This Black WAS abused by cops.. Sandra Bland

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
We whites don't have the slightest clue what it's like to be a minority in the "land of the free & home of the brave."

Jose Fly

It's unbelievable that people think a cop has a right to tell you to put out your cigarette while you're in your own car.

Is smoking illegal? No. Is a cigarette a threat? No. Was the cop allergic to cigarette smoke? No.

The only reason the cop even brought that up is because she was being impolite and he was looking for an opportunity to exert his authority over her. Then when she rightly refused (news flash, you don't have to do anything and everything a cop tells you) he lost it. Why? Not because of the cigarette, but because she wasn't giving him the absolute, unquestioned authority he wanted.

Is that really the society you want to live in....one where the government, through law enforcement, demands absolute, unquestioned authority over even the most trivial of matters?

If so, then I wonder where some folks with this attitude were during the Cliven Bundy saga. I guess he and his supporters should have been shot on sight.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It's unbelievable that people think a cop has a right to tell you to put out your cigarette while you're in your own car.

Is smoking illegal? No. Is a cigarette a threat? No. Was the cop allergic to cigarette smoke? No.

Is that really the society you want to live in....one where the government, through law enforcement, demands absolute, unquestioned authority over even the most trivial of matters?

Unfortunately, that IS the society most conservatives seem to want to live in--some self-centered politically-correct universe where the government is just as mean to others as they are.

Nazaroo

Actually, cigarette smoking can be a death penalty offence
under the Law of Moses.

Its absolutely forbidden to burn foreign incense, (Exod. 30:9)
and its absolutely forbidden for anyone but a legitimate priest
even to burn the correct insense
, except in the correct circumstances.
(Lev. 10:1-2)

Smoking is an act of rebellion against a Holy God who demands
us to "Be holy, for I am holy!"

it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." —1 Peter 1:16.

Stop smoking.

GFR7

Actually, cigarette smoking can be a death penalty offence
under the Law of Moses.

Its absolutely forbidden to burn foreign incense, (Exod. 30:9)
and its absolutely forbidden for anyone but a legitimate priest
even to burn the correct insense
, except in the correct circumstances.
(Lev. 10:1-2)

Smoking is an act of rebellion against a Holy God who demands
us to "Be holy, for I am holy!"

it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." —1 Peter 1:16.

Stop smoking.
Right, but this is not what the cop had in mind when he told her to put it out.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well, when the drama is coming from within the neighborhood via rioting, arson, assault, looting,

I note that violent crime declined most strongly well before the militarization of the police.

And not so much now. So if anything, flash grenades, tanks, and all the other "modern police" weaponry made things worse.

Yeah, it's cool being Rambo. But maybe being a police officer makes more sense. Old fashioned, and kinda unexciting, maybe. But that's what professionalism is about.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Right, but this is not what the cop had in mind when he told her to put it out.

Do please explain to us how you know what was in his mind when he asked her to put it out, and how you know it couldnt possibly be because of her already exhibited attitude *assumed she might burn him because of it* or that he just didnt want smoke blown on him while he explained and had her sign the warning?

GFR7

Do please explain to us how you know what was in his mind when he asked her to put it out, and how you know it couldnt possibly be because of her already exhibited attitude *assumed she might burn him because of it* or that he just didnt want smoke blown on him while he explained and had her sign the warning?
I don't know this.

Maybe he should have explained that to her, as in, "I'd feel a bit more comfortable if you'd put that out before you sign this; you might burn me with it." (although people have been known to be able to function with a cigarette in hand). Maybe she would have viewed it as less of an arbitrary power play (which she obviously did view it as).

So why do you think the TX dept of public safety found him to be breaching protocol and acting unprofessionally?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't know this.

Maybe he should have explained that to her, as in, "I'd feel a bit more comfortable if you'd put that out before you sign this; you might burn me with it." (although people have been known to be able to function with a cigarette in hand). Maybe she would have viewed it as less of an arbitrary power play (which she obviously did view it as).

So why do you think the TX dept of public safety found him to be breaching protocol and acting unprofessionally?

The light you up comment was what they cited, not the asking her to put out her cigarette.

GFR7

The light you up comment was what they cited, not the asking her to put out her cigarette.
So what do you think they think he ought to have done when she expressed her belief that she could both continue smoking and remain in her car? :think:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So what do you think they think he ought to have done when she expressed her belief that she could both continue smoking and remain in her car? :think:

I dont assume what they thought. I care about what they said, which doesnt match your outrage.

They didnt say she could remain in her car, and the law says when he ordered her out, she had to get out, she didnt, that was her misfortune.

GFR7

I dont assume what they thought. I care about what they said, which doesnt match your outrage.

They didnt say she could remain in her car, and the law says when he ordered her out, she had to get out, she didnt, that was her misfortune.
Well, it's not black and white. Many legal experts say it was not a lawful order, and that he illegally (as per SCOTUS ruling) prolonged the traffic stop. And that was her misfortune, to have run into him.

@ANGEL: The man speaks well!

RETIRED NYPD POLICE COMMANDER REBUKES ARRESTING OFFICER IN BLAND CASE

Former New York City Police Department Commander Corey Pegues decided to weigh in on the Sandra Bland arrest.

Pegues gives his professional opinion and breaks down how rogue cops should be punished for their criminal behavior.

“After watching the dashcam footage of the car stop,” he explains, “I was startled by what happened.”

Pegues makes it clear that Bland was originally just thinking that she was getting out of the way of the cop who wanted to go around her.

