The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

Aimiel

I don't believe that we have to abstain from marriage, as Jesus did. I don't believe that walking on water is a pre-requisite for Heaven. I also don't believe that baptism or any other act, besides believing, is required, to be able to come into a relationship with Him. I do believe that baptism is proof that He is in your heart, because He moves upon those that come to Him to be baptized. Whether they do so or not does not damn or save them. Jesus said that whosoever believes in Him would not perish. He wasn't lying.

rene

Did Jesus teach AGAINST marriage? Where within the bible is that found?

What I find within my bible is His teachings on marriage and how such is honorable between men and women, that the union is a sacred one. That such is honored by God. Jesus gave many examples about it.

Which still doesn't address the fact that Jesus spoke/taught of baptism, told that they should go out and baptise those who came to believe.

If not important - or required - why did Jesus teach such?

Originally posted by Aimiel

I don't believe that we have to abstain from marriage, as Jesus did. I don't believe that walking on water is a pre-requisite for Heaven. I also don't believe that baptism or any other act, besides believing, is required, to be able to come into a relationship with Him. I do believe that baptism is proof that He is in your heart, because He moves upon those that come to Him to be baptized. Whether they do so or not does not damn or save them. Jesus said that whosoever believes in Him would not perish. He wasn't lying.

Freak

Re: How Is Man Justified?

Re: How Is Man Justified?

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Freak,

No where in my last post did I say that anyone was justified by law.

Then you say this:

I said that those who faithfully lived under the law of God will be with faithful Christians who lived under the law of Christ.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

Righteousness doesn't come from being faithful or through the law but rather righteousness comes through God. Then the apostle Paul goes on to state:

Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. I'm not under the law, you may be, but I'm not.

This is because of their faithfulness.
Our faithfulness doesn't save us. Rather it's His faithfulness that we depend on...

...if we are faithless,
he will remain faithful...

Baptism saves when you faithfully obey it for the remission of sins (1 Peter 3:19-21; Acts 2:38).
JustWorks, you're not a Christian but a water lover. Our author and perfector of our faith is Jesus not water. :down:

rene

Any can pick and choose verses from the bible.

Wise is the person that sees them all and doesn't set out with a preset thought of where they want the verse to go - but instead see them as a whole and in context.

I too can point out all day (if I have to) verses about the importance of faith, grace of God, God's mercy, God's will for mankind. But not any of those verses detract nor do they do away with the verses that address baptism, it's importance, nor that such was the will of the Son of God and what He taught and lived.

JustAChristian

Be Baptized Or Be Lost!

Be Baptized Or Be Lost!

Originally posted by rene

I agree with you.

You know what is really sad? That there are people out there that evidently have a problem with baptism - something that Jesus did Himself and told us to also do.

They argue/suggest/belittle those that say that because Jesus taught such that it should be done - if one indeed is a follower of Jesus - all the while ignoring that Jesus taught it. Then they want to say that they follow Him.

I have seen none say that baptism saves - tho that has been suggested. I have tho seen people show within scripture where it is clearly stated that it is indeed something that every believer should do.

I have never met a person that was saved that wasn't baptised. But I have met many people that claim relationship with God thru Jesus that teach that baptism isn't important - even tho that clearly goes against what is within the bible. I have even met some that make the claim to be a preacher/evangelist/prophet that never got around to being baptised.

People really do need to test all the spirits, compare and pray about what it is that some are promoting to what is found within the bible.

Rene

Rene,
Let me suggest that no one has completely read the New Testament if they haven’t read where it says that baptism saves. May I suggest that they read Peter’s account in chapter three and verses nineteen through twenty-one which clearly points out that baptism saves. It is compared to the ark that Noah and his family were saved when they entered and stayed inside through the days of the flood. Peter says it is a similarity to our salvation obtained by baptism. We don’t wash away filth of the fleshly outside but sins of the inward man through baptism (Acts 22:16). If they continue their study, I believe they will come to the conclusion that I have. That is, unless one is baptized for the remission of sins he has not obeyed the gospel, the message of salvation. Not obeying the gospel is being rebellious to the message of Christ and against God. Jesus said, “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16). Baptism is commanded by Jesus. It is for spiritual cleansing and preparatory to spiritual service in the Lord’s church. Scriptural baptism must be an immersion or burial in water where the blood of Christ is spiritually contacted. Sprinkling can not simulate this burial. Therefore, sprinkling for baptism is not scriptural baptism. How do you stand with God. Is your baptism scriptural? If not, don’t you think you should be obedient to the gospel today! Have someone immerse you for the remission of sins and continue to faithfully serve Christ in His church.

