toldailytopic: Hate the sin, love the sinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 28th, 2011 11:44 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Seydlitz77

And yet God has given us each the freedom to choose.
I cannot stop another's rebellion.
I can live a Godly, sober and righteous life myself.

Indeed and we can argue that if you do not love the sinner then you can't live a Godly life.

Of course if we truly love we will not be afraid to offer correction as the Lord does to those He loves. Proverbs 3:12 KJV

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God sends the sinner to hell, to await trial and death.

This is similar to what I believe,hate the argument but not the arguer. In other words if one wants to destroy my ego by destroying my argument, that's fair game. So far no one has destroyed my arguments. They only resort to childish name calling. Attack the argument not the person.
* To be technically accurate I was never attacked. Only a straw man that the loonies say resembles me.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 28th, 2011 11:44 AM

What I am about to post is going to make me very unpopular with certain segments on here--and yes I have biblical backing.

Romans 9:13-14
As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
Esau was a very worldly man. He married idol worshiping wives that brought distress to his parents.

Hebrews 12: 16
Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Now to address the sin that is commonly debated:

Leviticus 18:22 -
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
The first time homosexuality is specifically addressed in the law. The practice is abominable. The word abominable cuts close in meaning to the word nauseating.

Leviticus 20: 13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
It was so detestable that it called for the death penalty.

Deuteronomy 22: 5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
This is cross dressing folks. They are an abomination to God. Loving the sinner hating the sin--not!

Deuteronomy 25: 16:
For all that do such things, and all that do unrighteously, are an abomination unto the LORD thy God
You cannot separate yourself from your sin. It is very much a part of your person. The only way to get rid of it is through a new life in Jesus. Before a person gets a new life in Christ, he is covered in the filth of his sin and is detestable to God.

The statement in the OP is actually Christianese for tolerance. There is no place the the bible states we have to be tolerant.

We should present the truth to people and not be nasty about it. But there is no call for me the wrap my arms around a reprobate. :vomit:

Our society has become so namby pamby about sin that it is now falling apart at the seams.

Love the sinner, hate the sin? Gooey politically correct nonsense. You can't separate the two, and thus it is not possible.

Seydlitz77

Love the sinner, hate the sin? Gooey politically correct nonsense. You can't separate the two, and thus it is not possible.

We are all sinners and reprobates the Book of Mormon goes into even stronger language saying we are all God's enemies in our natural state.

So obviously God can and does separate the sin from the sinner even stating that past sins will not be remembered Ezekiel 33:15-16 KJV and that we can be cleansed and purified from them Isaiah 1:18 KJV.

If the sinner could not be separated from the sin then God has no reason let alone means to offer salvation.

Sure we should offer correction to the sinner out of love and concern but we should never despise them because they could one day leave their sin behind and become pure. If we do not love the sinners we could become the very obstacle that prevents their repentance.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. "
FROM the above post ( actually post 8 , man you guys respond fast! :thumb: ) and Leviticus 18:22
A little further on we read
"You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material."
Leviticus 19:19
When I lived near T.C MI on my way to work I passed a field full of Beefaloes ( half cow and half Buffalo)I smirked and said to myself," Oh ye generation of vipers!" Do you wear clothes made of only one fiber type?
This obsession with genitalia and not love ( by literalists) strikes me as grossly unspiritual.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And yet God has given us each the freedom to choose.
I cannot stop another's rebellion.
I can live a Godly, sober and righteous life myself.

We are close; as you pointed out about what comes with age. I am probably a bit to the right of you, by stating unrepresentative sinners, I do not hate them, just do not want them around me. My message would be sin no more, but in the meantime, beat it. :chew:

Well close?
Kat

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. "
FROM the above post ( actually post 8 , man you guys respond fast! :thumb: ) and Leviticus 18:22
A little further on we read
"You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material."
Leviticus 19:19

Test your TOL knowledge; this is an example of what?

Alate_One

There's a subset of people on this site that seem to think you can hate and love someone at the same time and that the Bible commands Christians to hate sinners.

I did a quick word study on the word hate. Nearly all of them have hate juxtaposed with love. Most passages that talk about hating something talk about hating wickedness or evil deeds. There are a handful of passages where God talks about hating people. Nearly all of these are in Psalms. At no place in scripture is there a command for followers of God to hate *people*.

Leviticus 19:17-18 says:
“‘Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.“‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Isaiah 61:8

“For I, the LORD, love justice; I hate robbery and wrongdoing. In my faithfulness I will reward my people and make an everlasting covenant with them.

(Note it doesn't name people, practices)

Matthew 5:42

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Titus 3:3

At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. I'm clueless. Please explain. If scripture is to be taken literally, why are some taken literally and others not? Who decides?

God. When he says something like " they are like", that is the cue that it is going to be a figure of speech.

bybee

We are close; as you pointed out about what comes with age. I am probably a bit to the right of you, by stating unrepresentative sinners, I do not hate them, just do not want them around me. My message would be sin no more, but in the meantime, beat it. :chew:

Well close?
Kat

I couldn't have said it better! You've still got it girl!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
OK. I'm clueless. Please explain. If scripture is to be taken literally, why are some taken literally and others not? Who decides?

It is an example of the Law. Now I suppose you want to know if the Law no longer holds sway, why we follow some of what is the same as the old Law. Part of that answer is in the New Testament. There is more to it, but I am too tired to go into it. :mmph:

If you care, check out posts by chickenman and STP, and those who understand them; they both and many others are able to explain it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.