waiting for the script to be filled and approached the side of the vehicle I roll down the window enough to speak to him, he said his line, "Excuse me sir can you spare 50c." which I replied, "what do you need it for", he said "food", I then answered, "well if that is the case let me take you to the McDonalds (about a block away) and buy you a couple of burgers of the dollar menu, some fries and a......" before I could even finish my offer the man walked away and started walking toward another pharmacy patron with the same line...

I would have been more than happy to help the guy out, although I don't carry cash I happen to have some change in my console, even if he would have been honest and said, "man I really need a beer today" I would have given whatever was there.

how should we deal with them? the same way Solomon did with the two women who both said the baby was theirs, the honest will prosper.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Granite

Hall of Fame
They are being helped. There are Christian missions in every major city in the U.S. The famous Pacific Garden Mission is located in Chicago. I have served there. Like most missions they give food, clothing and shelter and they help the souls of men too. They have drug and alcohol detox programs. Many missions have professional Christian therapists who donate their time to help such men and women.

Okay, fine. I didn't dispute that. I was taking issue with Inzl's dismissive attitude more than anything.

I was a volunter worker for the Salvation Army for several years in Chicago in the Cook County jail and in missions.

Then you're one of the few who puts your money where your mouth is.:thumb:

The SA goes beyond what I have mentioned. They help inmates after they are released. They employ some of the homeless as drivers to pick up donated furniture and clothing and even train others to be productive. They place them in jobs doing labor for companies that want to help.

Well, again. See above. Writing off the needy or destitute as a free-loading rabble sticks in my craw, Wile. There's a heartlessness at work there at odds with the time of year.

However, many will not stick with the program because they don't want the real charity. These are the menaces.

Again, no issues with you so far. Plenty of people abuse charity. Others don't. When it comes to this subject I don't really care for blanket statements. The ones they sleep under are ratty enough...

Buzzword

I keep reading all this "Let them eat cake" from people who identify as Christians, and it's getting depressing.

And then a friend sent me these:
4942574907_51d07a4b15_z.jpg

Free-Subway-meals.jpg

Faith in humanity restored.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I keep reading all this "Let them eat cake" from people who identify as Christians, and it's getting depressing.

And then a friend sent me these:
4942574907_51d07a4b15_z.jpg

Faith in humanity restored.

Psh. Lazy, freeloading unemployed people. Can't even wash their own clothes!! :mmph: