The UFC Thread

Daniel1611

That was great seeing Ronda Rousey knock out Bethe Correia the other night in 34 seconds. If the UFC doesn't wise up and throw Fallon Fox out of the women's division, I would like to see Rousey beat that dude in 4 seconds.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That was great seeing Ronda Rousey knock out Bethe Correia the other night in 34 seconds. If the UFC doesn't wise up and throw Fallon Fox out of the women's division, I would like to see Rousey beat that dude in 4 seconds.

she is unstoppable so far in her career - did Roddy Piper pass away ?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yeah he died the other day. That's a shame. Apparently him and Ronda Rousey became friends. She asked him for permission to use "Rowdy.". Roddy Piper was one of the best.

i saw that too on the news - the friendship and name use permission. an honor and a tribute. we had wrestling at the Chase here in St Louis, lots of history. i stayed at a retreat for about 3 weeks with a son of Harley Race. i honestly haven't kept up with UFC, pro wrestling or boxing MMA etc. for a long time. i'm not current on the topic

Daniel1611

i saw that too on the news - the friendship and name use permission. an honor and a tribute. we had wrestling at the Chase here in St Louis, lots of history. i stayed at a retreat for about 3 weeks with a son of Harley Race. i honestly haven't kept up with UFC, pro wrestling or boxing MMA etc. for a long time. i'm not current on the topic

Back in the 90s when I was a kid, pro wrestling was huge. I loved it. I don't really watch anymore. It's just not good like it once was. I have been into UFC though.

Rousey said she would like to get into pro wrestling. Brock Lesnar was very successful in his transition from pro wrestling to UFC. Now he's back in pro wrestling. That guy is one heck of an athlete.

The Berean

Back in the 90s when I was a kid, pro wrestling was huge. I loved it. I don't really watch anymore. It's just not good like it once was. I have been into UFC though.

Rousey said she would like to get into pro wrestling. Brock Lesnar was very successful in his transition from pro wrestling to UFC. Now he's back in pro wrestling. That guy is one heck of an athlete.

There are some people on the Internet who actually think Rousey could take down Brock Lesner! :rotfl:

Daniel1611

There are some people on the Internet who actually think Rousey could take down Brock Lesner! :rotfl:

There are idiots on the internet. Lol.

Rousey is amazing though. She's getting haters now though because she said "trans woman" Fallon Fox shouldn't be in the women's division because he has an unfair advantage.

The Berean

There are idiots on the internet. Lol.

Rousey is amazing though. She's getting haters now though because she said "trans woman" Fallon Fox shouldn't be in the women's division because he has an unfair advantage.

Rousey is really good but it's hard to tell how good she is because the talent in women's MMA right now is rather shallow.

Quetzal

Rousey is really good but it's hard to tell how good she is because the talent in women's MMA right now is rather shallow.
I had this discussion with a few of my friends the other day. We focus primarily in jiu jitsu, for a bit of background. We came to the conclusion it's both. She has a fantastic game that is simple, effective, and easy to execute. Her work ethic has been molded since she was very young and it will take a long time for other women to catch up.

Quetzal

I don't know. I really like the women's division.
I do, too. But as far as combat sports goes, Rousey is just too experienced. She has been a world class athlete for a very long time. Most women in this sport have only been training for a few years. Rousey has been training for a better part of her whole life.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The poker table is full of lies, but when talking about other things people say the darndest things that they really think. Like how she could beat 99% of the men.

Daniel1611

The poker table is full of lies, but when talking about other things people say the darndest things that they really think. Like how she could beat 99% of the men.

She might not be able to beat many men in ufc, but she would wipe the floor with pretty much any man who isnt a trained fighter.

Buzzword

This is what too few people who criticize her realize.

As the daughter of the first American to win a gold medal in Judo in the Olympics who has been training Judo since she was eight years old, combined with world-class striking coaches, she's basically the equivalent of Royce Gracie in a room full of amateur boxers.

And she's hella fun to watch.
People also complain that she wins too fast (oh horror of horrors!) but Olympic Judo doesn't leave much time to work on the ground before the ref stands you back up, so going for a submission requires lighting-fast movements.

Thus her string of wins by armbar.

Critics had pointed out that she just waded in taking punches in order to get the clinch and thus the throw and thus the armbar, but her most recent fights demonstrate much more technical, precise, and powerful strikes and head movement.

So she's STILL GETTING BETTER, while already nearly invincible.
Which I guess people find boring?

I dunno.
I've been a huge fan of women's Judo, and of Judo's application in MMA, for nearly a decade now, so I'm all for as much of Rousey as we can get.

Last edited:

Danoh

Consider what you may or may not know about Judo - the more skilled the Judoka or Judo player, the simpler for them to use the stronger, heavier individual's strength and weight against them and with great speed.

If greater Judo skill is anything, it is very slippery ice in human form - down you will go, and faster, the heavier you are, and the more you come at it's player relying on greater weight, strength and brute force alone.

That is her advantage - her very, very tight skill set, all its pieces put together just right and honed to a level not often seen.

It was just a matter of time before the Judoka showed the Brazilian Jujitsu player the real science behind their sport.

Daniel1611

Rousey has only spent like 25 minutes in the octagon in her 12 fights. She's awesome. Cyborg will probably give her more of a fight. That fight might go 60 seconds.

Buzzword

Rousey has only spent like 25 minutes in the octagon in her 12 fights. She's awesome. Cyborg will probably give her more of a fight. That fight might go 60 seconds.

If Cyborg can make weight.
And not get busted for 'roids.

I hate seeing people online call Ronda a coward for not fighting at a higher weight class when she's CHAMPION at 135.
And the fact that she's making more per fight than Cyborg would make in a year of fights.

Ronda has zero reason to fight Cyborg at any other weight class, and since Cyborg ISN'T dominating the weight class she's in (a weight class that isn't even available in the UFC), there's not even really a superfight there for anyone but the hardcore fans who have actually heard of Cyborg.

...as compared to the legions of "casual" fans who are all over the Rousey bandwagon and couldn't care less about Cyborg.