The Real Science Radio Caveman Show

Flipper

I know you don't want your arguments to be pinned down. I get it. No one would want to suffer the same kind of humiliation that you did over on the League of Reason - where after many pages of your typically disingenuous tripe, they backed you into a corner and forced you to commit to some of your statements. So you said you'd get back to them and bailed on the thread. Let's be honest, no one is holding their breath waiting.

On the other hand if you're going to go through someone's post line by line, you have to at least try to post some sort of an argument, otherwise you look like an impotent windbag.

Nothing but straws to grasp at now, have you. :chuckle:

:yawn:

Get back to us when you're prepared with a rational set of points.

That would be an assertion, not a counter-argument. If you actually post an argument supported by evidence, I will attempt to refute it.
Nobody knows more than about a hundredth of 1% of how organisms were designed. It's not surprising that its elements are poorly parsed. Feel free to keep on the subject at hand. That is simple and easy to understand. :thumb:

Assertion, not argument. If you actually post an argument supported by evidence, I will attempt to refute it.

"Kind" is a well defined and useful standard by which to classify organisms.

Assertion, not argument. How, exactly, has the concept of "kind" advanced biology in any way? And if you think the concept of species lacks rigor, how about such baraminological sleights of hand like the "cognitum", when you get to decide where to place something based on how it looks because that's what Adam did when he was naming the animals. How does that have scientific utility, exactly?

"Species" allows evolutionists the latitude to put anything anywhere. And when it comes to people, the classifications are done according to certain politically correct requirements.

Assertion, not argument. If you actually post an argument supported by evidence, I will attempt to refute it.

No evolutionist can rationally justify why neanderthals were a different species while, say, the Mbuti are not.

See, this has the makings of an argument albeit one that is as wrong as it is incomplete, and in fact was already refuted a page ago but maybe you didn't understand how, or it was too much content for you to take in at once. So give this another read, and see if you can answer in Bob's stead.

The publication by Noonan et al. revealed Neanderthal DNA sequences matching chimpanzee DNA, but not modern human DNA, at multiple locations, thus enabling the first accurate calculation of the date of the most recent common ancestor of H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis. The research team estimates the most recent common ancestor of their H. neanderthalensis samples and their H. sapiens reference sequence lived 706,000 years ago (divergence time), estimating the separation of the human and Neanderthal ancestral populations to 370,000 years ago (split time).

Source
If neanderthals are, in fact, modern humans, how is it that they have sequences that match those of chimps instead of modern human DNA (i.e. the DNA shared by every member of Homo sapiens)? Why don't the Mbuti have those sequences? Is a total failure of reading comprehension a symptom of terminal Dunning-Kruger syndrome?

See? Idiocy.

More assertion, no argument. Why do so few of your posts have any substantive content?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know you don't want your arguments to be pinned down.
"Kind" is a well defined and useful standard by which to classify organisms. "Species" allows evolutionists the latitude to put anything anywhere. And when it comes to people, the classifications are done according to certain politically correct requirements.

No evolutionist can rationally justify why neanderthals were a different species while, say, the Mbuti are not.

I get it. No one would want to suffer the same kind of humiliation that you did over on the League of Reason - where after many pages of your typically disingenuous tripe, they backed you into a corner and forced you to commit to some of your statements. So you said you'd get back to them and bailed on the thread. Let's be honest, no one is holding their breath waiting.
Oh, you mean the League of Reason where they banned me till kingdom come for having an opinion they didn't agree with? That league of "reason"? :chuckle:

On the other hand if you're going to go through someone's post line by line, you have to at least try to post some sort of an argument, otherwise you look like an impotent windbag.
"Kind" is a well defined and useful standard by which to classify organisms. "Species" allows evolutionists the latitude to put anything anywhere. And when it comes to people, the classifications are done according to certain politically correct requirements.

That would be an assertion, not a counter-argument. If you actually post an argument supported by evidence, I will attempt to refute it.

What evidence is it that you would like to support the assertion that "Kind" is well defined and "species" is not?

"Kind" is easily defined as being all the organisms descended from a common ancestor population. "Species" is "... one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. While in many cases this definition is adequate, more precise or differing measures are often used, such as similarity of DNA, morphology or ecological niche. Presence of specific locally adapted traits may further subdivide species into "infraspecific taxa" such as subspecies (and in botany other taxa are used, such as varieties, subvarieties, and formae)."
-wiki.​

It's so vague that a bird singing a new song might be speciation. :chuckle:

If neanderthals are, in fact, modern humans, how is it that they have sequences that match those of chimps instead of modern human DNA (i.e. the DNA shared by every member of Homo sapiens)? Why don't the Mbuti have those sequences? Is a total failure of reading comprehension a symptom of terminal Dunning-Kruger syndrome?
Do Mbuti not have sequences that "match those of chimps"?

