Thought Policing

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Words like "In my opinion" and "I think" used to be safe harbors. They clearly delineated between a bald assertion such as "you are" and an expressed opinion. Under the protection of speech which entitles everyone to an opinion it was not considered offensive to express one. Evidently times have changed.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Thought Policing....

The tyranny of religious authorities over what to believe and what not to believe.

For example, we must believe Jesus died for our sins, was the Son of God, the Messiah, but we are discouraged from believing he wants us to care for the poor, respond nonviolently to conflict, and accept a God of mercy, not sacrifice.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Thought Policing....

The tyranny of religious authorities over what to believe and what not to believe.

For example, we must believe Jesus died for our sins, was the Son of God, the Messiah, but we are discouraged from believing he wants us to care for the poor, respond nonviolently to conflict, and accept a God of mercy, not sacrifice.
Be very careful or you will get an infraction. They come cheap these days. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Thought Policing....

is that all true ? - :yawn:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
What is it about my opinion on an open forum that does not contain the words &$%# or *@#% or #&%$#@ that would be offensive?

Seriously, what is offensive about realizing that Christianity is a historical faith about which certain real-world events happened?
And that theology and dogma are merely the "meanings" we place on history and historical figures in biblical times?

The faithful and the objective historians both go back to the gospels and each group has to find their own meaning and interpretations and conjectures.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Words like "In my opinion" and "I think" used to be safe harbors. They clearly delineated between a bald assertion such as "you are" and an expressed opinion. Under the protection of speech which entitles everyone to an opinion it was not considered offensive to express one. Evidently times have changed.

why, what happened ? -

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I think this point is essential for both raising up godly children and interacting with our neighbors and our enemies.

This method has saved my life and helped my daughter develop into a remarkable woman.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Thought Policing....

In my opinion I think that you pagans could find other internet forums where your godless ideology is celebrated.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
In my opinion I think that you pagans could find other internet forums where your godless ideology is celebrated.
My God promotes accountability and honesty.

Instead of calling people names "You're a liar!" I become responsible for my emotions and do not project my unhappiness or anger on someone else.

Saying "I don't believe you" instead is more godly and at the same time, much more mature.

It is a little like the godless pop psychology offered 2,000 years ago. Look to the logs in your own eye before you point out the tiny speck of sawdust in your neighbors'.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
is that all true ? - :yawn:

Generally speaking, this is what I often find among posters in these forums. They are what I call "belief-based" instead of "action-based."

They would rather believe in something instead of changing their behavior to model Jesus.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

maybe the others, unbelievers or atheists come to TOL because deep down inside they know God Is -

they seek God in their own way; for now -

or not -

and they just wanna have fun - :banana: :cigar: :angrymob:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
If your goal is to communicate with others in ways that will actually be heard and listened to by those you are trying to influence, it is much more helpful to say:

"I don't see you as a Christian because... [and put an actual objective fact here. In other words, put in something that ANY objective observer would agree with]

When you stoop to labeling and name-calling (You said "YOU pagans"), people are going to naturally tune out and/or become defensive.

I am not a good practicer of the preaching I do, but I DO try to begin my opinion with the word I. That helps me be accountable for my own feelings and emotions and prevents me from making some hasty and superficial accusation of someone else.

Of course, you could easily just label my post "pagan psychology" and then you would feel justified and accurate about your
judgments