Things To Know

Truster

Can i be a bother and bump in to quoute Psalms 90:4For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

This is symbolism as far as the numbers are concerned. Forget the numbers and focus on what is being conveyed. That the measurement of time has no significance or rule in eternity.

the589

This is symbolism as far as the numbers are concerned. Forget the numbers and focus on what is being conveyed. That the measurement of time has no significance or rule in eternity.

That is true, in the perspective of eternity we are like the blink of an eye.

There's also 2 Peter 3:8

Wether or not one day is really 1000 years it's probably insignificant for us. But digging deeper take a look at the shemitah in Deuteronomy 15:1 , that's 7 year cycle (or 7 day in sabbath weeks) and a 1 year break, or a sabbath day each 6 days(years). Also the 7 day(7000years?) creation and the resting day. There's the theory that a 1000 year rest for the planet is needed every 6000 years. Which in gregorian is around the year 2400

I don't know, just sharing. May be interesting for some to look into it

Truster

That is true, in the perspective of eternity we are like the blink of an eye.

There's also 2 Peter 3:8

Wether or not one day is really 1000 years it's probably insignificant for us. But digging deeper take a look at the shemitah in Deuteronomy 15:1 , that's 7 year cycle (or 7 day in sabbath weeks) and a 1 year break, or a sabbath day each 6 days(years). Also the 7 day(7000years?) creation and the resting day. There's the theory that a 1000 year rest for the planet is needed every 6000 years. Which in gregorian is around the year 2400

I don't know, just sharing. May be interesting for some to look into it

Do me a favour and stop pointing out the blatantly obvious. I know the scriptures and am fully aware of what Peter said.

You have a motive that seems to ignore the truth by throwing unnecessary questions to thwart the truth. You then say, "I don't know, just sharing". If you asked questions in a truthful and sincere spirit it would go well for you, but you are like the scribes and pharisees that asked questions to confuse and trap The Messiah and then the Apostles.

the589

Do me a favour and stop pointing out the blatantly obvious. I know the scriptures and am fully aware of what Peter said.

You have a motive that seems to ignore the truth by throwing unnecessary questions to thwart the truth. You then say, "I don't know, just sharing". If you asked questions in a truthful and sincere spirit it would go well for you, but you are like the scribes and pharisees that asked questions to confuse and trap The Messiah and then the Apostles.

I don't get it. I thought this was a theology section but you all seem to love is bickering to eachother. You attack me for no reason really. What really are you bothered with? You don't seem to do much but attack people and i just arrived on this forum

Truster

I don't get it. I thought this was a theology section but you all seem to love is bickering to eachother. You attack me for no reason really. What really are you bothered with? You don't seem to do much but attack people and i just arrived on this forum

I didn't attack you I exposed you to yourself. I might not be "nice" but nice is not an attribute of Elohim. Truth is not only an attribute of the Father it is personified in His Son.

I have spoken truth to you and you have hated the truth and despised the messenger.

the589

I didn't attack you I exposed you to yourself. I might not be "nice" but nice is not an attribute of Elohim. Truth is not only an attribute of the Father it is personified in His Son.

I have spoken truth to you and you have hated the truth and despised the messenger.

I tried sharing, preferably discuss some things in the bible and you're going on about some wierd stuff. I have the impression this is just an ego game to you and you don't take anything seriously? Lets just agree to disagree and avoid eachother next time alright?

WeberHome

Re: Things To Know

-
To Infinity And Beyond

Gen 1:14-18 . . God said: Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish Day from Night; they shall serve as signs for the set times— the days and the years; and they shall serve as lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth.

. . . And it was so. God made the two great lights, the greater light to dominate the day and the lesser light to dominate the night, and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to dominate the day and the night, and to distinguish light from darkness.

At that point in biblical history, "stars" no doubt indicated all objects in the heavens that blazed with light seeing as how it would be a very long time before humanity began categorizing some of the stars as planets.

