toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think I've been in the cave too long ... It's only a couple of weeks until Labor Day.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just love the floral & candle centerpieces.
They're so PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!

imagesqtbnANd9GcQrSUGh1tLpjzGdftHcv.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcTjTl9iwbi7XWvu42tVN.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcTP9TKyKK5INcZnL4Jjl.jpg

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 17th, 2012 11:35 AM

toldailytopic: Does it bother you to see Christmas items for sale as early as the end of August or in September?

It used to bother me. But, I quit going to department stores during the months of September and October. I only do grocery shopping at Kroger for those two months. And, I stay out of the seasonal aisles there, except for buying Halloween candy.

I've also told my daughter that she has to keep her Christmas music down to November, December, and January. I don't have any good childhood memories of Christmas. So, I don't really like being reminded of that time of year very much.

***BTW, I will not allow my house to be decorated before Thanksgiving. And, the decorations, lights, and tree have to be down by January 5th.

Last edited:

renew

:think: Well, not when you consider that HE was probably born sometime in autumn anyway.

I don't think christianity really cares one way or the other, in most instances with this religion tradition is held in high regards.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I don't think christianity really cares one way or the other, in most instances with this religion tradition is held in high regards.

:plain: I'm sure most Christians don't. I know I don't. To me it's an irrelevency when (time of year) exactly that HE was born. I do think that the whole Christmas "tradition" is impotant though...not because it has anything to do whatsoever with Salvation (because it doesn't) but because of what it means to our culture(s) and the fact that it raises the subject (HIS Birth).

renew

TomO

I am taking it that you are referring to Jesus as being the HE/HIM individual you write about and not Tammuz.

Then could you explain to me why Christmas is so popular and Easter is not so popular?

They both in truth are forms of pagan traditions, just curious of why one is held in higher regard then the other?

NewDay

:plain: I'm sure most Christians don't. I know I don't. To me it's an irrelevency when (time of year) exactly that HE was born. I do think that the whole Christmas "tradition" is impotant though...not because it has anything to do whatsoever with Salvation (because it doesn't) but because of what it means to our culture(s) and the fact that it raises the subject (HIS Birth).

I agree.

The thing I love most about Christmas is family get together's...and, the time we as a culture, choose to use it, to promote family time, dinners, etc.

We could do all that, however, without the hoopla, and extravagance, that most use it for.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
TomO

I am taking it that you are referring to Jesus as being the HE/HIM individual you write about and not Tammuz.

Yeop. :)

Then could you explain to me why Christmas is so popular and Easter is not so popular?

They both in truth are forms of pagan traditions, just curious of why one is held in higher regard then the other?

:think:

Presents? :idunno:

In b4 "Slaughterhouse Religion". :plain:

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

No, it doesn't. As a matter of fact, I am already having my kids make their Christmas lists so I can get the shopping out of the way and just enjoy the holiday.
You should ask them for their lists the day after Christmas and pick up the goods when they are 50% off and then give it to them the next year.