ECT The Proper Use of Strong's Concordance

Danoh

As with any language's multiple meanings for any one word, "The Greek" can easily lend itself to the possible error of picking and choosing which definition might better suit one's assertions.

As a result, that is not how a Word Study Tool like Strong's Concordance is to be applied.

The correct approach is to use it as what its name implies - as a Concordance, and that, in a secondary nature, just behind "the Greek" definitions.

First, you identify the overall context the narrative of any Book of Scripture is about - you identify it first.

And, normally, some passages will identify what that context is.

For example, in Matthew 15:24, after He has ignored a gentile woman's several attempts to have Him heal her daughter, He finally the Lord reminds her that "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Only after she acknowledges that any blessings the Gentiles might receive from God are those which overflow to them from God's direct blessing of Israel, does He grant her, her desired blessing.

Passages like those serve as a marker as to what the overall scope and context of a book are. And this impacts what said book's words actually mean.

Said overall scope and context will often expand over several books. As with Romans thru Philemon, for example, where the overall context is "the Mystery" and the sense of all is impacted by that.

And what I mean by overall context is actually a reference to overall scope, or overall setting; but context has long since been taken to refer to scope so I'll alternate between the two, for my purposes here.

Returning to what I noted about Matthew, as an example - the issue here is that of seeking to identify what is the overall scope/context of Matthew - identify that through passages that do exactly that, and then striving to keep it ever in mind as you study.

This may result in further refining of your overall sense of a book's scope and context, as other passages shed their contributing light as to what said actual overall scope/context is.

While other passages will tend to reinforce a same sense. As, for example - Matthew 10: 5. These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

You then apply the resulting sense of all that to the sense of any word or words, using Strong's Concordance as to where the same word is used elsewhere in the narrative - words that "concord," thus Strong's title.

You look up a word in Strong's. Note its number, and then look for other words that "concord" or agree with your subject word as to the same Strong's number.

You then go to the Word and actually read all those passages, just looking at how they each use your subject word.

Once you have that out of the way, then you go to the Greek definitions.

And nine times out of ten, you find that of the multiple senses of a given word that Strong found through this very means towards his Concordance's Dictionary at the back of his Concordance, the above process has already given you the proper one.

You find you are no longer at the mercy of picking and choosing, and or guessing at which is the proper "Greek" sense.

You also find that are you forced to reckon with the sense all the above gave you - you find that you just can't pick and choose what ever meaning your tradition and or your own notions tempts you to want to pick and choose one definition over another towards.

1] overall scope of a Book through key passages that declare it,

2] words [the same Greek word via Strong's same number] that concord with the word or phrase you are attempting to arrive at the intended sense of,

3] reading of each word's passages for how your subject word is used in them,

4] intended sense of your word through that, as well as,

5] in light of the overall scope and context in which your subject passage is found, and then,

6] dictionary look up.

Along the way, you find you much more as a result, because this process keeps you searching things out in the Word Itself.

As a result, you run across all kinds of nuggets that later studies bring to mind as you need them.

And what this is - is "...the word of God that effectually worketh in you that believe" as you go about "comparing [pairing together] spiritual things with spiritual," 1 Thess. 2:13; 1 Cor. 2:13.

Interplanner

You should only use Strong's when you already know Greek but can't find a particular instance or need to work from a particular word to its reference. No language should be read the way Strong's has the person approach it. It completely shreds the material.

You need to be really good at grammatical diagramming and then start 'hanging' sentences on a diagram. This is easier to do in Greek in that the spelling changes for each case.

For most non-career Bible students, to be really good at diagramming an English version would be better than picking at this and that in Strong's.

Next, find good conservative commentaries, like Zondervan's or NICNT.

Danoh

You should only use Strong's when you already know Greek but can't find a particular instance or need to work from a particular word to its reference. No language should be read the way Strong's has the person approach it. It completely shreds the material.

You need to be really good at grammatical diagramming and then start 'hanging' sentences on a diagram. This is easier to do in Greek in that the spelling changes for each case.

For most non-career Bible students, to be really good at diagramming an English version would be better than picking at this and that in Strong's.

Next, find good conservative commentaries, like Zondervan's or NICNT.

We will have to differ on this as to a first approach.

My own being Basic Elementary School Reading 101 - the intended sense of words is arrived at by where they are found, and how they are used, within said scope and context.

This may account for why I subscribe to the Mid-Acts Dispensational Hermeneutic you strongly reject in favor of your Partial Preterist one, and visa-versa.

Applying my above approach, I leave my Mid-Acts at the door, so to speak. Only to find it still intact after I have engaged all the above.

