The Holy Spirit and Salvation !

beloved57

Amen! The Holy Spirit's Work in the Elect Children of God Eph. 1:4-5 is exactly the same for OT saints as is NT saints.

They are all given New Birth, drawn by the Father, taught by the Holy Spirit and receive His Fruit including Faith Gal. 5:22. And they receive the Blessing of Abraham Gal. 3:14 as do all God's Children of Promise Rom. 9:8.

Gal. 4:4-6
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Rom. 8:14-16
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Amen Sister!

beloved57

The Spirit comes to save in answer to the work of Christ !

Remember when Jesus said to His disciples Jn 16:7

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The Comforter is the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit whom Christ will send to His redeemed ones. He comes to save them from the power of sin as it relates to the saving, redeeming death of Christ. Yes theres a Saving Work the Sprit must do in answer to Christ's Saving Death. Paul describes this saving work of the Comforter here Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercyhe saved us,[how?] by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The renewing of the Holy of the Holy Ghost is part of the saving work Christ's death provides, its evidence Hes become our Saviour, Titus 3:6

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

The word through here is the preposition dia which means:

the ground or reason by which something is or is not done
  1. by reason of
  2. on account of
  3. because of for this reason
  4. therefore
  5. on this account

It also means for the sake of !

The Holy Spirit saving work of renewal is upon sinners Christ is the Saviour of, those He died for, having put away their sins and they being Justified. This Work of saving renewal is for the sake of Christ, on account of Christ, a result of His going away spoken of in Jn 16:7

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The word depart means, if I depart from this life, if I die, I will send Him the Spirit to you, meaning His Church !

beloved57

The Spirits Saving Work of renewal Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Is necessary in order for the words of the Angel to be absolutely true to form, which are these Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

This promise to save His People from their sins denotes saving them also from the power of sin, which is the work of the Spirit inwardly. Its an inward spiritual renewal that is needed to be set free from the power of sin and unbelief !

In other words, if Christ doesn't through the Power of the Holy Spirit save one for whom He died from the Power of Sin and unbelief from a Saving work of the Sprit, then His Saving Mission failed, the Angel lied. One cant be saved from their sins and then die in unbelief, that's an contradiction !

Nanja

The Spirits Saving Work of renewal Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Is necessary in order for the words of the Angel to be absolutely true to form, which are these Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

This promise to save His People from their sins denotes saving them also from the power of sin, which is the work of the Spirit inwardly. Its an inward spiritual renewal that is needed to be set free from the power of sin and unbelief !

In other words, if Christ doesn't through the Power of the Holy Spirit save one for whom He died from the Power of Sin and unbelief from a Saving work of the Sprit, then His Saving Mission failed, the Angel lied. One cant be saved from their sins and then die in unbelief, that's an contradiction !

Amen to posts #182 and #183!

The Holy Spirit shall regenerate and renew [Gr. anakainōsis: a complete change for the better] all God's Elect, Christ's Sheep He was Surety for in the Everlasting Covenant of Grace John 10:11,15; Heb. 13:20. And it's a Covenant Promise that all the Sheep shall know Him John 10:14; Heb. 8:10-11.

Consequently their sanctification of the Spirit is a guarantee that they shall never die in sin and unbelief, but they shall all be renewed and brought to belief of the Truth.

2 Thes. 2:13-14
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

beloved57

nanja

Consequently their sanctification of the Spirit is a guarantee that they shall never die in sin and unbelief, but they shall all be renewed and brought to belief of the Truth.

Exactly !

beloved57

A Life Giving Spirit !

1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam[Jesus Christ] was made a quickening spirit.

The word quickening here is the greek word zōopoieō and means:

1. to produce alive, begat or bear living young
  2. to cause to live, make alive, give life
  3. by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate
  4. to restore to life
  5. to give increase of life: thus of physical life
  6. of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life
  7. metaph., of seeds quickened into life, i.e. germinating, springing up, growing

And so its translated He, Christ is made a Life giving Spirt. See He gives Spiritual Life to every sinner He put their sins away.

