The Wild Wild "West"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sozo

godrulz said:
I did work all night and I am half asleep :rolleyes:

If one wrongly assumes that only Pauline writings are primarily for today's Church, then one sees contradiction and filters things through this lens.

If one recognizes the validity of the NT, especially post-resurrection of Christ, as applicable, then careful exegesis does not lead to a contradiction between Paul, Jesus, and James.

Jimmy, you are on the hot box. Get back here. :shut:

Not only does James not agree with Paul, but he does not agree with the truth.

James clearly lies when he says that Abraham was justified by works.

There are only two possible conclusions.

James is either a false teacher.

or

James is quoting the teachings of false teachers. "Someone may well say"

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Not only does James not agree with Paul, but he does not agree with the truth.

James clearly lies when he says that Abraham was justified by works.

There are only two possible conclusions.

James is either a false teacher.

or

James is quoting the teachings of false teachers. "Someone may well say"

Why didn't you say so before (assuming there is not a third option)? James is not a false teacher, so he is refuting false teachers? Does that mean we actually agreed against Mid-Acts all along? Yet, James under the inspiration of the Spirit, still adds commentary about works vs faith.

A similar thing happens with Paul in Corinthians. He quotes what they were saying (some commentators think it was Paul's words), and then corrects them with sound doctrine (e.g. 'all things are lawful'...).

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
Ultradispensationalism is a heresy.

Jesus did not teach works. He said the work of God was to believe (also see Jn. 3). Follow the flow of James' argument rather than taking isolated verses out of context. He talks about saving faith having practical impact in contrast to devil's head belief. The contrast is not faith vs works, but saving faith with works (fruit) and mere mental belief that does not save (like the devil has).

Matt 5:17-18.
17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

John 14:21
21He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

Matt 19:16-19
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"
17So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
18He said to Him, "Which ones?"
Jesus said, ""You shall not murder,' "You shall not commit adultery,' "You shall not steal,' "You shall not bear false witness,' 19"Honor your father and your mother,' and, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Matt 23:1-3.
1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works, for they say, and do not do.

Matt 28:18-20.
18And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

This doesn't sound like Paul, it sounds like James. :think:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
By what authority do you negate the teachings of Jesus (the one who promised to build His church on Peter's confession= Mt. 16) for the Church? Jesus was talking to Jews, by and large, and was in a transition between Old and New Covenant (after His resurrection 'it is finished'...the Spirit birthed the church at Pentecost...God did not have to wait for Paul to get the gospel right...the Great Commission is being fulfilled in the Church Age despite what you guys say).

You are selectively quoting things that can be understood in context based on the people he was talking to. You are not quoting His other teaching that talks about faith/belief alone contrasted with unbelief, not works.

Status
Not open for further replies.