The Saudis Get Tough

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
60 Minutes ran a story recently about a classified set of documents that, if released, could give fairly astonishing insight into a potential role played by the Saudis in the 9/11 attacks. Congress is mulling over a bill that would hold Saudi Arabia responsible in U.S. courts for any role they may have played. The Saudis responded with a pretty direct line, stating that they would sell up to $750B in U.S. Treasuries and other American assets if Congress passed the bill. It seems doubtful that Saudi Arabia would follow through on such threats as American assets and U.S. Treasuries are some of the most coveted balance sheet items in the foreign world – but it would not be the first time surprises came in droves from that region. It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.

LoneStar

From what I have gleaned in the news, the US can siege all Saudi assets here if they are found to be culpable in 9/11 attacks. Hoping it's not idle threats.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The problem here is the viability to US assets. If the US were to hold payment on demand of payment of debts, we would have compromised our guarantee of asset value. There are two issues: prosecuting international terrorism, and being able to hold on the US asset value. If viability of our assets were to lose international confidence, it could lead to the biggest depression in history. To avoid this, we would have to pay off all debts and then take action on terrorism. This would cause a deep recession for the near future.

With the Saudis, we are not dealing with national aggression, rather fraction terrorist groups.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let me shed some light even though I have never seen any of these intel reports. Obama is on the side of Iran. Not Saudi Arabia.