He came to give Life to His World Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

No not all without exception like false teachers say, but the world of His Elect, His Church, or of His Sheep. Remember when Jesus said this Jn 10:10

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they[Sheep] might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

That's the Life John writes of in Jn 6:33 also the world, the world of the Sheep, to that World Christ is a Life Giving Spirit because their sins have been put away ! The Comforter will come to them with Life and Comfort !

Nanja

beloved57

He came to give Life to His World Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

No not all without exception like false teachers say, but the world of His Elect, His Church, or of His Sheep. Remember when Jesus said this Jn 10:10

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they[Sheep] might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

That's the Life John writes of in Jn 6:33 also the world, the world of the Sheep, to that World Christ is a Life Giving Spirit because their sins have been put away ! The Comforter will come to them with Life and Comfort !

Amen Brother, Life and Comfort indeed!

The Spirit of Christ is made a Life Giving Spirit for all His Elect or Sheep He redeemed by His Death John 10:11,15, His Church Eph. 5:25, a Covenant Blessing Ezek. 36:27 of New Birth as a result of them being Chosen in Him from Everlasting to the Adoption of Sons Eph. 1:4-5. So then as a consequence every one of them shall receive the Spirit of Adoption in their lifetime.

Rom. 8:14-16
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

Gal. 4:6
And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

beloved57

The Holy Spirit reveals Salvation to Gods Elect !

Jesus indicates as much here Jn 16:13-15

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

This isnt just a promise to Christ's disciples, but to His Church, His Body He was about to give Himself for Eph 5:25-26,

The Spirit is given to all the redeemed in order that they may come to know the things freely given to them as Gifts of Redemption so Paul writes 1 Cor 2:7-12

7 But we speak the wisdom of God [The Gospel of Christ 1 Cor 1:24] in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

The Spirit is given to the redeemed one in order to give them a experimental knowledge of Salvation, things freely given them of God, which things accompany the giving of Christ for them as Per Rom 8:32

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

And so the Spirit is given along with Christ in order to show, reveal to the hearts and minds, conscience of the redeemed those things freely given to them with Christ !

One such thing freely given is forgiveness , pardon. The greek word for freely given in 1 Cor 2:12 is charizomai and primarily means :

properly, to extend favor ("grace"), freely give favor to grant forgiveness (pardon).

xarízomai ("favor that cancels") is used of God giving His grace to pardon. This is freely done and therefore not based on any merit of the one receiving forgiveness.
[5483 (xarízomai) literally means, "to exercise grace, freely show favor," i.e. willingly ("graciously") bestow.]

All for whom Christ was given, God graciously bestows upon them in His court of Law and Justice forgiveness of sins according to the richs of His Grace Eph 1:7

In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Now this be one of things the Spirit is given for, to make their forgiveness known unto them !

Nanja

And it should be understood that forgiveness or remission of sins is Salvation !Lk 1:77

77 [FONT=&]To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,[/FONT]

Precisely! Once the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Promise Gal. 3:14, is given to an Elect Child of God Eph. 1:4-7, Christ's Church He gave His Life for Eph. 5:25-26, they are given Faith / Trust in New Birth Gal. 5:22 and Spiritual Ears to Hear His Words Prov. 20:12, and it's then revealed to them of their Sonship in Christ, and that they have forgiveness / remission of sins through His Death for them 1 Cor. 1:30. And the Holy Spirit gives them knowledge of it through the Gospel:

Eph. 1:13
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise

Rom. 8:33
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth [declared righteous].

Rom. 8:15-16
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

beloved57

Precisely! Once the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Promise Gal. 3:14, is given to an Elect Child of God Eph. 1:4-7, Christ's Church He gave His Life for Eph. 5:25-26, they are given Faith / Trust in New Birth Gal. 5:22 and Spiritual Ears to Hear His Words Prov. 20:12, and it's then revealed to them of their Sonship in Christ, and that they have forgiveness / remission of sins through His Death for them 1 Cor. 1:30. And the Holy Spirit gives them knowledge of it through the Gospel:

Eph. 1:13
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise

Rom. 8:33
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth [declared righteous].

