Three Men Marry (each other) in Colombia

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's not a very good comparison.
In what particular? I just turned your own argument against you.

It's rhetorical judo. You aren't supposed to like it.

You said understanding statistics (something outside of the person's will or effort) shouldn't impact him. I agree. Only you're not applying your own principle to gay marriage and the institution.

If wife-beating were legalized (as same-sex marriage has been), it would greatly impact marriage, as an institution.
Now THAT'S an awful comparison. Why? Because you're comparing two people who love one another being allowed to marry to the impact of legalizing a physical assault within a marriage. They aren't remotely alike.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When a 16 year old student desires and agrees to have sex with their teacher, who did they harm?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When a 16 year old student desires and agrees to have sex with their teacher, who did they harm?
The 16 year old can't consent. So the harm is to self and to the teacher who will be violating the law and breaching ethics, expanding the harm to others, from the profession to the parents of the student.

Arthur Brain

We could go on and on with examples.

Sure, though it's mainly subjective. I think the 'Transformers' franchise is an affront to quality film making, and a blight on mankind itself. If I had my way Michael Bey would be a toilet attendant for the rest of his life but hey, other people love the bloody *films*...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't recall anyone laying a hand on him.
Are you arguing that only physical damage counts as harm? Or are you only considering physical harm as part of the discourse. Because I'd agree you can do all sorts of things that are wrong without causing physical harm to someone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is bestiality wrong?
Wrong and illegal aren't the same animal. That is to say there are all sorts of perfectly legal activities that are arguable as a moral wrong or an invitation to one.

Now back to the actual conversation we were having. I've reasserted the problem with your principle. Can you correct the principle or own the problem?

glassjester

Wrong and illegal aren't the same animal. That is to say there are all sorts of perfectly legal activities that are arguable as a moral wrong or an invitation to one.

Now back to the actual conversation we were having. I've reasserted the problem with your principle. Can you correct the principle or own the problem?

Are you saying bestiality isn't wrong?

Or are you saying, though wrong, it should be legal?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure, though it's mainly subjective. I think the 'Transformers' franchise is an affront to quality film making, and a blight on mankind itself. If I had my way Michael Bey would be a toilet attendant for the rest of his life but hey, other people love the bloody *films*...
Only commies don't like Transformers!
:sibbie:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's just a legal motto we use, but we both know a 16 year old can certainly physically and mentally consent.
Only if you're confusing the ability to say yes with giving informed consent, which is what legal consent, meaningful consent to contract or enter into any relationship amounts to. Calling that a legal motto is a thin way to dance away from the teeth of it.

Would you want a five year old to be able to take out a loan for candy? Because if you think that's a bad idea you likely also understand the point of protecting kids from themselves by restraining the right of those who do know better from taking advantage of the willful but ignorant.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you saying bestiality isn't wrong?

Or are you saying, though wrong, it should be legal?
Those mentally disturbed folks should win the Arthur Ashe Courage Award for being brave enough to do it and highlight all the abuse and negativity those that live this lifestyle have to put up with from others.