Time travel?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Time and space are intertwined, and space-time is a physical entity. This is important in the physical theories of relativity.
Begging the question is a logical fallacy.

It's not exactly shocking to hear you deny scientific concepts like this, though.
It's not surprising that you are unwilling to consider alternatives or the possibility that a falsifying piece of data might be uncovered.

Have you even read Einstein's work? No? Didn't think so.
Are you aware that satellites' clocks must be constantly re-corrected to account for the fact that they experience time more slowly than us on Earth? Einstein's theory of relativity correctly predicted this would happen before we ever tested it out. Saying he's flawed makes you look really stupid
Nope.

Experiments that assume the veracity of Einstein's work will produce results that line up with reality. However, experiments that use other theories can return the same or more accurate answers.

What you endorse is the idea that because a math equation is helpful, then the words used to describe the theory must be physical reality; which is just as stupid as asserting that because the average family size is 2.1 children, then there must be fractions of people walking around.

PureX

We know very little about the true nature of reality. So anything could turn out to be possible from where we are, now.

TIPlatypus

Nope. Never. Ever. It is not happening. If it were possible, then the future would be closed, and that would mean that B57 was right all along. Besides there are too many illogical consequences if it were possible.

TIPlatypus

Time and space are intertwined, and space-time is a physical entity. This is important in the physical theories of relativity. It's not exactly shocking to hear you deny scientific concepts like this, though.

Are you aware that satellites' clocks must be constantly re-corrected to account for the fact that they experience time more slowly than us on Earth? Einstein's theory of relativity correctly predicted this would happen before we ever tested it out. Saying he's flawed makes you look really stupid

You have no idea what you are talking about no offence. Just because an object experiences a different rate of change does not mean that it is time travelling. And you will not be able to explain what you mean when you say that space and time are intertwined. What does that even mean? Any idea? What even is time while we're at it? And Einstein never said anything about time travel. The theories of relativity have nothing to do with time travel. And what on Earth is space-time? And saying it is a physical entity is a bit pointless. I know I cannot touch it or feel it.

TIPlatypus

We know very little about the true nature of reality. So anything could turn out to be possible from where we are, now.

I believe that the true nature of reality is not absolute. The best we can do is find approximations of what the real world is. The better the approximation, the more advanced the technology is. That is called science. But there will never be a point when we arrive at the "true" nature of reality because there is no such thing.

PureX

I believe that the true nature of reality is not absolute. The best we can do is find approximations of what the real world is. The better the approximation, the more advanced the technology is. That is called science. But there will never be a point when we arrive at the "true" nature of reality because there is no such thing.
It does seem that the closer we look, the stranger things get. I don't know if that should make us hopeful, of fearful! :)

Mocking You

You have no idea what you are talking about no offence. Just because an object experiences a different rate of change does not mean that it is time travelling.

True. The phenomena is time dilation.

And you will not be able to explain what you mean when you say that space and time are intertwined. What does that even mean? Any idea?

Space-time is a coordinate system that uses the 3 familiar dimensions (length, width, and depth) and combines them with time, giving a measurement system that tells us where and when something happens.

And Einstein never said anything about time travel. The theories of relativity have nothing to do with time travel.

Maybe not directly, but as a consequence of Einstein's work it can be extrapolated. Einstein's general theory of relativity is used to solve time dilation problems, and time dilation effects are the basis for time travel.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
You have no idea what you are talking about no offence. Just because an object experiences a different rate of change does not mean that it is time travelling. And you will not be able to explain what you mean when you say that space and time are intertwined. What does that even mean? Any idea? What even is time while we're at it? And Einstein never said anything about time travel. The theories of relativity have nothing to do with time travel. And what on Earth is space-time? And saying it is a physical entity is a bit pointless. I know I cannot touch it or feel it.

It means that time is affected by the same things that space is, like gravity. They're intertwined. And you dont actually time travel, rather if you are going at high velocity then you experience time more slowly than others. This has been proven time and again. They've repeatedly put clocks on planes and measured the difference between the time read after a period of flights with the time measured by a clock that's been on the Earth's surface the whole time. If you've never heard about this, then dig into physics a bit.

Yes, Einstein actually DID say a lot about time travel (I don't know if he did this personally or through his equations, however). His biggest statement on it was that we could never go backwards in time because that would require exceeding the speed of light, which is impossible. He determined (correctly) that to ensure that one cannot surpass the speed of light, relative time is altered more and more as one approaches c.

So perhaps I'm not the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you mean we should have learned about time travelers from the future in our own time?

No, not necessarily. Just saying: If time travel is possible and will be invented it follows that it's already happened, in a way.

This kind of stuff can really pretzel your brain...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Do you think time travel will ever be possible?

i don't think so in earthly bodies. off the point, but some astrophysicists that theorize - all possible outcomes/universes exist; i say - then one have them would have contacted us - future ? playoffs ? -

some folks believe this - i don't -

from wikipedia -

Description[edit]
Fourth Baruch is regarded as pseudepigraphical by all Christian churches, except in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (see Rest of the Words of Baruch).