And if you think I don't post anything of substance, feel free to start a thread asking people to link to my evidence based contributions. :rotfl:

:mock: Flopper.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That doesn't exactly fit the definition of species. If they could still interbreed, they should be the same species. Like bottlenose dolphins and false killer whales (which are actually classified as different genera, despite the facts that not only can they interbreed, they can also produce fertile offspring in the process).

Classifying them as kinds (biologically related organisms descended from a common ancestor or group of ancestors) eliminates this problem.

And yet they are genetically far more different than human and chimps, which probably can't interbreed because of a chromosome fusion in human ancestors. Seems like a rather artificial distinction to me. Even worse, ring species would qualify as a "kind", because they can interbreed, but if one or more of the sub-populations go out of existence, they'd automatically become two "kinds." This seems contrary to the whole idea of "kind."

And, of course, the creationist doctrine is that canids, felids, and so on are "kinds" (necessary to fit all the "kinds" into the Ark), but some of them can't interbreed.

Lots of holes in that idea. By some creationist standards, humans and chimps are one "kind", and by some others, leopard frogs comprise at least two "kinds."

Weird.

Flipper

Again, not actually evidence, just assertion. No wonder you had such difficulty with my thread (I can't help but notice most of the posts in there were by you, and only a slim fraction actually met the criteria of "evidence".

Oh, you mean the League of Reason where they banned me till kingdom come for having an opinion they didn't agree with? That league of "reason"? :chuckle:

Ah yes, I see that. You were banned in the beginning of March, but you bailed on your "why is the earth round" debate in mid-December of the previous year. I think nearly three months should be enough time to come up with an answer, don't you? Lucky for you, you have until August before they let you back; I can't wait to see how you will answer now you've had six months to think about it.

Before you bailed in December, one of the moderators asked you (and not for the first time either) to please try and marshal your arguments, writing:

You're really not being clear, or coherent and it's getting on everyone's nerves. Why not lay out your points and evidence in one post, then let us ask questions based on that? This topic has been a joke so far...

It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, and it's one voiced to you here regularly. I can't help but notice that more than one community thinks you have disingenuous motives, and you use debate to conceal and twist rather than to shed light and understanding. That's two separate groups who think you're a dishonest debater... I dunno maybe the common factor, Stripe, is you. It's not that you're a YEC; OEJ is a YEC, but he doesn't give off the disingenuous vibe that you do.

You failed to explain how it is useful. Again.

You keep cutting and pasting, even though the quote I have provided you twice is exactly that rational justification you say you're looking for. Neanderthals have DNA sequences that are common with chimpanzees, but not shared with H. sapiens. This means that every man alive, be he Comoran Islander, Australian Aborigine, Caucasian Icelander, or Congolese African, all carry the same set of mutations that are part of what marks us as Homo Sapiens. After the last common ancestor we shared with our Neanderthal relatives, humans underwent a series of mutations that changed the genetic heritage of our branch of the family. Neanderthal man did not undergo the same changes to specific sequences, and neither did the chimpanzees. This means that all neanderthals and all chimps share certain ancestral sequences that become mutated in modern humans - sequences all modern humans share. It also means that neanderthals and humans should also have some mutated sequences in common that chimps do not share, as we shared a more recent common ancestor and that's exactly what that paper finds. It's a great example of the genetics of common ancestry.

Sorry that biology in the real world is messier than the neat compartmentalized and unrealistic version you apparently have in your head but it seems that nature is that way. There is more than one way a speciation event can occur, and they all have to start somewhere.

What evidence is it that you would like to support the assertion that "Kind" is well defined and "species" is not?

I don't think that's ever been my request. I have asked you to start making actual arguments instead of unsupported assertions, whether you are advancing your cause or attempting a refutation. I have further requested that you provide evidence to show that the concept of a "kind" is actually a useful category in any way other than it conveniently supports the biblical version of events.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even do that without a lot of unscientific shoe-horning, as seen here:

...The monobaramin is a group of organisms that share continuity, either genetic or phenetic....

Source

And this is a great case in point. The quote I keep using about Neanderthal DNA sharing genes with modern chimps that the entirety of humankind does not share with either should put Neanderthals, humans and chimps in a monobaramin, which makes them all the same kind. And, in fact, there are a number of overwhelming arguments to include humans and chimps in the same kind - there is less genetic distance between a human and a chimp as there is between different members of the felidae genus (aka "cat kind"). And then the water gets even more muddy when baraminologists try to classify the other hominid species (ape or human?).