JustAChristian :angel:

Aimiel

Just like coming together for The Lord's Supper, baptism shows the faith of the participants. I have been immersed, and recommend it, very strongly, but I don't believe that it ever 'saved' anyone. It is our faith (not really ours, but it is A Gift from God) that saves us. The Lord requires faith. Yes, if someone belongs to Him, and follows what He taught and does as He did, they will be baptized. Not doing so will not prevent them from entering Heaven, but may keep The Lord from being able to give them all that He wants to be allowed to. We are all guilty of that one, not reaching the place He wants us to be. If we weren't, there wouldn't be any sickness, disease or death left on this planet. We'd have chased it away by now.

JustAChristian

Originally posted by Aimiel

Just like coming together for The Lord's Supper, baptism shows the faith of the participants. I have been immersed, and recommend it, very strongly, but I don't believe that it ever 'saved' anyone. It is our faith (not really ours, but it is A Gift from God) that saves us. The Lord requires faith. Yes, if someone belongs to Him, and follows what He taught and does as He did, they will be baptized. Not doing so will not prevent them from entering Heaven, but may keep The Lord from being able to give them all that He wants to be allowed to. We are all guilty of that one, not reaching the place He wants us to be. If we weren't, there wouldn't be any sickness, disease or death left on this planet. We'd have chased it away by now.

Did Jesus say "Go ye therefore into all the world and "recommend that everyone be baptized"? No, it it a commandment to be obeyed (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16). If you could find one example in the New Testament of an apostle or preacher of the gospel recommending only that anyone be baptized then you would have a valid premise to preach on. You will not find such a premise because baptism is always commanded (Acts 10:48) not just recommended.

Galatians 3:27 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

JustAChristian

Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Originally posted by Freak

Then you say this:

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

Righteousness doesn't come from being faithful or through the law but rather righteousness comes through God. Then the apostle Paul goes on to state:

Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. I'm not under the law, you may be, but I'm not.

Our faithfulness doesn't save us. Rather it's His faithfulness that we depend on...

...if we are faithless,
he will remain faithful...

JustWorks, you're not a Christian but a water lover. Our author and perfector of our faith is Jesus not water. :down:

Freak,

You are so ignorant of the scriptures. I ask you to give a simple difinition of "through faith" and you can't do that!! All you can do is expound on your "faith only" doctrine and ignore my request. Maybe I can give you another challenge. In the book of Corinthians chapter 15 verse 2 it says we are saved by the gospel. In Ephesians 2:8 it says we are saved by grace through faith. Can't you explain the difference? Can you tell us how we can be save by two different things? It's a simple challenge. Surely you are prepared to accept it.

Freak

But not any of those verses detract nor do they do away with the verses that address baptism, it's importance, nor that such was the will of the Son of God and what He taught and lived.
These passages detract from water baptism as a means to salvation...

Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works...

Can righteousness come through works such as allowing water to touch your flesh for salvation?

Freak

Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Freak,

You are so ignorant of the scriptures.
Remember everyone...this coming from a man who believes something God has created will save you....JustWorks has been deceived...for only God can forgive sins, not some water.

In the book of Corinthians chapter 15 verse 2 it says we are saved by the gospel. In Ephesians 2:8 it says we are saved by grace through faith. Can't you explain the difference? Can you tell us how we can be save by two different things?
This is fairly simple...

Scriptures teach Jesus not water saves...

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

rene

So, your stating to ignore within the scriptures verses that address baptism, Jesus teaching about it, the call that we are to 'go into all the world and baptize'?

What approach is it that you call such?

Bible college that I went to would call it many things - but certainly wouldn't suggest that such was a biblical way nor that such reflected the teachings of Jesus - that you clearly choose to ignore His very words.

These passages detract from water baptism as a means to salvation...

Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works...

Can righteousness come through works such as allowing water to touch your flesh for salvation?

rene

For something that is not considered to be 'important' - it sure is covered many times within scripture - and no mention is made that such is ever to stop, looses it's importance and something that is to be done.