“It goes from her getting of the way, to being issued a warning, to being threatened with Taser,” and finally being abused and locked up.

“Her cooperation stops at her giving her license, registration and insurance,” he adds.

“She can do whatever she wants. She’s inside of her vehicle.”

“She didn’t have to comply,” with an illegal order, including the instructions to put out her cigarette.

“We have to stop putting the onus on the victim,” Pegues explains.

“We have to stop saying ‘well you should have complied.’ No! The cop should have been professional!”

We have to stop saying ‘well you should have complied.’ No! The cop should have been professional!”

“If you’re issuing her a warning then issue her a warning,” he continues. “The onus is on the cop to make sure these encounters don’t go bad – not the victim. We can’t keep blaming the victims.”

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/07/retired-nypd-commander-speaks-out-on-sandra-bland-arrest/

Nazaroo

Two problems here:

(1) Why did the cops edit the police-car video?

Did they do it to crudely delete audio of her murder?
Then restore the video portion separately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFXItgzLZQQ

(2) The 'phonecall' from her cell from inside prison is ridiculous:
Here's what a police officer says:

" i heard the audio of the call from jail and it ended as if it was on a cell phone and she asked to call back. as a former correctional officer- no jail or prison allows you to have a cell phone. you cannot call back to a jail phone either. they have contracts with select phone company systems and both make a lot of money this way. also, she would have had to charge her phone and there would be no electrical outlets in a cell. also, in other videos, the cell has a giant trash can- which is extremely unlikely, not to mention the videos showing her cell had the garbage bag in the trash can. they must have been in an awful hurry to make sure a bag was in it right after she killed herself with one- or maybe it is all fake. why use a trash bag when you can use the bed sheet or blanket like most would do if they commit suicide under lockup. I am also a former police officer and there is an awful lot wrong with this whole stop. she was watched for and alerted on when in the area. she probably came up on NCIC as a domestic terrorist because of her activity with Black Lives Matter. she was harrassed and killed. they called for an ambulance but i never hear anything more from her. where are the ambulance and hospital records? people are missing key points- though if you were never a correctional officer or police officer, you might not know what to ask for. in her 'mugshot' i see marks around her neck.....not consistent with hanging, but an angled mark somewhat raised. perhaps from an arm. the officer was wrong and i suspect he murdered her himself."

GFR7

Two problems here:

(1) Why did the cops edit the police-car video?

Did they do it to crudely delete audio of her murder?
Then restore the video portion separately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFXItgzLZQQ

(2) The 'phonecall' from her cell from inside prison is ridiculous:
Here's what a police officer says:

" i heard the audio of the call from jail and it ended as if it was on a cell phone and she asked to call back. as a former correctional officer- no jail or prison allows you to have a cell phone. you cannot call back to a jail phone either. they have contracts with select phone company systems and both make a lot of money this way. also, she would have had to charge her phone and there would be no electrical outlets in a cell. also, in other videos, the cell has a giant trash can- which is extremely unlikely, not to mention the videos showing her cell had the garbage bag in the trash can. they must have been in an awful hurry to make sure a bag was in it right after she killed herself with one- or maybe it is all fake. why use a trash bag when you can use the bed sheet or blanket like most would do if they commit suicide under lockup. I am also a former police officer and there is an awful lot wrong with this whole stop. she was watched for and alerted on when in the area. she probably came up on NCIC as a domestic terrorist because of her activity with Black Lives Matter. she was harrassed and killed. they called for an ambulance but i never hear anything more from her. where are the ambulance and hospital records? people are missing key points- though if you were never a correctional officer or police officer, you might not know what to ask for. in her 'mugshot' i see marks around her neck.....not consistent with hanging, but an angled mark somewhat raised. perhaps from an arm. the officer was wrong and i suspect he murdered her himself."
I wish something would come of the investigative panels. I don't know why the original video was edited, but it was , according to many experts. I, too, had noted, the "well, call me back" - in jail? You can sit on your cellphone and have people call you back? that was my initial thought --this, and there are still many questions. Too many.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Whether these are explainable discrepancies, or whether a conspiracy is coming undone, or whether it's something else, will eventually come out.

It doesn't look good, but reasonable people will wait until it's all out.

bybee

Whether these are explainable discrepancies, or whether a conspiracy is coming undone, or whether it's something else, will eventually come out.

And just where are these reasonable people to be found?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I figure anyone who hasn't made a judgement on it, pending resolution of the missing tape data, and how that weird phone call fits into it, is being reasonable.

I don't think anyone figures the officer handled it well. Whether or not that and his failure to report accurately means he acted criminally will have to be resolved through the system.

As I said, it looks bad. But looking bad isn't always the end of the story.

Jose Fly

It's interesting to see some folks on the side of "if you're given an order by the government, you must follow it" in this case. I guess that means....

Cliven Bundy was in the wrong for not following the government order to remove his cattle, and was really wrong when armed militias showed up and pointed their weapons at law enforcement officials.

County clerks are in the wrong for not following the government order to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

The Christian bakers would be in the wrong if they violate the government order to stop saying they'll continue to discriminate against gays.

Funny to see certain people adopt the "if the government tells you to do it, you have to do it" attitude with Ms. Bland. Or maybe they're saying she would have been in the right had she called for an armed militia to defend her and force the government to step down?

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER

It was reasonable for him to pull her over for a warning or a ticket even. After that, reason seems to have flown out the window.