The hostile takeover of the Republican party will continue

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Thousands of Christians opposed slavery from the beginning and many Christians hazarded their lives and property by aiding slaves to escape before the war and by fighting on the side of the North to free slaves during the war.
Also true. Of course many Christians owned slaves and many Christians were slaves, so Christian isn't really the operating principle.

Skeeter

Banned
Thousands of Christians opposed slavery from the beginning and many Christians hazarded their lives and property by aiding slaves to escape before the war and by fighting on the side of the North to free slaves during the war.
And In the 1800s many, perhaps the majority of Xtians, used the Bible to support the institution of slavery as righteous.

marke

Also true. Of course many Christians owned slaves and many Christians were slaves, so Christian isn't really the operating principle.
I believe God-honoring Christians fought against the institution of slavery from the beginning. Not so for carnal Christians.

marke

And In the 1800s many, perhaps the majority of Xtians, used the Bible to support the institution of slavery as righteous.
In the 1800s the republican party was formed in part to resist the institution of slavery and that was largely because of the influence of Christians opposed to slavery.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
In the 1800s the republican party was formed in part to resist the institution of slavery and that was largely because of the influence of Christians opposed to slavery.
Many in the North opposed slavery and some of them opposed slavery on biblical grounds, but there were also diverse reasons for opposition to slavery that had nothing to do with biblical or religious beliefs. For example, some Northerners opposed slavery because they were so racist that they didn't want black people in the country even as slaves, and they wanted them all shipped back to Africa or elsewhere.

In the South, many supported slavery on biblical grounds.

marke

Many in the North opposed slavery and some of them opposed slavery on biblical grounds, but there were also diverse reasons for opposition to slavery that had nothing to do with biblical or religious beliefs. For example, some Northerners opposed slavery because they were so racist that they didn't want black people in the country even as slaves, and they wanted them all shipped back to Africa or elsewhere.

In the South, many supported slavery on biblical grounds.
Christians who believed God created all men equally and believed all men should be treated with equal love and respect never supported the institution of slavery in the US.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Christians who believed God created all men equally and believed all men should be treated with equal love and respect never supported the institution of slavery in the US.
Then you're saying the early settlers and founders of the country who held slaves weren't Christians?

Idolater

Yes, the issue was who exactly does "all men" mean? Does it mean Black men? What about Black women? Unfortunately Thomas Jefferson didn't think much of Black men and Black women, in spite of all his glowing rhetoric. It's a good thing Jefferson wasn't our only founder, otherwise we'd have a hard time justifying America the idea, to anybody today.

marke

Then you're saying the early settlers and founders of the country who held slaves weren't Christians?
The Bible talks about religious people who please God and religious people who displease God. All the religious people I have in view called themselves Christians and I will let God judge whether they were or not and whether He approved of how they dealt with the slavery issue.

marke

Yes, the issue was who exactly does "all men" mean? Does it mean Black men? What about Black women? Unfortunately Thomas Jefferson didn't think much of Black men and Black women, in spite of all his glowing rhetoric. It's a good thing Jefferson wasn't our only founder, otherwise we'd have a hard time justifying America the idea, to anybody today.
Jefferson was a bad man by all evidence.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The Bible talks about religious people who please God and religious people who displease God. All the religious people I have in view called themselves Christians and I will let God judge whether they were or not and whether He approved of how they dealt with the slavery issue.
So, you're saying that you are willing to give slave owners a pass?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Like I said, he wasn't alone, and really it was primarily Hamilton and to a lesser extent Madison, if you read the Federalist papers.
I was mistaken. Thomas Jefferson was the principal drafter of the Declaration and James Madison of the Bill of Rights; Madison, along with Gouverneur Morris and James Wilson, was also one of the principal architects of the Constitution.

Idolater

I was mistaken. Thomas Jefferson was the principal drafter of the Declaration and James Madison of the Bill of Rights; Madison, along with Gouverneur Morris and James Wilson, was also one of the principal architects of the Constitution.
Hamilton was one of the most logical and persuasive writers I've ever read.

marke

So, you're saying that you are willing to give slave owners a pass?
Someone reported that 75% of all the humans who ever lived throughout history had been enslaved at some point. Wikipedia offers a much lower number, but still high, particularly in Africa.

In Senegambia, between 1300 and 1900, close to one-third of the population was enslaved. In early Islamic states of the Western Sudan, including Ghana (750–1076), Mali (1235–1645), Segou (1712–1861), and Songhai (1275–1591), about a third of the population was enslaved. The earliest Akan state of Bonoman which had third of its population being enslaved in the 17th century. In Sierra Leone in the 19th century about half of the population consisted of enslaved people. In the 19th century at least half the population was enslaved among the Duala of the Cameroon, the Igbo and other peoples of the lower Niger, the Kongo, and the Kasanje kingdom and Chokwe of Angola. Among the Ashanti and Yoruba a third of the population consisted of enslaved people as well as Bono.[22] The population of the Kanem was about one third enslaved. It was perhaps 40% in Bornu (1396–1893). Between 1750 and 1900 from one- to two-thirds of the entire population of the Fulani jihad states consisted of enslaved people. The population of the Sokoto caliphate formed by Hausas in northern Nigeria and Cameroon was half-slave in the 19th century. It is estimated that up to 90% of the population of Arab-Swahili Zanzibar was enslaved. Roughly half the population of Madagascar was enslaved.[23][24][page needed][25][26][27]

God allowed some humans to go into slavery rather than starve. I don't disagree with God, but I do believe slavery in America was not practiced in the interest of delivering poor people from death by starvation but was more commonly a means to take unfair and unjust advantage of others for purely selfish and greedy reasons. I do not believe God condoned such types of slavery.

Last edited: