toldailytopic: Government run schools. What (if anything) would you do to change them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I see.

When you say the majority should be those subjects, how much would you have in there for maths, sciences, history, etc.

These are effectively the subjects that I'd have in the curriculum throughout the student's life from kindergarten to high school:

Foreign languages (Latin, Greek, French, German)*
Philosophy/Logic
Nutrition/Exercise
Music**
Mathematics
The Natural Sciences***
Geography****

*Foreign languages would only be a part of the student's curriculum until there is sufficient mastery to read philosophy in the respective languages. At that time, the foreign language education would give way to reading philosophy in that language, much as learning English grammar/spelling early on in education gives way to English literature in hgih school.

**By this I mean learning to play and listening to heavy metal and classical music.

***Education in the natural sciences would only be given later in the student's education, only after he's begun his education in philosophy and logic, and only with respect to the degree that it is practical for him to know it. So he'd learn about diseases and bacteria, but not about Darwin. He'd learn about the body, but not about the brain's relationship to thinking (since this falls under philosophy, not science).

****Only taught in high school, and then only enough to give the student a decent enough idea of the world in which he currently lives. History wouldn't be taught, since it isn't good for the student to think that his life has some kind of a historic context. The student must regularly be reminded of the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Existence precedes essence," and "The future is virgin." The student must be taught that he is a self-creation.

GeneCosta

I'm in agreement with Traditio that philosophy has been improperly excommunicated from most curriculum. Education was built from traditions that stressed a broad liberal arts background, yet most high school graduates probably couldn't iterate the foundational assumptions of Descartes, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Plato, Aristotle, or Lao Tse. Children are overtly drowned in their history classes with trivial information about the Enlightenment empiricists (Locke, Paine). They never get the opportunity to break down fundamental assumptions about the world. There's great value to be found in a person who hungers for knowledge. If we want to live in a democracy, we need a society of philosophers.

I also think it's a shame that "life skills" aren't presented to students, as I think public education should both allow a student to explore the landscape of each field while also preparing the child for what awaits outside the schoolhouse. Sexual education and finance are in many ways just as important as the core curriculum.

More significant reforms also need to be sought at higher levels. Personally, I feel as if the current model of education suffers from the traditional American system of having politicians control school boards. Countries like Japan benefit from a system that tries to retain education as (mostly) separate from political activities. Educators shouldn't be instructed to make the district look good; their job is (hopefully) to raise each student to his or her best potential.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don’t object in principle to governing authorities teaching the people, so long as the furtherance of evil is not in the curriculum.

The LORD was with Jehoshaphat (king of Judah) because he didn’t seek after evil. 2 Chronicles 17:3 He didn’t misuse his authority by educating his people in the ways of the world but rather the ways of the LORD. 2 Chronicles 17:4 He sent out teachers to the cities of Judah. 2 Chronicles 17:7 These teachers didn’t carry with them "The Origin of Species", "Mein Kampf", or "Heather Has Two Mommies". No, they had with them the "Book of the Law of the LORD". 2 Chronicles 17:9

“Government run” education hasn’t always been bad.

Of course the resources should be available sans tyranny and attendance be not mandatory.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
**By this I mean learning to play and listening to heavy metal and classical music.

:chuckle: Why heavy metal?

I think the main thing I would disagree with you on is the removal of history. I think learning history is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.