Yours, on the other hand, is reliance upon all those external sources going in, rather than after applying the above simple process.

There is a huge difference I result.

Heck, I apply what I am here asserting even when I read books supposedly about and or based on Scripture.

I did that with Stam's books when I first read them. Did that with Bullinger's excellent book on how to study the Bible:

http://www.markfoster.net/rn/how_to_enjoy_the_bible_bullinger.pdf

And I found holes in some of his arguments. Holes which; when I compared said holes with the Bible study principles he lays out in his book, I found he had violated.

Likewise with Arthur's/Arthur's/Lacy's much simpler book How to Study Your Bible:

http://store.precept.org/user_uploaded/documents/9780736953436_exc.pdf

But for its Application principle, my above caveat, and one more issue, their book is a great primer in how to use Strong's, and other tools.

The one more issue being that Stam's book's principles [Vertical in contrast to Horizontal Truth] would go a long way in helping to figure out how to properly make use of their Application principle:

http://www.bijbel.nl/_files/StamI13.pdf

I say all that from having simply applied the steps in my OP.

As a result, where books are concerned, I tend to prefer books - and an approach - the emphasis of which is principles - how identify how things work - over those that teach what to think.

Process over content - thus; my OP - all process - how to explore a thing.

When you approach a thing from that, you find you can learn from anyone - you find those moments where a stopped clock - off 98% of a day - is right twice a day.

Not because "well, this makes sense to me," but because you have examined why it appears to or not - and that, from objective principles."

You have learned how to challenge your own sense of "makes sense to me."

A basic, what, 2nd Grade Elementary School Math principle "now run your math backwards; see if it still holds."

Cross Reference

As with any language's multiple meanings for any one word, "The Greek" can easily lend itself to the possible error of picking and choosing which definition might better suit one's assertions.

As a result, that is not how a Word Study Tool like Strong's Concordance is to be applied.

The correct approach is to use it as what its name implies - as a Concordance, and that, in a secondary nature, just behind "the Greek" definitions.

First, you identify the overall context the narrative of any Book of Scripture is about - you identify it first.

And, normally, some passages will identify what that context is.

For example, in Matthew 15:24, after He has ignored a gentile woman's several attempts to have Him heal her daughter, He finally the Lord reminds her that "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Only after she acknowledges that any blessings the Gentiles might receive from God are those which overflow to them from God's direct blessing of Israel, does He grant her, her desired blessing.

Nonsense! You are adding to things that aren't there to even conjecture. God looks upon the heart. He saw what He needed to see in her and the Roman centurion as a lesson to Israel i.e., faith. Was the woman Jesus healed who had the issue of blood for twelve years, a Jew or Gentile?

Danoh

Nonsense! You are adding to things that aren't there to even conjecture. God looks upon the heart. He saw what He needed to see in her and the Roman centurion as a lesson to Israel i.e., faith. Was the woman Jesus healed who had the issue of blood for twelve years, a Jew or Gentile?

Luke 13:

10. And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
11. And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.
12. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.
13. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
14. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in
them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
15. The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his *** from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
16. And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
17. And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

Likewise, the woman in Matthew 9:

20. And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:
21. For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.
22. But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

No hesitation in such instances.

Compare that to the woman in Matthew 15, that Mark 7 also relates:

26. The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.
27. But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
28. And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.
29. And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter.

The Romans Centurion - why was he blessed? Luke 7:

2. And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
3. And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.
4. And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this:
5. For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.

That is straight out of Genesis 12:

1. Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

But, "have it your way" Bur-gler King, rob Israel of theirs...

Interplanner

On the crumbs thing, you missed that she had more faith than those in Israel, as did the lepers in one healing. One centurion was rewarded for having faith that God can command his angels to do this or that task or healing; not that the person built a synagogue.

Aren't you dialed in to faith? Like the olive tree analogy of Rom 11? It is only faith that makes a tree stand.

What are you dialed into? Your mid-passage theology? Do you just read mid-passages? Is that why you didn't notice that the woman had faith that he had not found in Israel?

What about Zaccheaus? The day he was honest was the day he became a son of Abraham. What was he the day before?

Danoh

On the crumbs thing, you missed that she had more faith than those in Israel, as did the lepers in one healing. One centurion was rewarded for having faith that God can command his angels to do this or that task or healing; not that the person built a synagogue.

Aren't you dialed in to faith? Like the olive tree analogy of Rom 11? It is only faith that makes a tree stand.

What are you dialed into? Your mid-passage theology? Do you just read mid-passages? Is that why you didn't notice that the woman had faith that he had not found in Israel?

What about Zaccheaus? The day he was honest was the day he became a son of Abraham. What was he the day before?