Rom. 8:15-16
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God
Very Good!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

Nanja

Eph 4:30

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

One of the main purposes of a seal is to mark ownership, legal right of possession; proprietorship.

Now this is in line with the Truth of Redemption, for in Redemption all for whom Christ died have been purchased with a price, and are His purchased possession, and so by that He sends the Seal of the New Birth, Heart Circumcision, because without the Spirit, there is no evidence that we are His own possession Rom 8:9

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

He did not purchase you by His Blood !

2 Cor 1:22

22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Listen, If Christ died and redeemed us, then to prove that He did, to confirm our being purchased, He seals us with His Spirit in our Hearts by New Birth, for the Redeemed have the Spirit sent into their Hearts Gal 4:4-6

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

That word redeem in Vs 5 the greek word exagorazō means to:

II.to buy up, to buy up for one's self, for one's use

Paul writes in 1 Cor 6:20

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

That price is not our believing, our repentance, or anything we did, but it was the Precious blood of Christ, AND THATS IT !

That alone made everyone He died for His Purchased Possession, and that entitled them to be sealed by the Spirit as a mark of His Owner Ship redemptively by His Blood !

The Only way a man or women does not receive this Sealing of the Spirit is because they were none of His Rom 8:9

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Because the Spirit is proof of ownership !

Amen Brother!

Contrary to what false religion teaches, there are no conditions the carnal man can meet, i.e.: his own receiving, believing/ faith/ trusting, repentance or obedience to get himself sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise, but it's received passively in all whom God gives New Birth John 3:27.

Therefore, it's only God's adopted Children who were Chosen in union with Christ to be Redeemed by His Blood Eph. 1:4-7, which receive the Spirit of Adoption.

Rom. 8:15-17
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

beloved57

Amen Brother!

Contrary to what false religion teaches, there are no conditions the carnal man can meet, i.e.: his own receiving, believing/ faith/ trusting, repentance or obedience to get himself sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise, but it's received passively in all whom God gives New Birth John 3:27.

Therefore, it's only God's adopted Children who were Chosen in union with Christ to be Redeemed by His Blood Eph. 1:4-7, which receive the Spirit of Adoption.

Rom. 8:15-17
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
Amen Sister. I'm glad you quoted that post, I have forgotten about it, but at the time it was a Blessing posting it.

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

beloved57

The expedient work of the Comforter or Holy Spirit !

John 16:7

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Even though Christ here is speaking directly to His disciples, its still His Church, His Body Hes referring to, for they are only members of His Body 1 Cor 12:27-28

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Now it was expedient that Christ go away [ to be glorified] in order that He would send the Spirit, Counselor back to His Body the Church. Remember when Christ was Glorified after His Death and Ascension , He received of the Father the Holy Spirit Acts 2:32-33

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. See Eph 4:8;Ps 68:18

Now the Work of the Spirit in the sphere of Salvation accomplished by Christ for His People is to apply Salvation to each member of the Body/Church of Christ in due season. This begins with giving them new birth, or spiritual life, or being born again, to effect their spiritual conversion !

Nanja

The expedient work of the Comforter or Holy Spirit !

John 16:7

Even though Christ here is speaking directly to His disciples, its still His Church, His Body Hes referring to, for they are only members of His Body 1 Cor 12:27-28

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Now it was expedient that Christ go away [ to be glorified] in order that He would send the Spirit, Counselor back to His Body the Church. Remember when Christ was Glorified after His Death and Ascension , He received of the Father the Holy Spirit Acts 2:32-33

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. See Eph 4:8;Ps 68:18

Now the Work of the Spirit in the sphere of Salvation accomplished by Christ for His People is to apply Salvation to each member of the Body/Church of Christ in due season. This begins with giving them new birth, or spiritual life, or being born again, to effect their spiritual conversion !

Perfectly stated Brother!

The Body / Church Christ died for consists of the Adopted Children / Sons of God Chosen in Christ before the foundation Eph. 1:4-5. So they were His Adopted Sons before they received the Spirit of Christ, and that's why God sends the Spirit of His Son into their hearts as a confirmation of what Christ has accomplished on their behalf, and of the Promise of their Eternal Inheritance Heb. 9:15; Eph. 1:11 as God's Children Gal. 4:4-6:

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

1 John 3:1-3
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us John 3:16 that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

beloved57

The Spirit in Salvation, its imperative, for Just as the Head was quickened by the Spirit after having died for the sins of His People 1 Pet 3:18

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death[for their sins] in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

This quickened by the Spirit refers to Christs resurrection, and again Hes the Head of His Body,

So it shall be that every member of His Body shall likewise be quickened by the Spirit Jn 6:63

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

As the Spirit gave life to the Head, its a sure thing, He will give life to all the members of His Body. Christ the Head, by virtue of the His Spirit, shall give life or quicken all His members 1 Cor 15:45

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Nanja

The Spirit in Salvation, its imperative, for Just as the Head was quickened by the Spirit after having died for the sins of His People 1 Pet 3:18

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death[for their sins] in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

This quickened by the Spirit refers to Christs resurrection, and again Hes the Head of His Body,

So it shall be that every member of His Body shall likewise be quickened by the Spirit Jn 6:63

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

As the Spirit gave life to the Head, its a sure thing, He will give life to all the members of His Body. Christ the Head, by virtue of the His Spirit, shall give life or quicken all His members 1 Cor 15:45

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Amen Brother, Praising God for His Resurrection Life in Christ !

beloved57

The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is God, part of the Blessed Trinity or Godhead of God, the One God. Heres a quote denoting the personality of the Holy Spirit functioning as God from the Book of Acts 13:1-5

The Person of the Holy Spirit

The Person of the Holy Spirit
Acts 13: 1-5
The Person of the Holy Ghost is set forth as taking the action of
“speaking.” V2: The Holy Ghost said; the Holy Ghost takes the action of
“commanding”: V2: Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work; the Holy
Ghost takes the action of “calling”: V2: The work whereunto I have
called them; the Holy Ghost takes the action of “sending”–V4: So they,
being sent forth by the Holy Ghost. Also, notice the personal pronouns
used here,–V2: Separate me (for me)…for the work whereunto I have
called them. So the Holy Ghost is declared here as a Person, distinct
from God the Father and God the Son–the third person in the Trinity.
Furthermore, the Person of the Holy Ghost is declared to be God, one
with God the Father and God the Son. The Holy Spirit is God. Scripture
declares plainly that only God calls and ordains his servants. As we
read of Aaron. (Hebrews 5: 4.) Likewise, the scripture declares plainly
that Christ Jesus the Son of God gives his messengers to the church
(Ephesians 4: 11.) And here in our text, we find this work attributed to
the Holy Ghost, V2: Separate me (for me)…for the work whereunto I have
called them. So in this we see that just as the Father is God, and the
Son is God, so too, the Holy Spirit is God.
Thirdly, we see the Person of the Holy Spirit fulfills a specific
office. The service to which Holy Spirit separated and called and sent
forth Barnabas and Saul, is said to be for the Holy Ghost or for the
work of the Holy Ghost. In this place it not said here to be the service
of God or the service of Christ, or the service of the Church (though
Barnabas and Saul were the servants of them) but this service is
described by the Holy Ghost as a separation “for me” and is “the work
where unto I have called them.” Being God, the third person in the
Trinity, the work of the Holy Ghost is in perfect harmony and one with
the work of God the Father and God the Son (John 14: 26.)
By God the Holy Spirit calling and ordaining Barnabas and Saul, the
eternal power of the Holy Ghost, the third Person in the Godhead is set
forth as a distinct Person. He is God even as God the Father and God the
Son. The specific work of the Holy Spirit is set forth as the
administration within the church for the edifying and gifting of the
saints and for the preaching and glorifying of Christ Jesus the Lord. In
sovereign power, the Holy Spirit works within each saint, and the Holy
Spirit acts within the church, particularly giving unction to the
ministers of the word and to the hearers. I Corinthians 12: 7-11; John
14: 13-15.)
Clay Curtis.