ECT The word interpretation

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What does it mean to interpret?

For example we have translations of the Bible, or switching from one language to the next in conversation.

Also there is how to interpret a text or what interpretation or interpretations can or might be given to a text.

DAN P

For example we have translations of the Bible, or switching from one language to the next in conversation.

Also there is how to interpret a text or what interpretation or interpretations can or might be given to a text.

Hi , and it is fair to say that translation are not ALL Literal !!

Most translation are Transliteration or Phrasing and a lot of o-missions , which leaves KJV-ONLY sucking dust !!

Interpret is a Greek word , HERMENEUO which means to Expound , like in Acts 9:36 !!

The Greek word CHARIS is translated 12 different English words as is the Greek word BAPRIZO , also translated 12 different ways and is a Transliterated Greek word with no English EQUIVALENT !!

Still lokking for the Greek word for POPE and PURGATORY , but have not found them !!

DAN P

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Hi , and it is fair to say that translation are not ALL Literal !!

Most translation are Transliteration or Phrasing and a lot of o-missions , which leaves KJV-ONLY sucking dust !!

Interpret is a Greek word , HERMENEUO which means to Expound , like in Acts 9:36 !!

The Greek word CHARIS is translated 12 different English words as is the Greek word BAPRIZO , also translated 12 different ways and is a Transliterated Greek word with no English EQUIVALENT !!

Still lokking for the Greek word for POPE and PURGATOEY , but have not found them !!

DAN P
Before a person engages in interpreting a text or investigating given interpretations to a text, he should read the text.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Interpretation" is a word evolutionists use when they do not like what the Bible plainly says.

iamaberean

The first rule to properly interpret the bible is to make note of to whom this particular scripture is speaking to. Most people ignore this and think every scripture is direct to them.

For example:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Ask the question, who? The answer here is the seven churches of Asia. Not some future churches.

If one doesn't understand this first rule then they won't understand Jesus' words "I come quickly" either.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

that is like asking

what does mean mean?

how do yo explain all the different beliefs just here at tol?

different interpretations of the bible

catholics believe peter is the rock Jesus built His church on
because
Jesus changed his name from simon to peter which means rock

that is our interpretation
you and others have a different one

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The first rule to properly interpret the bible is to make note of to whom this particular scripture is speaking to. Most people ignore this and think every scripture is direct to them.
The audience is important, yes. Every scripture is for every person, but not every scripture had you or me for an intended audience when it was written. Since the Bible is the word of God it does have, in its entirety, application to our lives.
For example:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Ask the question, who? The answer here is the seven churches of Asia. Not some future churches.

If one doesn't understand this first rule then they won't understand Jesus' words "I come quickly" either.
Do you believe you understand these words?

DAN P

For example:

Hi and these are the 4 rules I use !''

#1 , Historical

#2 , Dispensation ''

#3 , Grammatical

#4 , And the most IGNORGED word CONTEXT !!

And I will add , if you do not recognize VERB Tenses you are at a dis-advantage as the OP ,did not recognize Transliterations !!

dan p

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
How many believers actually believe that the Bible is without error and yet at the same time believe that their own interpretation of the Bible is ALSO "without error"?

Useful, yes. Inspiring, of course. Helpful and sustaining--no problem.

But actually believing themselves to really be "without error" when interpreting the Bible?

No way. Nonsense. Naïve. Arrogant. Ego-driven.

I am not always successful (I'm a human being after all) but I try to take on Jesus' teaching about paying attention to the logs in my own eye before I deem it necessary to point out and criticize those tiny bits of sawdust in my brother's and sister's.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
And how are you sure you ARE following Jesu's teaching?

I see a world of difference between the Tynedale and KJV and other versions....one thing to note is that there is no contradiction of doctrine in the KJ, the theology is uniform throughout...

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
that is like asking

what does mean mean?

how do yo explain all the different beliefs just here at tol?

different interpretations of the bible

catholics believe peter is the rock Jesus built His church on
because
Jesus changed his name from simon to peter which means rock

that is our interpretation
you and others have a different one

I do

...but you will never convince me that it was the RCC.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Hi and these are the 4 rules I use !''

#1 , Historical

#2 , Dispensation ''

#3 , Grammatical

#4 , And the most IGNORGED word CONTEXT !!

And I will add , if you do not recognize VERB Tenses you are at a dis-advantage as the OP ,did not recognize Transliterations !!

dan p

dan p,

What is translation as compared with transliteration?

When I bring up interpretation or what it means to interpret something, I do think of translations. But there is also the (spiritual) gift of interpretation. Or is it just when you know what something means? Even not just across languages?