I think it's important to emphasize that in the beginning God "set" the stars in the sky just as he set the Sun and the Moon in the sky, i.e. celestial objects didn't arrange themselves all by themselves sans any intelligent supervision whatsoever; no, they were placed; and not only were they set in place, but also set in motion-- nothing in the entire cosmos is standing still, though many things appear to be.

According to Gen 1:15, stars illuminated the Earth on the day that God made them.

Well; the only stars whose shine is of any practical use as illumination on the Earth are those of the Milky Way; which is estimated 100,000 to 180,000 light years in diameter. Of course light from stars nearest our location in the galaxy would begin dousing the earth with illumination long before those at the far side.

For example, light from Alpha Centauri takes only about 4½ years to reach Earth while light from Alpha Orionis (a.k.a. Betelgeuse) takes about 640. There are quite a few stars whose illumination reaches Earth in less than 50 years. But whether 4½ years, 50 years, 640 years, or 180,000 years; the time involved is insignificant if we but allow the days of creation to be epochs of indeterminate length rather than 24-hour events.

But what's the point of putting all those objects out there in space? Well, for one thing, they're not only brain teasers; but they're actually quite pretty. Celestial objects decorate the night sky like the ornamentation people put up during holidays. The night sky would sure be a bore if it was totally black. Decorated with stars; the night sky is like a beautiful tapestry, or a celestial Sistine Chapel.

"The heavens declare the glory of God, the sky proclaims His handiwork." (Ps 19:2)

Stars makes better sense that way than to try and find some other meaning for them. The universe is simply a magnificent work of art-- just as intriguing, if not more so, than the works of Picasso, Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Monet, Vermeer, and da Vinci --testifying to the genius of an engineer-artist without peer. I doubt the stars were ever meant to be a home for Mr. ET.

Sadly, a number of very intelligent people like Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson look to the sky for the wrong reasons. Personally, I think it's futile to look to the sky for SETI reasons. Why not just look to the sky for inspiration instead of intelligent extraterrestrial life? What's so bad about visiting the sky as a Metropolitan Museum of your maker's many-faceted talents?

"For what can be known about God is evident to them, because God made it evident to them. Ever since the creation of the world, His invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what He has made." (Rom 1:19-20)

/

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
-

Celestial objects require some special consideration because of their apparent distances and the apparent time it takes for their light to reach the Earth.

That vast stellar distances seem to contradict the plain reading of Scripture should lead us to question the vast distances versus trying to force the Bible to conform to extra-Biblical theories.

AMR

Epoisses

3• Although the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, the void is a bit more complicated due to the fact that it's state isn't steady. There are forces in space influencing not only light's path, but also its velocity. There was a time when scientists sincerely believed that although light could be slowed down, it could not be sped up; now they're not so sure.

The sin of Adam and Eve broke the whole universe not just planet earth. Before sin there was no death or decay which means suns didn't explode or go supernova, there were no planets being blown up by asteroids, the speed of light itself was probably instantaneous. It's hard to imagine what things looked like when they came fresh from the hand of God but it is nothing like what we see today. One of the promises in Revelation is that God will make a new heaven and new earth for the first heaven and the first earth will have passed away.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

When from 1999 till now was Christ fully formed in you?

Did you feel like he was tryin' to trap yuh?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hard-core Bible thumpers insist the days of creation were 24-hour calendar days in length; but scientific dating methods have easily proven that dinosaurs preceded human life by several million years. So then, in my estimation, the days of creation should be taken to represent epochs of indeterminable length rather than 24-hour calendar days.

"Then God said, 'Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night and let them be for signs and seasons and for days and years'" (Genesis 1:14)

According to the celestial bodies how long does it take for the earth to make one revolution on its axis?

According to the celestial bodies how long does it take for the earth to make one revolution around the sun?

Are you sure science does not agree on these issues?

Truster

When from 1999 till now was Christ fully formed in you?

Did you feel like he was tryin' to trap yuh?

Bearing in mind I'm not a Galatian and I was not converted under Paul's direct ministry. Then considering I was not approached by Judaizers insisting I be circumcised....what do you think?

WeberHome

-
Day And Night

Gen 1:4b-5a . . God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night.