But uh-oh, humans and chimps as the same "kind"? Obviously we can't have that, so bogus little tricks such as the "cognitum" are invoked, where the final say to assigning a kind when its controversial or unclear is making the call based on your preference, because that's what Adam did when he named the animal - "Doesn't look like a human, so stick it in the monkey-kind" - even though chimps are closer to humans genetically than tigers are to house cats.

Another example of an insurmountable problem from a scientific perspective that is inherent in baraminology can be found in the same creation.com article (italics mine):

To do baraminology then, we evaluate two kinds of evidence: Additive and subtractive... ...Unfortunately, subtractive evidence proves difficult to identify in many cases. Sometimes the creation record in Genesis can provide the strongest subtractive evidence. For example, we know that whales share no ancestry with land mammals (Gen. 1:20–21).

Gen 1:20-21 reads: " So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind."

This is a great example of "because the bible says so" trumping scientific investigation. No need to explain inconvenient similarities in genetics or in physiologies of the fossil record - just use the bible to shut common descent out of the picture. How is that supposed to be a convincing argument, unless you already believe that the bible is the infallible word of God?

These techniques attempt to shoehorn inconvenient physical reality into the biblical account, but they explain less than the current scientific approach, and they can only work by using an ad hoc (and unscientific) approach. They are doomed to fail.

You should read your own link. If you actually bothered to read it, you'd see that there are a large number of caveats around whether this potential speciation will get fixed or not. Nobody claims that the earlier steps in reproductive isolation can't be reversed, and probably many are, just as many potentially advantageous mutations don't get fixed in a population due to simple bad luck. Biological systems are complex, interconnected and messy; you can like it or lump it, but that's just the way it is.

Your objection to the concept of species appears to be based in that fact that the definition is not sufficiently exact. I have pointed out that you can make the same criticism of the term "gene", but creationists tend not to bleat about that for some reason. The reason we use the term species is because it provides some utility in identifying where creatures can try to dismiss the concept of species, but it's used in baraminology, as even a casual look at creationist literature will show... Species-level nomenclature provides a handy way to distinguish between organisms that are closely related, and yet not the same.

Now will you finally share with us the scientific value of kinds? You say it's more useful, but I am completely unaware of any example of the concept being effectively applied in a way that sheds any new light on biology (unlike the current approach to taxonomy). How is the concept of a kind of more utility than the nested hierarchy?

And if you think I don't post anything of substance, feel free to start a thread asking people to link to my evidence based contributions. :rotfl:

You know, your recent debate that you added to your evidence thread might be the first contribution you've made to the thread that actually featured you providing actual evidence for your views, so well done there. It would be churlish to point out that it's been more than a year and a half since I posted that thread; after all, better late than never, that's what I say.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again, not actually evidence, just assertion
What evidence would you like to support this assertion?

Ah yes, I see that. You were banned in the beginning of March, but you bailed on your "why is the earth round" debate in mid-December of the previous year. I think nearly three months should be enough time to come up with an answer, don't you? Lucky for you, you have until August before they let you back; I can't wait to see how you will answer now you've had six months to think about it.Before you bailed in December, one of the moderators asked you (and not for the first time either) to please try and marshal your arguments, writing: It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, and it's one voiced to you here regularly. I can't help but notice that more than one community thinks you have disingenuous motives, and you use debate to conceal and twist rather than to shed light and understanding. That's two separate groups who think you're a dishonest debater... I dunno maybe the common factor, Stripe, is you. It's not that you're a YEC; OEJ is a YEC, but he doesn't give off the disingenuous vibe that you do.
:allsmile:

Let us know when you're ready to talk about something interesting. :up:

You failed to explain how it is useful. Again.
How is the term "species" useful?

You keep cutting and pasting, even though the quote I have provided you twice is exactly that rational justification you say you're looking for. Neanderthals have DNA sequences that are common with chimpanzees, but not shared with H. sapiens. This means that every man alive, be he Comoran Islander, Australian Aborigine, Caucasian Icelander, or Congolese African, all carry the same set of mutations that are part of what marks us as Homo Sapiens. After the last common ancestor we shared with our Neanderthal relatives, humans underwent a series of mutations that changed the genetic heritage of our branch of the family. Neanderthal man did not undergo the same changes to specific sequences, and neither did the chimpanzees. This means that all neanderthals and all chimps share certain ancestral sequences that become mutated in modern humans - sequences all modern humans share. It also means that neanderthals and humans should also have some mutated sequences in common that chimps do not share, as we shared a more recent common ancestor and that's exactly what that paper finds. It's a great example of the genetics of common ancestry.
And yet others say Neanderthal were fully human. :idunno:

Sorry that biology in the real world is messier than the neat compartmentalized and unrealistic version you apparently have in your head but it seems that nature is that way. There is more than one way a speciation event can occur, and they all have to start somewhere.
No, they don't.