DAN P

dan p,

What is translation as compared with transliteration?

When I bring up interpretation or what it means to interpret something, I do think of translations. But there is also the (spiritual) gift of interpretation. Or is it just when you know what something means? Even not just across languages?

Hi and what I mean is . not all Greek have an English EQUIVALENT and that is why they are called Transliterations .

Is 1 Cor 15:29 baptisn is not the same as Baptism in Heb 10:9 , Notme as Rom 6:the same as 1 Cor 10:2 NOR is it the same as Rom 6:3 and 4 !

The book of Acts has 18 Transliterated word and here are a few :

Angel
apostle
baptism
Israel
Pentecost
Sabbath

Just to name a few !!

Hope I cleared it up !!

dan p

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
in·ter·pret
inˈtərprət/
verb
verb: interpret; 3rd person present: interprets; past tense: interpreted; past participle: interpreted; gerund or present participle: interpreting

explain the meaning of (information, words, or actions).
"the evidence is difficult to interpret"
synonyms: explain, elucidate, expound, explicate, clarify, illuminate, shed light on More
"the rabbis interpret the Jewish laws"
decipher, decode, unscramble, make intelligible;
understand, comprehend, make sense of, figure out;
informalcrack
"the symbols are difficult to interpret"
translate orally or into sign language the words of a person speaking a different language.
"I agreed to interpret for Jean-Claude"
perform (a dramatic role or piece of music) in a particular way that conveys one's understanding of the creator's ideas.
synonyms: perform, act, play, render, depict, portray
"he interpreted the role of Hamlet"
understand (an action, mood, or way of behaving) as having a particular meaning or significance.
"her self-confidence was often interpreted as brashness"
synonyms: understand, construe, take (to mean), see, regard
"the remark was interpreted as an invitation"

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
And how are you sure you ARE following Jesu's teaching?

I see a world of difference between the Tynedale and KJV and other versions....one thing to note is that there is no contradiction of doctrine in the KJ, the theology is uniform throughout...
I disagree. I can find clear differences between an among the gospels.

They were written by men who were inspired to present the gospel to the rest of us. Gospel literally means "Good News" and the word "good" is always an interpretation. And news (to remain news) has to be constantly updated.

If you read the gospels side-by-side, the way historians do, you can clearly see both Luke and Matthew followed the order of Mark's gospel and then both changed it in ways to reflect their own different audiences and agendas.

It can become really enriching to see how these apostles were moved by their God to write their own interpretation of Jesus and what he meant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Hi and what I mean is . not all Greek have an English EQUIVALENT and that is why they are called Transliterations .

Is 1 Cor 15:29 baptisn is not the same as Baptism in Heb 10:9 , Notme as Rom 6:the same as 1 Cor 10:2 NOR is it the same as Rom 6:3 and 4 !

The book of Acts has 18 Transliterated word and here are a few :

Angel
apostle
baptism
Israel
Pentecost
Sabbath

Just to name a few !!

Hope I cleared it up !!

dan p

Will all respect dan p, I believe a transliteration involves any word that goes from one language to another, involving the written text and how it appears. That is, you can read how a word sounds in one language even by reading it in your own, though with different letters/characters for the different language.

Translating a phrase or a verse or a book is one thing. Looking for word for word or thought for thought correspondence makes sense in a translation. Some translations even account for idioms. A paraphrase is different though kind of like a translation or it is considered another type of translation.

But providing a transliteration from one language/text to an other is different. If you are reading words that are transliterations, you are likely sounding out or seeing text that approximates in your language with your text how it would be in the other language the transliteration is made from.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Will all respect dan p, I believe a transliteration involves any word that goes from one language to another, involving the written text and how it appears. That is, you can read how a word sounds in one language even by reading it in your own, though with different letters/characters for the different language.

Translating a phrase or a verse or a book is one thing. Looking for word for word or thought for thought correspondence makes sense in a translation. Some translations even account for idioms. A paraphrase is different though kind of like a translation or it is considered another type of translation.

But providing a transliteration from one language/text to an other is different. If you are reading words that are transliterations, you are likely sounding out or seeing text that approximates in your language with your text how it would be in the other language the transliteration is made from.
Whether it is always sounds or just "equivalent" characters (that when combined with the other characters transliterated together make a transliterated word, not necessarily a different word that is said to mean the same thing, just represented by different characters that are present in the different language) and sometimes similar sounds though if I am going by wikipedia I am not 100 percent sure. There under transliteration transliteration is contrasted with transcription though the contrast may not be correct (I don't know for certain and though these are different words I am not confident of the definition or usage) the example for transliteration seems to be a poor example.