THINK (inside the box)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Thinking "outside the box" is overrated.

What if the truth isn't outside the box but inside the box? Every time I where this shirt somebody asks me about it, it's a great way to strike up a conversation! Pick up this thought provoking and conversation starting TOL exclusive t-shirt at the TOL store today. The "THINK" t-shirt comes in a variety of colors, sizes and styles. (some examples are below)

THINK - Inside the box.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmmm.... I only have the short sleeve shirt. I really like the long sleeve and especially since cooler weather is coming on, looks like I'm going to have to have one of those. :up:

MrRadish

I have to say, thinking inside the box is indeed underrated; it's my opinion that the 'box', as it were, should just be ignored, because thoughts within 'the box' can be just as deep as those without. Just as much insight can be gained from looking very deeply into previous thoughts, possibly coming up with 'new thoughts' in the process, than trying to be different and taking up a position contrary to the conventional. Indeed, I think that to an extent, rebellion (of a particular, predefined kind) is actually now encouraged by the media so much that it is paradoxically a form of conformism. As I say, I find it's best just to ignore the idea of a box at all, and measure your thoughts by your own standards, your own intellectual compass, regardless of whether it's unconventional or not.

Sorry to go on this huge tangent in a disucssion about T-shirts; I'm in a verbose mood.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have to say, thinking inside the box is indeed underrated; it's my opinion that the 'box', as it were, should just be ignored, because thoughts within 'the box' can be just as deep as those without. Just as much insight can be gained from looking very deeply into previous thoughts, possibly coming up with 'new thoughts' in the process, than trying to be different and taking up a position contrary to the conventional. Indeed, I think that to an extent, rebellion (of a particular, predefined kind) is actually now encouraged by the media so much that it is paradoxically a form of conformism. As I say, I find it's best just to ignore the idea of a box at all, and measure your thoughts by your own standards, your own intellectual compass, regardless of whether it's unconventional or not.

Sorry to go on this huge tangent in a disucssion about T-shirts; I'm in a verbose mood.
I rather enjoyed your post. Thank you! :up:

cujo

I liked you're post too, Radish. It's nice to have an intellectual in the circle, but your notion is contradictory. Truth can't be within because truth is universal. Otherwise, you're just going around in circles from one person to another, whether he likes molesting children or prefers Coke.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I liked you're post too, Radish. It's nice to have an intellectual in the circle, but your notion is contradictory. Truth can't be within because truth is universal. Otherwise, you're just going around in circles from one person to another, whether he likes molesting children or prefers Coke.
Welcome to TOL cujo. :wave:

MrRadish

Assuming that one is an objectivist! Which, admittedly, most people here are.

But the thing is, we presmably have not discovered the entire truth yet, otherwise we would be God, as we know everything. If we do not know the whole truth (and therefore that means that such truths that we supposedly do know might be partial and thus misleading), how can we be certain of the existence of universal truth (something that must be verified as truth in itself)?

But the original point I was making was that new thoughts/truths can be uncovered by the examination of existing ones and combining them with new ponderings/other, externally-discovered truths...

Sorry for the long time to respond! And welcome to TOL [shakes hand]

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But the thing is, we presmably have not discovered the entire truth yet, otherwise we would be God, as we know everything. If we do not know the whole truth (and therefore that means that such truths that we supposedly do know might be partial and thus misleading), how can we be certain of the existence of universal truth (something that must be verified as truth in itself)?

[shakes hand]

Do we have to be God in order to know that it's true that molesting and raping a child is wrong?

MrRadish

Do we have to be God in order to know that it's true that molesting and raping a child is wrong?

To truly know, yes. Obviously we can think that's it's wrong, be convinced of the opinion it's wrong, have incredibly good reasons to back up the idea it's wrong, and act on the fairly safe assumption it's wrong, but in my opinion we don't actually know it's wrong without being omniscient.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER

Thinking "outside the box" is overrated.

What if the truth isn't outside the box but inside the box? Every time I where this shirt somebody asks me about it, it's a great way to strike up a conversation! Pick up this thought provoking and conversation starting TOL exclusive t-shirt at the TOL store today. The "THINK" t-shirt comes in a variety of colors, sizes and styles. (some examples are below)

THINK - Inside the box.

Got mine!

:thumb:

Hiker

I think...

I think...

I think, therefore iMAC!

Nice shirt by the way! Very creative. (Maybe a little too complex for the government school folks!):dizzy:

TheFallenAngel

To me thinking inside the box means . . . thinking like everyone else
Thinking outside the box means thinking differently then anyone else.

You want to be able to do both.

I think you should make the word Think wider and and have the sides of the box shattering as the words break through. Representing that thinking can be both inside of and outside of the box at the same time.

bybee

To redfin re: the George McDonald quote< I'm currently reading "Christ in Your Life" by McDonald, a very heavy read. he believes that all will be saved,(C.S.Lewis added "all will be saved that wish to be saved....") yet, his insistence that we must come totally into sonship with God by giving up our will to his will for us must, in actuality, preclude most of us. What do you think? blessings, bybee

bybee

thinkinginsidethe box

thinkinginsidethe box

I think, therefore iMAC!

Nice shirt by the way! Very creative. (Maybe a little too complex for the government school folks!):dizzy:

thinking insidethe box would tend to impede neuronal connecting. whena thought hits the wall(of the box) it would stop. Have you thought of the possibility of I am, that is an actuality, therefore, I think, that is merely a possibility.....? pardonthe lack of punctuation. It hit a wall. blessings,bybee