I don't think that's ever been my request. I have asked you to start making actual arguments instead of unsupported assertions, whether you are advancing your cause or attempting a refutation.
Kind is a clear cut and rock solid categorisation method. Species is vague and malleable.

The reason we use the term species is because it provides some utility in identifying where creatures...

Now will you finally share with us the scientific value of kinds?
Sure. I'll know something I can safely use with you as soon as you finish your reason why species is useful.

You know, your recent debate that you added to your evidence thread might be the first contribution you've made to the thread that actually featured you providing actual evidence for your views, so well done there. It would be churlish to point out that it's been more than a year and a half since I posted that thread; after all, better late than never, that's what I say.
:rotfl:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here it is again:

"Kind" has a rock solid, clear and simple definition: A "Kind" is all the organisms descended from a common ancestor population.

"Species" has a vague, malleable multiplication of definitions: "... one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. While in many cases this definition is adequate, more precise or differing measures are often used, such as similarity of DNA, morphology or ecological niche. Presence of specific locally adapted traits may further subdivide species into "infraspecific taxa" such as subspecies (and in botany other taxa are used, such as varieties, subvarieties, and formae)."
-wiki.​

Now Flipper clearly doesn't want to concede this obvious truth. So what he does is demand to know what use the definition is or demand that every organism be placed into a kind without debate or disagreement. But the simple fact remains, "Kind" has a clear definition and there is no room for equivocation, "Species" has a vague definition that invites and encourages equivocation.

It's so vague that a bird singing a new song might be speciation. :chuckle:

Then Flipper starts demanding evidence. For what? That "Species" is vague and malleable and "Kind" is not?

Would you like to see it again?

OK. In a box this time:

"Kind" has a rock solid, clear and simple definition: A "Kind" is all the organisms descended from a common ancestor population.

"Species" has a vague, malleable multiplication of definitions: "... one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. While in many cases this definition is adequate, more precise or differing measures are often used, such as similarity of DNA, morphology or ecological niche. Presence of specific locally adapted traits may further subdivide species into "infraspecific taxa" such as subspecies (and in botany other taxa are used, such as varieties, subvarieties, and formae)."
-wiki.​

Frayed Knot

Sounds like you're using the word "kind" to refer to what biologists call a clade.

So humans, dogs, camels, birds, frogs, whales, dinosaurs, and aardvarks are all members of the same "kind" - I guess that would be the quadrupeds.

ETA: or tetrapods.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Sounds great. Give us a testable definition of "kind" and show us how it works with canids.

Easy. There is more variation between humans and Neandertals than there is within either population. There is more variation within the MButi (or any other human population you can name) than there is between the Mbuti and other human populations. They're right, Stipe, you are a moron.

"Kind" has a rock solid, clear and simple definition:

We'll know that, after we see you use it to define what populations are "kinds." Canids first. Then we'll move on.

A "Kind" is all the organisms descended from a common ancestor population.

That would make all living things on Earth, one "kind."

"Species" has a vague, malleable multiplication of definitions:

Which is what you would expect if evolution involved a change in alleles over time in a population. It's another reason scientists accept evolution. It fits the facts.

Stipe, regarding speciation:
It's so vague that a bird singing a new song might be speciation.

Give me one good reason why behavior shouldn't be a factor in determining taxa.

Feel free to ignore the questions, or to dodge them, if this is another one of your "I have math that disproves evolution" stories.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Sounds great. Give us a testable definition of "kind" and show us how it works with canids.

Easy. There is more variation between humans and Neandertals than there is within either population. There is more variation within the MButi (or any other human population you can name) than there is between the Mbuti and other human populations. They're right, Stipe, you are a moron.

"Kind" has a rock solid, clear and simple definition:

We'll know that, after we see you use it to define what populations are "kinds." Canids first. Then we'll move on.

A "Kind" is all the organisms descended from a common ancestor population.

Which is what you would expect if evolution involved a change in alleles over time in a population. It's another reason scientists accept evolution. It fits the facts.

Stipe, regarding specieation:
It's so vague that a bird singing a new song might be speciation.

