ECT The Grace of God. Is it merited or unmerited?

God's Truth

The very definition of "grace" is the exact opposite of what you try to sell.

Grace means we do not have to do these things anymore:

The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.

We do not have to do those works anymore, just to go to the temple to worship God.

Grace is that we do not have to do those works, we only have to have faith that Jesus' blood cleans us.

Grace is not, "We no longer have to obey God."

God's Truth

Merit is working to earn something the opposite of a free gift.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with your whole being, for the Lord and not for men, 24 because you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as your reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.…

God's Truth

Merit is working to earn something the opposite of a free gift.

Jesus gives the Holy Spirit to those he chooses to give it, and Jesus chooses to give the Holy Spirit to those WHO OBEY.

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Jamie Gigliotti

If forgiveness is by repentance and repentance by the will of man given him by God, unless reprobation is determined, then faith to believe for it is of the same substance as the grace of God..

Who deserved Christ's blood shed for them, who earned it? It is only by the love and mercy of God.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Obeying Jesus does NOT nullify grace!

Romans 4

4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

Galatians 5

4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Jamie Gigliotti

And that love and mercy is called "redemption", not salvation. Salvation is merited by those who ask for it, by faith believing the account of redemption.

So if it depends on undeserved gifts, the Cross, the Holy Spirit, it is unmerrited favor, grace.
The question is will we take the gift and apply it in our lives, that is our choice; that is what we will be judged upon. Did we surrender to Him, His grace, His Spirit?

We must choose to take the gift, to live in and through the gift, but it is a gift none the less.

nikolai_42

The scriptures are replete with passages that declare the Grace of God to be merited, none, when understanding context is in play, to be unmerited.

I think Paul would disagree with you :

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

I Corinthians 15:9-11

Verse 9 is Paul basically saying "I didn't merit God's grace because (specifically) of what I did". Verse 10 is him essentially saying "BUT God bestowed it on me anyway - and that's the ONLY reason I am what I am. I take no credit nor did I deserve His mercy and grace. And so I labored more than anyone else. YET...even at that it wasn't me doing the laboring but the Grace of God that He gave that did the work". Verse 11, then is showing the fruits of that work.

Where is the merit? Where is Paul's deserving of this? Grace came BEFORE he worked and then DID the work through him. The only deserving that can be said of Paul is that God did the preparing of him beforehand. Then raised him up to be the apostle to the Gentiles. Paul disowned his own merit :

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Philippians 3:4-6

He admitted his merit was worthless. And of course, he goes on to say that he counts those things as dung....loss...worthless that he may apprehend and know Christ. But at the ground of it all is not his own merit or work. It was all of grace. That he worked after (and continued to do so) was all grace - otherwise it would have necessarily been of the law (in which he was blameless by is own admission). And since grace did the work, he takes no credit. The work is necessary, but it is not our work.

Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

John 6:28-29

Cross Reference

I think Paul would disagree with you :

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

I Corinthians 15:9-11

Verse 9 is Paul basically saying "I didn't merit God's grace because (specifically) of what I did". Verse 10 is him essentially saying "BUT God bestowed it on me anyway - and that's the ONLY reason I am what I am. I take no credit nor did I deserve His mercy and grace. And so I labored more than anyone else. YET...even at that it wasn't me doing the laboring but the Grace of God that He gave that did the work". Verse 11, then is showing the fruits of that work.

Where is the merit? Where is Paul's deserving of this? Grace came BEFORE he worked and then DID the work through him. The only deserving that can be said of Paul is that God did the preparing of him beforehand. Then raised him up to be the apostle to the Gentiles. Paul disowned his own merit :

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Philippians 3:4-6

He admitted his merit was worthless. And of course, he goes on to say that he counts those things as dung....loss...worthless that he may apprehend and know Christ. But at the ground of it all is not his own merit or work. It was all of grace. That he worked after (and continued to do so) was all grace - otherwise it would have necessarily been of the law (in which he was blameless by is own admission). And since grace did the work, he takes no credit. The work is necessary, but it is not our work.

Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

John 6:28-29

Read my posts. You will see I mentioned the forknowledge of God as in: "In whom God foreknew He predestinated . . ". . . grace.

Cross Reference

So if it depends on undeserved gifts, the Cross, the Holy Spirit, it is unmerrited favor, grace.
The question is will we take the gift and apply it in our lives, that is our choice; that is what we will be judged upon. Did we surrender to Him, His grace, His Spirit?

We must choose to take the gift, to live in and through the gift, but it is a gift none the less.

Redemption was unmerited. Salvation is by one's faith, a gift to those whose place theirs in Him..

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Redemption was unmerited. Salvation is by one's faith, a gift to those whose place theirs in Him..

You are claiming grace that saves is a reward for a meritorious decision.

Not . . .

Grace is not a reward earned. Grace is being brought into spiritual union with the Christ of God, whose very essence is grace. John 1:14

And only God can work that miracle!

Cross Reference

The scriptures tell us that without faith it is impossible to please God. Obviously, there must be some 'works' in this that demonstrate living by faith, God blesses. Strange that some believe it really doesn't matter in God choosing those in whom He would place His life simply by recognizing such faith shown Him. Very odd, indeed.

Truster

The merit is with Messiah. Without Him having pleased the Father (merit) then grace would not be applicable to sinners.

God's Truth

Romans 4

4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

Galatians 5

4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

That means you do not have to get circumcised and offer an animal. It does not mean you do not have to obey. lol

God's Truth

You are claiming grace that saves is a reward for a meritorious decision.

Not . . .

Grace is not a reward earned. Grace is being brought into spiritual union with the Christ of God, whose very essence is grace. John 1:14

And only God can work that miracle!

Acts 5:32, and many others.