toldailytopic: Are sports that involve fighting (such as UFC) immoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 11th, 2010 10:31 AM

toldailytopic: Are sports that involve fighting (such as UFC) immoral?

quinton-jackson-mma.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Aimiel

Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Since God teaches us to war, why should we not, naturally, wish to know who is the best student?

grit

It especially is, between dogs and between chickens, unless it's not as a sport, in which case it's simply evil and... not immoral?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I am not a fan of UFC but I do not think it is immoral. I have never liked boxing and I have tried to watch MMA...but I do not like watching it.

A sport that encourages someone to beat up another person, to cause physical pain to the point where they can't continue (or pass out), and then to be rewarded is harmful to the participants (be it the winner or loser) and those watching it (especially kids).

When a fighter gets in such a rage that they are beating their opponent to unconsciousness only to stop when a ref jumps in and has to restrain the fighter from killing their opponent seems to be setting a bad example of civility.

I don't get UFC and MMA as "sports". But again, I don't think it's immoral.

Someone mentioned dogs and chickens. It is illegal to let dogs fight to near death but not humans. I think that's kind of odd.

Aimiel

Anyone who's been in a ring can tell you, someone in a rage is easy to beat. They swing wildly, and aren't making full use of their physical and strategic abilities. Two guys who are mad as hell at each other, in a ring, will rarely even land a punch. When I was in the Navy, we used boxing to settle fights, and the opponents would most often become fast friends after the fight was over.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is immoral to not watch UFC, and root for boxers like Floyd Mayweather that duck other fighters.

Flipper

If people fought for the sport of others with a high risk of serious injury or death, I'd consider that immoral. Gladiatorial combat, for example, would always be immoral in my view.

The UFC is actually much safer than boxing because there's a lower rate of brain trauma.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd have to be shown biblically why it is immoral. Until then, I'll enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Sleepy Time

A lifetime of boxing never did anyone any good. :chuckle:

Its the one caveat of boxing that I can't defend tho it was my favorite sport until, say, 1990 when boxing bodies and athletic egos that wouldn't appreciate the history, pureness, and respect to each other that any sport deserves took a back seat. Look at the old fighters, shaking hands, respectful...now you've got Tyson saying he's going to eat the other fighter's children, fights breaking out at the weigh-in, etc...read up on the late, great heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson to see what decency in a violent professional sport is all about.
I think the UFC crap is immoral. I think fighting in hockey is immoral (or call it a sin). I like the sport of hockey but, for all the hockey enthusiasts out there, why not let your kid duke it out in Jr. Hockey?
A defensive end and an offensive tackle go to war on any given Sunday; as soon as one of them snaps and starts throwing punches?...you're out of there!...and rightfully so.
Of course, I'm veering into another topic...how much 'sports' is enough? UFC, arena football, X-games?....ad nauseum....must it be shoved down our throats 24/7 365 days a year? The month or two breaks between seasons was always a good thing IMO...
my $0.02

Granite

Hall of Fame
Anyone who's been in a ring can tell you, someone in a rage is easy to beat. They swing wildly, and aren't making full use of their physical and strategic abilities. Two guys who are mad as hell at each other, in a ring, will rarely even land a punch. When I was in the Navy, we used boxing to settle fights, and the opponents would most often become fast friends after the fight was over.

In the Navy...:noid:

Immoral, no. I think this kind of "sport" is idiotic and a bread and circuses type distraction, but no, I wouldn't consider it immoral. Nobody forced these two mooks into the ring.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
What could possibly be immoral about the manly art of self defense?

Sleepy Time

What could possibly be immoral about the manly art of self defense?

A what-if (for Christians on board). Would a Christian man, filled with the Holy Spirit, decorate himself with a thousand tatoos and drooling throughout, hurt another man, throw him to the canvas and proceed to pummel him to the point of permanent injury?

GuySmiley

A what-if (for Christians on board). Would a Christian man, filled with the Holy Spirit, decorate himself with a thousand tatoos and drooling throughout, hurt another man, throw him to the canvas and proceed to pummel him to the point of permanent injury?
NO! A Christian would never drool!

mighty_duck

Two consenting adults can morally engage in whatever activity they want, as long as they aren't hurting others.

On practical grounds, we outlaw certain such activities like narcotics, prostitution and dueling, since their secondary effects do cause harm.

I'm not sure boxing or UFC have harmful secondary effects (except for encouraging others to pick up these sports).

Flipper

Someone who trained at my old gym died from concussion-related injuries following a Golden Gloves competition.

Boxing can be dangerous, professional boxing especially has a long term risk of causing permanent brain damage. However, the dangers are well publicized and efforts are made to minimize the risk, so I think it's up to the individual.

Arthur Brain

Two consenting adults can morally engage in whatever activity they want, as long as they aren't hurting others.

On practical grounds, we outlaw certain such activities like narcotics, prostitution and dueling, since their secondary effects do cause harm.

I'm not sure boxing or UFC have harmful secondary effects (except for encouraging others to pick up these sports).

Isn't that rather contradictory MD? If you don't think that these sports are especially harmful in themselves then what's harmful in the encouragement of other's to take them up?

I don't necessarily think they're immoral per se but I'm no fan and they're hardly the healthiest of pursuits....

Status
Not open for further replies.