The Rump Congress and the Christmas Coup

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Thank goodness. Imagine if the everyone who decided how to enforce the law was worried about their next election. Every cop would have an ax to grind.
Judges are elected and so are legislators, this isn't about cops. They decide "how to enforce the law" and you are the one who used the term law enforcement. So basically, laws ARE decided by voters and elections. The President appoints the top law enforcement officer as well. Imagine if a few "law enforcement" officers decided to take the law into their own hands and quote "save the country. I can do that on many levels" and " we need a plan B" or "We need an insurance policy to stop Trump from being President" and these law dogs happen to be leading very political investigations.

Mueller is a slack jawed lackey and Trump is the Commander.

rexlunae

Judges are elected...

Not federal judges.

... and so are legislators, this isn't about cops.

The point is, people who stand for election are subject to political forces that other people aren't. That why we don't elect judges, at the federal level. That's why our politicians don't give orders to law enforcement agencies that they administrate. A person who stands for election has no higher priority than putting on the kind of show their voters want, and that doesn't necessarily mean they follow the law. Trey Gowdy might have been a perfectly good prosecutor, but when he ran for Congress, he stopped focusing on the law and instead focused on his voters. And his voters are crazy.

They decide "how to enforce the law" and you are the one who used the term law enforcement. So basically, laws ARE decided by voters and elections.

I'm all for that. What I'm not in favor of is politicized justice.

The President appoints the top law enforcement officer as well.

Yes. Usually, the person chosen is a legal rather than a political figure. Unless I'm mistaken, Sessions was the first AG picked from Congress during my lifetime, and the first with a background in electoral politics in a very long time. Of course, the President can name anyone he wants, but a good AG shouldn't be a politician, and shouldn't bring a huge agenda of their own.

Imagine if a few "law enforcement" officers decided to take the law into their own hands and quote "save the country. I can do that on many levels" and " we need a plan B" or "We need an insurance policy to stop Trump from being President" and these law dogs happen to be leading very political investigations.

The way the Justice Department is structured, investigations are intended to be initiated from the bottom up rather than the top down, to avoid it becoming politicized. That's a convention that administrations of both parties have stuck to for decades, with the most notable departure prior to this year being Nixon.

Mueller is a slack jawed lackey and Trump is the Commander.

Mueller's a better, fairer man than you, me, or Trump will ever be. He deserves respect. He deserves the space to get his job done.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mueller's a better, fairer man than you, me, or Trump will ever be. He deserves respect. He deserves the space to get his job done.

Indeed. Interestingly enough, Mueller received wide-spread approval for his appointment as special investigator ... UNTIL it became obvious to all that he is uncovering all the evidence needed to prove Trump colluded with Putin to sway the election against his opponent. At first I was wary (due to his political affiliation) but it is obvious to every honest observer that Mueller is a man of integrity.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Indeed. Interestingly enough, Mueller received wide-spread approval for his appointment as special investigator ... UNTIL it became obvious that he ia uncovering all the evidence needed to prove Trump colluded with Putin to sway the election against his opponent. At first I was wary (due to his political affiliation) but it is obvious to every honest observer that Mueller is a man of integrity.
:rotfl:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have already said many times that if Trump is found guilty of an actual crime I won't support him. I respect Mueller even though I call him a slack jawed lackey. I don't want any interference in the investigation of the election and obstruction. I want a completely thorough investigation that leaves no doubt or questions. I want the complete and total truth about every aspect of the investigation and Trump's alleged collusion or obstruction of the witch hunt.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have already said many times that if Trump is found guilty of an actual crime I won't support him.
A reasonable position. Do you think it's true of every Trump supporter? Of most?

I don't want any interference in the investigation of the election and obstruction.
Another good position. Absolutely.

I want a completely thorough investigation that leaves no doubt or questions.
Not sure if that's possible in this political climate, but a good aim to be sure.

I want the complete and total truth about every aspect of the investigation and Trump's alleged collusion or obstruction of the witch hunt.
Sounds fair.

I respect Mueller even though I call him a slack jawed lackey.
The only off note. If the former point is true then the latter shouldn't be interjected. First because it will mislead people and lessen the weight of the reasonable that surrounds it, and because it undermines the institution and supports the rampant, cynical notion that the only person who ever tells us the truth is in agreement.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have already said many times that if Trump is found guilty of an actual crime I won't support him. I respect Mueller even though I call him a slack jawed lackey. I don't want any interference in the investigation of the election and obstruction. I want a completely thorough investigation that leaves no doubt or questions. I want the complete and total truth about every aspect of the investigation and Trump's alleged collusion or obstruction of the witch hunt.
I want all of that too and that's why the Strzok/Page is a concern, if only from a perception standpoint. It's very possible that their political views haven't swayed their actions but I don't want the findings to be tainted by suspicions of political motivations. It's good that they are no longer on the team.

rexlunae

I would be disappointed. I don't want Mueller fired, I want him to do a fair unbiased job.

That's actually a somewhat heartening response.

What we've seen so far has been Trump mildly restrained. He's pushed the law, but seldom actually broken it in a way that can be clearly shown immediately (although there have been some shockingly brazen cases of it). What we get if he manages to fire Mueller is likely to be Trump unchained, unconcerned about whether or not anyone can stop him, using the full power of the federal government without the checks and balances of the Constitution. I'm not sure anyone in America is prepared for how bad that could be.

rexlunae

I don't know if federal money is being wasted doing this, but Mueller wants to vet Trump's tax returns, that is something I like. The investigation will continue without Republican support if such a thing happens. Trump looks like a time bomb to me.

I'm actually even more worried that Mueller's investigation could be defunded than I am that it he could be fire. Mueller is great, but he can be replaced. The funding can't.

Danoh

There is one reason these complaints are getting a hearing: It has become politically inconvenient for the Republicans. Under what other circumstances would it be a huge surprise for a criminal investigation to acquire the emails of their target?

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...eam-defends-obtaining-trump-transition-emails

Who was Trump's infamously well-known mentor back when Trump first ventured out on his own same long corrupt path of his father: Fred?

None other than the infamous sleeze of an attorney: Roy Cohn - Trump's mentor and attorney.

Anyone who thinks Trump's present attorneys are incapable of similar sleeze, is merely fooling himself.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
I would be disappointed. I don't want Mueller fired, I want him to do a fair unbiased job.
Mueller is a registered Republican appointed by a Republican appointee (Rob Rubenstein), so if anyone has a right to be concerned about an unfair, unbiased investigation its the Democrats!