Feel free to ignore the questions, or to dodge them, if this is another one of your "I have math that disproves evolution" stories.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Give us a testable definition of "kind" and show us how it works with canids.
How about you read what has been written. :rolleyes:

There is more variation between humans and Neandertals than there is within either population.
Is there more variation between great danes and poodles than there is within either population?

Or is this when one of the other definitions that can be used for species kicks in?

you are a moron.
Barbarian's flustered. :chuckle:

It seems you do understand the definition. An atheist is forced to come to this conclusion once he can be tricked into considering it.

So now that you understand the definition, feel free to "move on". :chuckle:

Wake us up when you're done with the platitudes and are willing to talk evidence. :yawn:

I have no problem with using behaviours and a multitude of other factors determining taxa. The issue is that atheists pretend that speciation means evolution. To the evolutionist, everything is evolution.

What you guys need to do is discuss actual evidence rather than defining everything in terms of evolution and then using those definitions as evidence.

:mock: Brabrarian.

Still got nothing, I see. :chuckle:

GuySmiley

Sounds like you're using the word "kind" to refer to what biologists call a clade.

So humans, dogs, camels, birds, frogs, whales, dinosaurs, and aardvarks are all members of the same "kind" - I guess that would be the quadrupeds.

ETA: or tetrapods.
Wouldn't evolutionists consider everything to be in one "kind?"

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

They would. But it takes a while before they can consider the implications of an idea from a creationist. The knee-jerking has to stop first. That takes some time. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You know what would clear this up?
A good old 2nd Chromosome thread;

It would, but I bet that if we ever find out, we'll see that the fusion took place back where chimps diverged from hominins.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Stipe mentions another bit of evidence for evolution)

Barbarian chuckles:

Wake us up when you're done with the platitudes and are willing to talk evidence.

It's the evidence that just made you Cranky, Stipe.

Barbarian suggests:

I have no problem with using behaviours and a multitude of other factors determining taxa. The issue is that atheists pretend that speciation means evolution.

By definition. Evolution is a change in allele frequency over time.

To the evolutionist, everything is evolution.

Odd then, that we've had to repeatedly remind you that evolution isn't about the Big Bang, or abiogenesis, or geology, and (other stuff that bothers Stipe)

What you guys need to do is discuss actual evidence rather than defining everything in terms of evolution and then using those definitions as evidence.

But that's what always gets you worked up, Stipe. Alate_One always elicits a tanrum from you when she cites evidence.

(Stipe is challenged to give a testable definition of "kind", and to show whether or not canids are a single "kind", using the definition)

Barbarian chuckles:

(Stipe dodges the question)

Yep. Another Stipe fantasy. Don't make assertions, if you don't want to be called on them.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
(Stipe mentions another bit of evidence for evolution)Barbarian chuckles:Which is what you would expect if evolution involved a change in alleles over time in a population. It's another reason scientists accept evolution. It fits the facts.It's the evidence that just made you Cranky, Stipe. Barbarian suggests:Give me one good reason why behavior shouldn't be a factor in determining taxa.By definition. Evolution is a change in allele frequency over time. Odd then, that we've had to repeatedly remind you that evolution isn't about the Big Bang, or abiogenesis, or geology, and (other stuff that bothers Stipe)But that's what always gets you worked up, Stipe. Alate_One always elicits a tanrum from you when she cites evidence.(Stipe is challenged to give a testable definition of "kind", and to show whether or not canids are a single "kind", using the definition)Barbarian chuckles:Feel free to ignore the questions, or to dodge them, if this is another one of your "I have math that disproves evolution" stories. (Stipe dodges the question)Yep. Another Stipe fantasy. Don't make assertions, if you don't want to be called on them.
:yawn:

Wake us up when you've learnt to respond honestly.

Frayed Knot

See the linked article on "clade." A clade is a subset of the tree of life, a subset that includes one type of creature and all its descendants. So yes, you can call the entire set of life as a clade, and another clade is just the homo forms, one is the clade of humans, chimpanzees, and bonobos, one clade is the set of all mammals, etc.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Stipe is challenged to give a testable definition of "kind", and to show whether or not canids are a single "kind", using the definition)

Barbarian chuckles:Feel free to ignore the questions, or to dodge them, if this is another one of your "I have math that disproves evolution" stories.

(Stipe dodges the question)

Yep. Another Stipe fantasy. Don't make assertions, if you don't want to be called on them.

Stipe writes:
Wake us up when you've learnt to respond honestly.

It's not a rhetorical question. Show us a testable definition of "kind", and then use it to show us whether or not canids are a "kind."

As I predicted, you dodged it, and retreated with some personal attacks. Pretty much your M.O. for these discussions.