Mat 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee upon the Jordan, unto John to be baptized by him,
Mat 3:14 but John was forbidding him, saying, `I have need by thee to be baptized--and thou dost come unto me!' (if not 'important' as some would like to suggest - why this comment)

Mat 3:16 And having been baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water, and lo, opened to him were the heavens, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him, (wasn't till after His this supposed not important act that the Holy Spirit came upon Jesus and he withstood the temptation before Him - but hey it's just scripture - or so some approach it)

Mar 16:15 Then he said to them, "As you go into all the world, proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
Mar 16:16 The one who believes and is baptized will be saved, but the one who doesn't believe will be condemned. (words of Jesus here - does one make the choice to follow His words - or another)

Act 2:38 and Peter said unto them, `Reform, and be baptized each of you on the name of Jesus Christ, to remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, (words spoken in obedience to the words of Jesus - which it appears some to think are not important)

Act 2:41 then those, indeed, who did gladly receive his word were baptized, and there were added on that day, as it were, three thousand souls, (start of the church - and all are indeed baptized - tho some still want to suggest that it isn't important)

Act 8:12 And when they believed Philip, proclaiming good news, the things concerning the reign of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized both men and women; (again, we see in exactly what was going on - that some want to suggest is not important)

Act 8:13 and Simon also himself did believe, and, having been baptized, he was continuing with Philip, beholding also signs and mighty acts being done, he was amazed. (another example)

Act 8:36 And as they were going on the way, they came upon a certain water, and the eunuch said, `Lo, water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?' (another following those teachings that some want to suggest is not important)

Act 8:38 and he commanded the chariot to stand still, and they both went down to the water, both Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him; (why the "command" if it wasn't needed - as stated by Jesus)

Act 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it were scales, he saw again also presently, and having risen, was baptized, (Saul/Paul followed - and saw to it that others followed the teaching of baptism)

Act 10:47 Then answered Peter, `The water is any one able to forbid, that these may not be baptized, who the Holy Spirit did receive--even as also we?' (making a stand so that the first Gentiles could be added - clear from reading this portion of scripture that it isn't a 'small' matter but of importance, something he was willing to stand up for these people to receive)

Act 10:48 he commanded them also to be baptized in the name of the Lord; then they besought him to remain certain days. (there is that word again - commanded - the one that some want to see as something that isn't important that he is commanding about, baptism)

Act 16:15 and when she was baptized, and her household, she did call upon us, saying, `If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, having entered into my house, remain;' and she constrained us. (yet again, another example of something some would suggest as not important)

Act 16:33 and having taken them, in that hour of the night, he did bathe them from the blows, and was baptized, himself and all his presently, (another example)

Act 18:8 and Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue did believe in the Lord with all his house, and many of the Corinthians hearing were believing, and they were being baptized. (whole households followed in this teaching)

Act 19:5 and they, having heard, were baptized--to the name of the Lord Jesus, (again - the pattern should be clear by now)

Rom 6:3 are ye ignorant that we, as many as were baptized to Christ Jesus, to his death were baptized? (a question that evidently needs to still be asked today)

Gal 3:27 for as many as to Christ were baptized did put on Christ; (this verse sure does indicate that baptism is indeed the way to "put on Christ" - the choice has to be made and whom and what to believe - scripture or another source)

I have watched comments and insults made - all the while with either ignorance or totally ignoring large portions of scripture.

As Gal. 3:27 CLEARLY STATES and refutes comments made within this thread. Sad thing is that it doesn't seem to matter to some - sadder still is that some might actually follow and agree with what they 'teach' vs what is within the bible.

rene

A scripture that needs to be pointed out is one that most everyone knows - Christian or not.

Jam 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

"Faith" spoken of here is:

πίστις
pistis
pis'-tis
From 3982; persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself: - assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

"works":

ἔργον
ergon
er'-gon
From ἔργω ergō (a primary but obsolete word; to work); toil (as an effort or occupation); by implication an act: - deed, doing, labour, work.

"dead":

νεκρός
nekros
nek-ros'
From an apparently primary word νέκυς nekus (a corpse); dead (literally or figuratively; also as noun): - dead.

So much for the claims that I have seen made by some on this thread when compared to the bible.

Hebrews 11:1 tells us, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " The fact is that we don't see our salvation till Jesus returns - for He brings salvation and it will be a total and complete salvation upon His return for His bride/church.