Day and Night simply label two distinct, and opposite, conditions-- the absence of light, and/or the absence of darkness. Defining those conditions may seem like a superfluous detail, but when analyzing the chronology of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, it's essential to keep days and nights separate. When people attempt to define "day" as a twenty-four hour amalgam of light and darkness, they invariably come up with some rather convoluted interpretations of Matt 12:40.

Gen 1:14 . . God said: Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish Day from Night

On the first day; God defined Day as a condition of light; and defined Night as a condition of darkness. Here, it's further defined that Day, as pertains to life on Earth, is when the sun is up; and Night is when the sun is down.

These definitions occur so early in the Bible that they easily escape the memories of Bible students as they slip into the reflexive habit of always thinking of Days as 24-hour events. That's okay for calendars but can lead to gross misunderstandings when interpreting biblical schedules, predictions, and/or chronologies.

Gen 1:15-18a . . God made the two great lights, the greater light to dominate the day and the lesser light to dominate the night, and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to dominate the day and the night, and to distinguish light from darkness.

That passage not only defines "day" as when the sun is up, and "night" as when the sun is down; but it further defines night as when the stars are out; and yet people still don't think God means it.

Christ defined Day and Night as they were practiced when he was here.

John 11:9 . . Jesus answered: are there not twelve hours in the day? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light.

"this world's light" is the sun; which Christ defined as "by day". So if Christ's "day" was defined as when the sun was up; then Christ's "night" had to be defined as when the sun was down.

So then, when Christ predicted his death to last for three days and three nights, he obviously meant the hours of daytime and nighttime as they were understood when he was here rather than some other era otherwise the people in his own time wouldn't have known when to expect his crucified body to come back to life.

NOTE: Daytimes divided into twelve divisions were regulated by what's known as temporal hours; which vary in length in accordance with the time of year. There are times of the year at Jerusalem's latitude when daytime consists of less than 12 normal hours of sunlight, and sometimes more; but when Christ was here; the official number of daytime hours was always 12 regardless.

I don't know exactly why the Jews of that era divided their daytimes into twelve divisions regardless of the seasons, but I suspect it was just a convenient way to operate the government and conduct civil affairs; including the Temple's activities (e.g. the daily morning and evening sacrifices)

/

Truster

-
Day And Night

Gen 1:4b-5a . . God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night.

Day and Night simply label two distinct, and opposite, conditions-- the absence of light, and/or the absence of darkness. Defining those conditions may seem like a superfluous detail, but when analyzing the chronology of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, it's essential to keep days and nights separate. When people attempt to define "day" as a twenty-four hour amalgam of light and darkness, they invariably come up with some rather convoluted interpretations of Matt 12:40.

Gen 1:14 . . God said: Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish Day from Night

On the first day; God defined Day as a condition of light; and defined Night as a condition of darkness. Here, it's further defined that Day, as pertains to life on Earth, is when the sun is up; and Night is when the sun is down.

These definitions occur so early in the Bible that they easily escape the memories of Bible students as they slip into the reflexive habit of always thinking of Days as 24-hour events. That's okay for calendars but can lead to gross misunderstandings when interpreting biblical schedules, predictions, and/or chronologies.

Gen 1:15-18a . . God made the two great lights, the greater light to dominate the day and the lesser light to dominate the night, and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to dominate the day and the night, and to distinguish light from darkness.

That passage not only defines "day" as when the sun is up, and "night" as when the sun is down; but it further defines night as when the stars are out; and yet people still don't think God means it.

Christ defined Day and Night as they were practiced when he was here.

John 11:9 . . Jesus answered: are there not twelve hours in the day? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light.

"this world's light" is the sun; which Christ defined as "by day". So if Christ's "day" was defined as when the sun was up; then Christ's "night" had to be defined as when the sun was down.

So then, when Christ predicted his death to last for three days and three nights, he obviously meant the hours of daytime and nighttime as they were understood when he was here rather than some other era otherwise the people in his own time wouldn't have known when to expect his crucified body to come back to life.

