The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Rosenritter

Yahweh.

That depends on the scripture.

Many times Malek Yahweh spoke, face to face, with the prophets, in human form.

God was known by different names and titles in the OT.

Here are a few...

God The Father was known as:

• Yahweh
• Elohim ‘God’
• El Elyon ‘God Most High’ (Gen 14.18, 19, 20, 22)
• El Olam ‘God Eternal’ (Gen 21.33
• Adonai Yahweh ‘Lord Yahweh’ (Gen 15.2, 8)

God The Son was known as:

• El Shaddai ‘God of Mighty Ones’ (Gen 17.1, 28.3, 35.11, 43.14, 48.3, 49.25; Exo 6.3)
• Elohim ‘God’ (Gen 16.13, 22.12, 31.13; Exo 3.6)
• The Malek Elohim ‘The Messenger of God’ (Gen 21.17; 31.11)
• The Malek Yahweh ‘ The Messenger of Yahweh’ (Gen 16.7, 9 - 11; 22.11, 15)
• Debar Yahweh ‘The Word of Yahweh’ (Gen 15.1, 4; Exo 9.20, 21)

God The Spirit was known as:

• The Ruach of Elohim ‘Spirit of God’ (Gen 1.2)
• The Ruach of Yahweh ‘Spirit of Yahweh’ (Gen 6.3)

I appreciate your taking the time to make those lists, but they seem a little ... arbitrary to me. I noticed that your citation of Genesis 6:3 said that this was referencing the Person called the Holy Spirit. When I hover my mouse over it it looked like this:

Genesis 6:3 NKJV
(3) And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive [9] with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

I boldfaced "My Spirit" because it makes it look like a Proper Noun. Except it's not being used in the sense of a name, and it seems like it's trying to force something into that passage that isn't naturally there. Here's what it looks like in the KJV without the "New" tacked on the front.

Genesis 6:3 KJV
(3) And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Tyndale and the Bishop's Bible uses "My spirit" and the Calvinistic Geneva Bible capitalizes "Spirit" ... I know that the Hebrew doesn't use capital letters and that these are chosen by the translators. Add in the American Standard Version, the Revised Version, and the Catholic Douay-Rheims with "spirit" in lowercase, also the NIV and NASB on the "Spirit" capitalized side of this fence.

It seems to me that there isn't a clear consensus that Genesis 6:3 is using "spirit" ("Spirit?") in the sense of a proper noun, as a name of a person.If there was then we wouldn't have bibles falling on one side or the other here, would we?

I just picked one out as an example. Pretty much all of those looked like they were vague, at best. Do you have anything that is real and solid where God introduces himself as if he was a Trinity? Even if we were to suppose such a thing as true, it seems to me that from the emphasis given it (if it is there?) that God doesn't think it that important. Certainly not as important as some people on these boards seem to think.

God's Truth

I appreciate your taking the time to make those lists, but they seem a little ... arbitrary to me. I noticed that your citation of Genesis 6:3 said that this was referencing the Person called the Holy Spirit. When I hover my mouse over it it looked like this:

(3) And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive [9] with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

I boldfaced "My Spirit" because it makes it look like a Proper Noun. Except it's not being used in the sense of a name, and it seems like it's trying to force something into that passage that isn't naturally there. Here's what it looks like in the KJV without the "New" tacked on the front.

(3) And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Tyndale and the Bishop's Bible uses "My spirit" and the Calvinistic Geneva Bible capitalizes "Spirit" ... I know that the Hebrew doesn't use capital letters and that these are chosen by the translators. Add in the American Standard Version, the Revised Version, and the Catholic Douay-Rheims with "spirit" in lowercase, also the NIV and NASB on the "Spirit" capitalized side of this fence.

It seems to me that there isn't a clear consensus that Genesis 6:3 is using "spirit" ("Spirit?") in the sense of a proper noun, as a name of a person.If there was then we wouldn't have bibles falling on one side or the other here, would we?

I just picked one out as an example. Pretty much all of those looked like they were vague, at best. Do you have anything that is real and solid where God introduces himself as if he was a Trinity? Even if we were to suppose such a thing as true, it seems to me that from the emphasis given it (if it is there?) that God doesn't think it that important. Certainly not as important as some people on these boards seem to think.

What don't you get about there being three? Why do you keep fighting it? God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

They are all the same, but there is still three.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can't be three persons. The Most High is Jesus' father.
Matthew 28:19-20New King James Version (NKJV)

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no example of that formula being used. Jesus Christ is the head of the church and the Father is Jesus' head.

The Father conceived Jesus as human by the power of his Holy Spirit.

Today we are the personification of the Holy Spirit.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no example of that formula being used. Jesus Christ is the head of the church and the Father is Jesus' head.

The Father conceived Jesus as human by the power of his Holy Spirit.

Today we are the personification of the Holy Spirit.

It is said at every baptism I have been to.

Apple7

See what happens when you fail to study the original languages...

See what happens when you fail to study the original languages...

God the Father says there is only one.

Jesus is God the Father.

Deuteronomy 4:35
You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other.

Deut 4.35

To you it was revealed, so that you might know that Yahweh is HaElohim (literal.. ‘all the Gods’), and no one else besides Him.

Thanks for proving my point.

Deuteronomy 4:39
Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Deut 4.39

Know today, and turn back your heart to it, that Yahweh, He is HaElohim (literal.. ‘all the Gods’) in the heavens above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.

Thanks, again, for proving my point.

Apple7

We have to wonder why you repeatedly reference Trinitarian-rendered English translations for your denial of it.

What's the matter, can't you find a modalist translation?

God reveals Himself as Triune ALL the way through the Holy Bible...and I have been steadily providing examples in this thread.

Maybe, just maybe, if you stopped long enough to look, and study, then you would begin obtaining your theology as a sit-down meal....instead of at the drive-through window...

God's Truth

We have to wonder why you repeatedly reference Trinitarian-rendered English translations for your denial of it.

What's the matter, can't you find a modalist translation?

God reveals Himself as Triune ALL the way through the Holy Bible...and I have been steadily providing examples in this thread.

Maybe, just maybe, if you stopped long enough to look, and study, then you would begin obtaining your theology as a sit-down meal....instead of at the drive-through window...

The trinity doctrine came from the Catholics...think about it.