toldailytopic: Black Friday Madness: What compels people to beat each other up over a

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 25th, 2011 10:56 AM

toldailytopic: Black Friday Madness: What compels people to beat each other up over a $2 waffle maker?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Covet, envy, in a nutshell. You also need to lack any moral fiber to go through with fighting over what you want.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stupidity and greed ...

Oh and maybe they don't realize that frozen waffles are much easier to prepare and clean up after. :)

ghost

Hall of Fame
THERE'S $2.00 WAFFLE MAKERS!!!! :noway:

Where?? Tell me where! Tell me right now!!!

MrRadish

Extreme consumerism, pent-up frustration and anger from a huge range of other factors, and the tendency to treat competition as confrontation and confrontation as conflict.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I blame Obama. If he hadn't destroyed the economy, people would have more money and wouldn't need to kill each other over $2 waffle makers. :plain:

Ted L Glines

Remember that we are dealing with human animals, here, whose veneer of compassion, morality, and piety, is thin, indeed. When greed rears its head, expediency rules. When they are smiling each other to pieces on Sunday, they will not remember the blood which was spilt today. Some "redeemed" humans are too good to be guilty.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The 'me' first mentality. People have been taught in the last 50 years to put themselves first. America is now suffering from the 'I' disease. People often think of themselves first without considering the consequences it has for others.

When Christ is removed from public life, what is left--self. When self is all that is left, people start to behave like animals. This fight over a $2.00 toaster isn't the first time people have behaved in animal fashion on Black Friday. In 2008 a Walmart worker on long Island New York was trampled to death by Black Friday shoppers- behaving more like a mass of sharks during a feeding frenzy. It is only with the influence of Christian principles in public life that our culture can rise above this animalistic behavior.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Occupy Wal Mart?

The woman at the beginning reaches in somebody else's cart and takes the waffle maker. Pause at 2 seconds. She is in a black coat/shirt, with a white shirt underneath with sideways stripes.

Heathens

ghost

Hall of Fame
Occupy Wal Mart?

The woman at the beginning reaches in somebody else's cart and takes the waffle maker. Pause at 2 seconds. She is in a black coat/shirt, with a white shirt underneath with sideways stripes.

Heathens
The fat lady in the blue shirt thinks it is a Moonlight madness sale :chuckle:

Quincy

I don't know what compels them to do that, but I've gone almost every year I could remember and have never encountered that. I know it happens, but have never witnessed it. If anything, I think what causes it is the desire to get more for less money, or to be able tohave that one device or toy that you couldn't afford any other day, like a TV. It's all greed I suppose.

I went last night, just to buy a Kindle Fire and I didn't even have to wait until midnight for it and it was normal price. I just wanted to see the madness unfold and there were so many people out it was ridiculous.

Half the people I saw that I knew, I know don't have jobs. They always complain about not being able to find a job when I talk with them, yet I saw them with carts full of everything. Xbox 360s, laptops, and all kinds of toys. Almost everyone had the same things in their carts. I think that is just as sad as the violence.

Buzzword

Madness.

Especially since there is literally NOTHING stopping stores from ramping up the prices to horrific levels the night before, then putting them back to normal on Black Friday with "90% OFF!" stickers all over the place.

If I couldn't afford it at regular price, I probably shouldn't be buying it at a "reduced" price.

Especially since most of the stuff I want to buy can be bought online for a much lower price than the stores offer, without having to use gas to go get them and come back.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's not only a departure from Christ, but also a departure from Christian culture. 50 years ago, I've heard that non-Christians acted better in public than most Christians do today.

I've been cataloguing these videos last year and now this year.

http://blackfridayblackhearts.blogspot.com

Good job on the videos Adam. It might be just a matter of time before stores build towers to have sharpshooting security personnel picking off those that are STOMPING on pregnant women that fall to the ground during the mad rush to save a buck. (Gerald, you're in charge of that project).

Just out of curiousity, where did you hear that secularists and atheists acted better in public 50 years ago than Christians did?

If so, they were borrowing Christian ethics, as secularists and atheists don't have any doctrine of their own when it comes to manners.