NOTE: Daytimes divided into twelve divisions were regulated by what's known as temporal hours; which vary in length in accordance with the time of year. There are times of the year at Jerusalem's latitude when daytime consists of less than 12 normal hours of sunlight, and sometimes more; but when Christ was here; the official number of daytime hours was always 12 regardless.

I don't know exactly why the Jews of that era divided their daytimes into twelve divisions regardless of the seasons, but I suspect it was just a convenient way to operate the government and conduct civil affairs; including the Temple's activities (e.g. the daily morning and evening sacrifices)

/

A day was defined in 1st of Genesis. And the evening and the morning became the first day and so on. This was set in place before the sun and the moon along with the heaven host of stars were created...

WeberHome

-
The Image And Likeness Of God

Gen 1:26a . . And God said: Let us make Man in our image, after our likeness.

Because of the terms "image and likeness" there are some who believe that man's creator is a human being; or at least resembles one. But according to Christ, creation's master mind is non physical.

"God is spirit" (John 4:24)

According to Luke 24:36-39, spirit isn't solid.

Moses warned Yhvh's people to avoid making any kind of mannequin, figurine, totem pole, or statue representing God since no one has any true concept of what creation's God actually looks like in person. (Ex 4:10-19)

There exists absolutely nothing in nature physically resembling its creator; except maybe the air in front of your face-- neither Man, nor beast, nor plant, nor bird, nor bug, nor reptile nor anything out in the void (Rom 1:21-23). Concepts that portray the supreme being in human form are purely fantasy. (Rom 1:25)

Gen 1:26b . . let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

Humanity's right to dominate the earth is where we find at least a portion of its image and likeness of God. In other words: Man's image and likeness of God takes into consideration sovereignty, power, control, and authority. (cf. Gen 44:18)

The word for "rule" is from radah (raw-daw') and means: to tread down, i.e. subjugate; specifically: to crumble off.

I saw a pretty interesting bumper sticker some time ago that went like this:

We are not above the Earth;
We are of the Earth.

Well . . I respect the Native American cultural feelings behind that statement; but the cosmos' designer and builder decreed that though Man is of the earth; he is very definitely above it too, and has the God-given right to subjugate every living thing on the planet including its forests, its grasses, its rivers, its seas, its soil, its rocks, its air, its minerals, its mountains, its valleys, and even its tectonic plates and the earth's very atmosphere itself. And that's not the end of it. According to Heb 2:8, humanity is on track to take control of even more.

Another aspect of humanity's image and likeness of God is immortality.

Ex 3:13-14 . . Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I am that I am: and He said; thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, "I AM" hath sent me unto you.

In other words: God always was, He always is, and He always shall be.

Although it could never be said of humanity that it always was, in the beginning it could at least be said that humanity always is and always shall be; because according to Gen 3:22, the human body was meant to continue indefinitely.

God created all manner of living things in swarms and herds and flocks; no doubt to keep their numbers up because they weren't apportioned the tree of life for nourishment. It was located in the garden of Eden; to my knowledge, the tree was located nowhere else on Earth. In addition; the Hebrew word for "garden" indicates it was walled; probably to keep out foraging animals. In point of fact, I seriously doubt that the tree of life would've helped extend the life span of non human creatures even had they eaten from it; viz: the tree of life was strictly human food: a sort of ambrosia, so to speak.

Ps 82:6 . . I said: You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.

Humanity is as close to divine as a creature can possibly get.

Ps 8:4-8 . .What is man, that thou dost take thought of him? And the son of man, that thou dost care for him? Yet thou hast made him a little lower than God, and dost crown him with glory and majesty! Thou dost make him to rule over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

/

Last edited:

WeberHome

-
Big Daddy

The Phylogenetic Tree Of Life is an interesting scientific diagram that traces all forms of life back to a singular genetic heritage regardless of species. In other words; if you started with a raccoon, and followed it's branch down the tree far enough, you'd eventually intersect with another branch that you could then trace to mushrooms. The tree is sort of the equivalent of a Big Bang of living things.

The branch on that tree that interests me the most is the one that traces human life. According to the diagram; any two people you might select-- no matter what their age, race, or gender --if traced back far enough, can eventually be linked to a common ancestor; which of course is no surprise to Bible students.