The text is known in both full-length and reduced versions. The full-length versions came down to us in Greek (older manuscripts dated 10th-11th centuries[2] and 15th century[3]), in Ethiopic Ge'ez (titled Rest of the Words of Baruch, the older manuscript dated 15th century), in Armenian[4] and in Slavic. The shorted versions have come down to us in Greek (named Meneo), Romanian and Slavic.[5]

4 Baruch is usually dated in the first half of 2nd century AD. Abimelech's sleep of 66 years, instead of the usual 70 years of Babylonian captivity, makes think to the year AD 136, that is 66 years after the fall of the Second Temple in AD 70. This dating is coherent with the message of the text.[2]

4 Baruch uses a simple and fable-like style with speech-making animals, fruit that never rot, and an eagle sent by the Lord that revives the dead.

Some parts of 4 Baruch appear to have been added in the Christian era, such as the last chapter: due to these insertions some scholars consider 4 Baruch to have Christian origins.[2] Like the greater prophets, it advocates the divorce of foreign wives and exile of those who will not. According to 4 Baruch, the Samaritans are the descendants of such mixed marriages.

Content[edit]
The Lord reveals to Jeremiah that Jerusalem will be destroyed because of the impiety of the Israelites. Jeremiah informs Baruch and at night they see angels that open the door to the city. In that night Jeremiah is instructed by the Lord to hide miraculously in the earth the vestments of the high-priest of the Temple. The Chaldeans enter Jerusalem and Jeremiah follows the Israelites to be exiled, while Baruch remains in Jerusalem and Abimelech (= Ebedmelech the Ethiopian of Jeremiah 38:7) falls asleep for 66 years and awakens with the basket of figs preserved perfectly fresh. When he awakens, Abimelech understands that he slept miraculously for years because the figs are fresh out-of-season. After the re-union with Baruch, they want to communicate with Jeremiah, who is still in Babylon. Baruch prays to the Lord and the Lord sends him an eagle that brings a letter and some of the figs to Jeremiah. The eagle finds Jeremiah officiating at a funeral and alights on the corpse, bringing it back to life, and announcing the end of the exile. The Israelites return to Jerusalem, but only those men who have no foreign wives are allowed to pass the Jordan.

History of the Babylonian captivity[edit]
Main article: History of the Captivity in Babylon
This Jewish pseudepigraphical text belongs to the cycle of Baruch and is related to 4 Baruch. It is longer and probably older than 4 Baruch.[6][7] It has very few and circumscribed Christian insertions and it hasn't the fable-like style of 4 Baruch. Abimelech's sleep is here of 70 years, the usual duration of the Babylonian captivity.

The original Greek is lost, but we have Sahidic Coptic manuscripts[8] and, even if less ancient, Arabic Garshuni manuscripts[9] - from wikipedia -

Last edited:

TIPlatypus

True. The phenomena is time dilation.

Are you talking about how when you move faster, you experience change at a slower rate?

Space-time is a coordinate system that uses the 3 familiar dimensions (length, width, and depth) and combines them with time, giving a measurement system that tells us where and when something happens.

And how do you propose to measure time? With clocks? What about this time dilation thing you have going on here. This is hardly reliable. By the way, can you tell me what my specific co-ordinates are in time?

Oh... I get it. My time co-ordinate is the present. But yesterday it was yesterday.

Maybe not directly, but as a consequence of Einstein's work it can be extrapolated. Einstein's general theory of relativity is used to solve time dilation problems, and time dilation effects are the basis for time travel.

Extrapolation is really dangerous you know. Anyone who knows anything about statistics knows that. Only interpolation is allowed.

TIPlatypus

It means that time is affected by the same things that space is, like gravity. They're intertwined.

And you dont actually time travel, rather if you are going at high velocity then you experience time more slowly than others. This has been proven time and again. They've repeatedly put clocks on planes and measured the difference between the time read after a period of flights with the time measured by a clock that's been on the Earth's surface the whole time.

In case you didn't notice. I agree 100% that experiencing change slower does not mean time travel. I agree that the faster you go the slower you change. I said as much in my previous post.

Yes, Einstein actually DID say a lot about time travel (I don't know if he did this personally or through his equations, however).

Why don't you go look it up. You are saying that Einstein said a lot about time travel but I don't really know what it was he said.

His biggest statement on it was that we could never go backwards in time because that would require exceeding the speed of light, which is impossible. He determined (correctly) that to ensure that one cannot surpass the speed of light, relative time is altered more and more as one approaches c.

Relative time is not altered at all. It is the rate of change that is altered. They are not the same thing. If you were able to observe someone travelling much faster than you. He would appear to be moving slower.