Yes, we are indeed saved, but as a dog can return to it's vomit (2 Peter 2:22) - sadly some will turn from Jesus the source of salvation. We have to keep on with the race (1 Cor 9:24).

Thus we await His return - being as the wise virgins ever ready and waiting for that return. Doing as He spoke to be done, following all His words and not picking and making choice of ones to follow. His instructions to the church are clear. Some will make the choice to follow. Our quest is to see that as many as possible are added, showing them His words so that they know what to follow vs an opinion that refutes with claims that such is not important (when nothing close to that is stated within the bible).

Freak,

You are so ignorant of the scriptures. I ask you to give a simple difinition of "through faith" and you can't do that!! All you can do is expound on your "faith only" doctrine and ignore my request. Maybe I can give you another challenge. In the book of Corinthians chapter 15 verse 2 it says we are saved by the gospel. In Ephesians 2:8 it says we are saved by grace through faith. Can't you explain the difference? Can you tell us how we can be save by two different things? It's a simple challenge. Surely you are prepared to accept it.

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Remember everyone...this coming from a man who believes something God has created will save you....JustWorks has been deceived...for only God can forgive sins, not some water.

This is fairly simple...

Scriptures teach Jesus not water saves...

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

Freak,

You never cease to amaze me with your ignorance, not to mention your ability to dodge the issue...you'd make a good Democrat politition....

Yes, God created water as a life sustainer for all life needs water. Christ also appointed it as the medium through which one contacts the blood that cleanses us from sins (Acts 22:16; Rom. 6:3-5). I asked you do tell us the difference between "salvation by faith" and "salvation by the gospel." You have not done so. You have only dodged the issue. This is typical of ignorance to the Bible. This is FREAKY !!!

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved

FREAKY, if you are so sure that the Bible tells us that Jesus saves, can you tell us how He saves? One or two lines will suffice. Include all the dots and dashes, the semi-colons and colons, the periods and the exclamation points. They'll help make up at least two lines. Waiting for your answers....that is if you don't choose to dodge the issue again.

JustAChristian :crackup:

Freak

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Freak,

FREAKY, if you are so sure that the Bible tells us that Jesus saves, can you tell us how He saves?

On the basis of God's Word I can...

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God.

Jesus is our Savior not water. Get it?

rene

The reality still stands that He/Jesus left instructions to the church. Some will make the choice to follow those instructions, some will pick and choose what it is that they want to follow. The Christians quest is to see that as many as possible are added, showing them His words so that they know what to follow vs an opinion that refutes with claims of what someone views as important vs what can be clearly seen within the bible is important.

Last edited:

Freak

The reality still stands that He/Jesus left instructions to the church. Some will make the choice to follow those instructions, some will pick and choose what it is that they want to follow. The Christians quest is to see that as many as possible are added, showing them His words so that they know what to follow vs an opinion that refutes with claims of what someone views as important vs what can be clearly seen within the bible is important.
Does this mean you agree with me that Jesus is the Savior and not the water?

rene

As per the person that you evidently were taking *aim* at that started this whole thread stated - it is thru Jesus that one has salvation.

What I wonder about is your approach to what that faith is and what that involves.

To me - that is following His examples, His words - where He clearly speaks to believers being baptised, as is seen thru out the NT believers following, people even seeking out so that their walk with God would be as told by the one that they have 'faith' in.

Salvation is thru Jesus. Faith is in Jesus. The question then that presents itself is just how is one to reflect that faith? what steps need to be taken because of this faith? Is faith alone enough? (answer to that one is within the many verses I already placed here - and the answer is *no*)

Going thru your many comments about baptism - shows me that you have little if any regard for a teaching that Jesus spoke of and that the apostles were taught and shared as seen within the NT.

As a Christian, I have the responsiblity and the need (because of relationship with God thru His Son) to point out to you from within the bible what is clearly there and attempting to get you inline with what is within. You want to reject such - that is your choice. My choice is to do the best that I can with what I have to work with and get out the truth found within the bible.

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Is Man Justified?

On the basis of God's Word I can...

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God.

Jesus is our Savior not water. Get it?

Freak,

If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God.

Can you show me in the scriptures where this is ever told anyone who is not already saved and it caused him or her to be saved? Just give me the scriptural reference. Don't show me any verses after the book of Acts for those following the book of Acts are ment to enrich the church which is the saved.