Gen 2:21-23 . .Yhvh God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh at that place. And the God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. And the man said: This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The Hebrew for "rib" in that passage is tsela' (tsay-law') and Gen 2:21-23 contains the only two places in the entire Old Testament where it's translated with an English word representing a skeletal bone. In the other twenty-nine places, it's translated "side"

In other words: Eve wasn't constructed directly from the dust of the earth as was Adam. She was constructed from a human tissue sample amputated from Adam's body; ergo: Eve's flesh was derived from Adam's; consequently any and all human life produced by Eve's flesh is biologically traceable to Adam's flesh.

Gen 3:20 . . Adam named his wife Eve, because she would be the mother of all people everywhere.

Acts 17:26 . . He made from one man every variety of mankind to live on all the face of the earth

It was apparently the creator's deliberate design that all human life be biologically related to a sole source of human life-- the one and only human life that God created directly from the earth's dust; viz: Adam.

So then; it is not quite accurate to say that Christ didn't have a human father because if Christ was biologically related to his mother, and if his mother was biologically related to Eve, then Christ is biologically related to Adam just like everybody else.

/

WeberHome

-
Why Adam Didn't Drop Dead

Gen 2:15-17 . .The Lord God took the man and placed him in the garden of Eden, to till it and tend it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying: Of every tree of the garden you are free to eat; but as for the tree of knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat of it; for in the day you eat of it, you shall die.

That passage has always been an embarrassment for Bible thumpers because Adam didn't drop dead the instant he tasted the forbidden fruit. In point of fact, he continued to live outside the garden of Eden for another 800 years after the birth of his son Seth. (Gen 5:4)

So; is there a reasonable explanation for this apparent discrepancy?

Well; first off let me point out that in order for the threat to resonate in Adam's thinking; it had to be related to death as Adam understood death in his day, rather than death as the Bible thumpers understand it in their day. In other words: Adam didn't expect to die spiritually. No, he expected to die normally; viz: physically; like as in pass away.

How can I be so sure that God meant normal death instead of spiritual death? Because according to Gen 3:19 that's how it worked out; and to make sure Adam stayed normally dead, God blocked his access to the tree of life. (Gen 3:22-24)

Anyway; the trick is: Adam wasn't told he would die the instant he tasted the fruit. God's exact words were "in the day"

Well; according to Gen 2:4, the Hebrew word for "day" is a bit ambiguous. It can easily indicate a period of time much, much longer than 24 hours' viz; the "day" of Adam's death began the moment he ate the fruit.

That was a milestone in human history. Up till Adam tasted the fruit, the only days on record were the six of creation, and the one when God ceased creating. Adam inaugurated a new day by tasting the fruit-- the day of death.

"Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men" (Rom 5:12)

Well; like Jack Palance's character Curly in the movie City Slickers said: "The day ain't over yet"

Ecc 7:2 . . It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of gaiety, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this seriously.

/

WeberHome

-
Why Everyone Has To Die At Least Once

Prior to Moses an official code of divine law, containing lethal consequences, had yet to be issued.

Rom 5:13-14 . . Before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam.

The answer is: they all had to die not because of breaking an official code of divine law; but because of Adam breaking just one rule (Gen 2:16-17). His disobedience in the matter of the forbidden fruit effected his entire posterity: both the good and the bad; the young and the old.

This is really difficult for some people to get their heads around. Nevertheless, it's very important to accept it whether one understands it or not because Paul applies this principle in his effort to explain why it is that believers never have to worry about being condemned for their sins. (Rom 5:12-21)

NOTE: Opponents are often quick to point out that Ezek 18:20 says that children don't share their father's guilt. But hey, which came first? Adam or Ezekiel? So then, since Adam's incident came along many years before Ezekiel's prophecy, then God was at liberty back then to reckon Adam's posterity as joint principals in his act of disobedience.

Rom 5:12 . . Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin; and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned.

"all sinned" has no reference to all's own personal sins; just Adam's, i.e. his sin became everyone's sin, even everyone yet to be born.

/