Not at, all. Those individuals were exercising faith.

And you are off on Zaccheaus - that's just you reading your "spiritual Jew" into things.

Luke 19:

1. And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
2. And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
3. And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
4. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
5. And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
6. And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
7. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
8. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
9. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
10. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
11. And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

Matthew 10:

1. And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
2. Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
3. Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
4. Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.
5. These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
7. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Danoh

"That one leper" of yours, Interplanner...

Mark 1:

39. And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.
40. And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
41. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
42. And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed.
43. And he straitly charged him, and forthwith sent him away;
44. And saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto
them.

That is Leviticus 14's Law of the Leper - which is the issue of an Israelite who contracts a case of leprosy; the healing of same, the appearing before Priest, the Priest performing the required animal sacrifices, the guy then being water baptized, pronounced clean, before the nation.

As always, the answers are "in the volume of the Book!"

Always.

Interplanner

You missed the whole point.

You have to find the examples of 'not found in Israel'.

Sorry, but you're even missing your own point as we go from one post to another.

Hints: there may be more than one bleeding woman, one centurion, one leper and one Samaritan, OK?

Word based mystic

your whole theme and focus is to sneak in the idea that the jews are special and any blessings that come to gentiles or non genetic jews come as table slop and left over trash.

God looks at the heart and is no respecter of persons.

His plan for all His created children is relationship in a deep abiding intimacy accessed and made possible through Jesus Christ.
Faith responds to His first loving us. Thus allowing us to love him and others properly.

you took a few scriptures developed a pet doctrine and ignored the main themes from genesis to revelation. Thus breaking your own rules.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Danoh...your post is too long, others get warnings you should, you don't have write such a long post.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

1. Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

But, "have it your way" Bur-gler King, rob Israel of theirs...

Every believer worth his salt came by his belief in Christ the same way Abraham did, by abandoning his life to God.

Danoh

your whole theme and focus is to sneak in the idea that the jews are special and any blessings that come to gentiles or non genetic jews come as table slop and left over trash.

God looks at the heart and is no respecter of persons.

His plan for all His created children is relationship in a deep abiding intimacy accessed and made possible through Jesus Christ.
Faith responds to His first loving us. Thus allowing us to love him and others properly.

you took a few scriptures developed a pet doctrine and ignored the main themes from genesis to revelation. Thus breaking your own rules.

You haven't a clue what I wrote, hence your false conclusion I was making Jews special.

You know you have not read Genesis thru Revelation. Had you, you would a better basis of information to go on when considering what I wrote that you twisted.

Read Scripture 90 minutes a day and you get through the entire Bible three times in one year. Try that for 5-10 years, then you might have something to say.

Danoh

You missed the whole point.

You have to find the examples of 'not found in Israel'.

Sorry, but you're even missing your own point as we go from one post to another.

Hints: there may be more than one bleeding woman, one centurion, one leper and one Samaritan, OK?

The hint you miss is that His dealings with people in Matthew thru John is based on passages like Matthew 15:24.

Whether there was one of bleeding women, centurion, and leper, or a bus load of each.

As for the Samaritan woman; so much for your expertise in history - her people were part of the "other sheep... not of this [house of Israel] fold" - Compare John 10:16 with, Ezekiel 37: 22, Ezekiel 37: 24; and Acts 1:8.

Lol, why do you think she mentioned Jacob being her people's father - John 4:12?

You are attempting to fit things into your bias.

Problem is the many passages like the above; all of which fall under the perspective the all encompassing umbrella that passages like Matthew 15:24 and Mark 7:27 represent.

This, due to your failure to note that Israel had not yet reached the height of its rejection of Him; let alone of its rejection of the Spirit's continuance of His ministry, to Israel, after the Lord prayed the Father forgive them, Mr. Acts 13:46 "expert."

Interplanner

re Mt 15:24: the upshot is her faith as a dog gets rewarded. This is one of those places where the too-literal mind really loses it.

Jn 10:16 was about the nations.

That Samaritan woman, again, was not one of the people who Jesus commended for their faith exceeding Israel. She mentioned Jacob for the same reason the Law obsessed Jews did--the belief that everything hinged on ancestry. Ever read Jn 1:13?

Amazing how much homework you will do but not find the passages I was refering to:
Mt 8:10. A centurion about understanding authority. And watch out for v11+.
Lk 7:9. " "

Similar: Lk 7:36+ A sinful woman contrasted with Israel's leaders.

Lk 17:16+. Only a foreigner returns to express thanks.

I am very aware of Israel's level of rejection. Try Luke 13:34 not hardly half through the story. You're a despising person, but I fail to see what you are saying.