The Plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonomy

godrulz said:
John Walvoord is a credible, credentialed scholar. Just because you disagree with his views does not mean that he lacks academic credibility. Have you read his commentaries on Daniel and Revelation cover to cover?
:chuckle: :chuckle:

I confess to being intentionally evil. I just threw Walvoord's name in there to get a reaction. I know, his work was scholarly in at least one sense, and I agree, it was regarded as credible, at least at the time it was published, in his own theological circles.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Theonomy-
Jefferson was betting that it had more references than any other, not more than all others combined.:rolleyes:

Theonomy

Lighthouse.... you seriously think I misunderstood THAT? I know that's what he meant. Talk about ironic claims of misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In either case, he doesn't have to read the books, all he has to do is look in their glossaries.:Shimei:

Theonomy

How would a glossary be helpful? All it does it provide the definitions of unusual words.

A scripture index would be a better guide. But even then, the only sure way is to go through and add them all up. But to make matters simple, I'll let him use the Scripture indexes. All he has to do is obtain each and every scholarly Christian book ever written with a scripture index, and count the references in the Scripture index.

Of course, if he's going to use the Scripture index, he will need to reduce his estimate of Scripture references in the Plot, since some of them will be the same verse/passage mentioned more than once in the book, and it would only get one entry in the index.

In short, he has many years of work ahead of him to win this bet that he made.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theonomy said:
Of course, if he's going to use the Scripture index, he will need to reduce his estimate of Scripture references in the Plot, since some of them will be the same verse/passage mentioned more than once in the book, and it would only get one entry in the index.
I've got some bad news for you Theonomy. The 3850 references in The Plot are after the duplicates had been subtracted. It just keeps getting worse and worse, doesn't it?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theonomy said:
My own? :chuckle:

I haven't read Tools of Dominion.

But just as soon as you've counted the Scripture references in every work of Christian scholarship and then counted those in the plot, we'll settle this bet challenge of yours. :readthis:
Okay, I've just finished counting every scripture reference in every Christian book ever published. Pretty fast aren't I? Gary North's "Tools of Dominion" came in second with a total of 1134. The Plot wins. :cool:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theonomy said:
Bob Enyart is not a scholar of any sort.
Guess what Theonomy? Bob Enyart debated a scholar on this forum. He debated Dr. Samuel Lamerson, professor of the New Testament at D. James Kennedy's Knox Theological Seminary. You can read the debate HERE. Let us all know how easily you think the scholar handled the simple pastor.

Toast

Jefferson said:
Guess what Theonomy? Bob Enyart debated a scholar on this forum. He debated Dr. Samuel Lamerson, professor of the New Testament at D. James Kennedy's Knox Theological Seminary. You can read the debate HERE. Let us all know how easily you think the scholar handled the simple pastor.

As Bob likes to point out, Bob's the one who's selling the debate. :)

Last edited:

PKevman

Not only that but 77.5% of people who read the debate with Dr. Lamerson voted Bob as the winner of the debate.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
PastorKevin said:
Not only that but 77.5% of people who read the debate with Dr. Lamerson voted Bob as the winner of the debate.
I'm not saying Bob lost (I'm not saying either way), but that stat doesn't necessarily mean very much by itself.....

Theonomy

Jefferson said:
Although I was explicit in my denial of such, it seems some people are intent on taking me to have meant that Enyart is stupid or wrong. One more time, that is not what I meant, and I clearly denied meaning this. I was talking about his style and approach.

I hope that in spite of my recent - although explicit - unsuccessful attempts to get this across, I have now been successful.

I would hasten to add, in addition to and not dependent on or necessary for this point, that an internet debate isn't the best way to measure such things (referring more to Enyart's opponent).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I'm not saying Bob lost (I'm not saying either way), but that stat doesn't necessarily mean very much by itself.....

Most of the voters are probably Enyart/TOL fans, not Calvinists. It was a biased poll.

I do think Enyart won the debate.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Gary North's "Tools of Dominion" came in second with a total of 1134. The Plot wins. :cool
1134 displayed on an inverted calculator says 'HELL'

lightninboy

These lists are subject to editing by lightninboy. If you have more data, tell him.

Theology OnLine members against MAD:
lightninboy
elected4ever
Jerry Shugart
Trent
godrulz
Mr. 5020
thelaqachisnext
Berean Todd
themuzicman
Sozo
elohiym
Nimrod
1PeaceMaker
BChristianK
amosman
lowerlevel
Jackson
Morpheus
Nomad
kmoney
Daniel50
csmuda
Chileice
Freak
billwald
Theonomy

Theology OnLine members for MAD:
Jefferson
ApologeticJedi
Knight
Turbo
Lighthouse
patman
Clete
Delmar
Bob Hill
Bob Enyart
*Acts9_12Out*
drbrumley
Hilston
PastorKevin
God_Is_Truth
syntientsynth
MrsDearDelmar
ddevonb
Lucky
Letsargue
Crow
the Sibbie
Cyrus of Persia
Dread Helm
truthteller86
Joe Roberts
Adambassador
Toast
Vaquero45
Stipe
Brother
Frank Ernest
Sharri
webmaster
GuySmiley
Becky
Poly

lightninboy

Who believes in Mid-Acts Dispensationalism enough to debate it on The Wonderful Dispensation of Grace and go down with the ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.