ECT The Gospel Preached at Pentecost

Jerry Shugart

On the day of Pentecost those who believed Peter's message were being saved. That means that Peter did preach a gospel that day and that gospel was not the "gospel of grace." We can know this because before anyone can be baptized with water they must first believe (Acts 8:36-37) and here we read that those who gladly received Peter's words were baptized:

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls" (Acts 2:41).​

We have an uninterrupted sermon preached by Peter on the day of Pentecost beginning at Acts 2:14 and ending at Acts 2:36. In that sermon there is not a word about God's "grace" and there is not a word about the purpose of the Lord Jesus' death on the Cross. Peter used facts of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus to prove the deity of Jesus and the fact that he is the promised Messiah. Peter ended his sermon with the following words:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"
(Acts 2:36).​

Dr. Stanley D. Toussaint, Senior Professor Emeritus of Bible Exposition at Dallas Theological Seminary (Acts 2), writes the following commentary on Acts 2:36:

"Here is the conclusion to Peter's sermon. The noun 'Lord', referring to 'Christ', probably is a reference to Yahweh. The same word 'kyrios' is used of 'God' in verses 21, 34, and 39 (cf. Phil. 2:9). This is a strong affirmation of Christ's deity"
(The Bible Knowledge Commentary; New Testament, ed. Walvoord & Zuck, [ChariotVictor Publishing, 1983], 359).​

The Jews who believed that Jesus is Christ, God come in the flesh, were "born of God". Dr. Zane Hodges, past Chairman of of the New Testament Department at Dallas Theological Seminary, writes the following in regard to Peter's words:

"Peter concludes his address with the assertion that 'God has made this Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ' (2:36). His hearers then reply, 'Men and brethren, what shall we do?' (2:37). But such a reaction presumes their acceptance of Peter's claim that they have crucified the one who is Lord and Christ. If this is what they now believe, then they were already regenerated on Johannine terms, since John wrote: 'Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God' (1 John 5:1; cf. John 20:31)" [emphasis added] (Hodges, The Gospel Under Siege, 101).​

Here are the verses to which Hodges makes reference: "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,5).

On the day of Pentecost those who believed the "good news" that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, were "born of God" and saved. This "good news" is the same good news which was first preached to the Jews:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek"
(Ro.1:16).​

The "good news" of Christ which was preached to the Jews first was different "good news" which was later preached to the Gentiles.

Last edited:

Interplanner

On the day of Pentecost those who believed Peter's message were being saved. That means that Peter did preach a gospel that day and that gospel was not the "gospel of grace." We can know this because before anyone can be baptized with water they must first believe (Acts 8:36-37) and here we read that those who gladly received Peter's words were baptized:

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls" (Acts 2:41).​

We have an uninterrupted sermon preached by Peter on the day of Pentecost beginning at Acts 2:14 and ending at Acts 2:36. In that sermon there is not a word about God's "grace" and there is not a word about the purpose of the Lord Jesus' death on the Cross. Peter used facts of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus to prove the deity of Jesus and the fact that he is the promised Messiah. Peter ended his sermon with the following words:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"
(Acts 2:36).​

Dr. Stanley D. Toussaint, Senior Professor Emeritus of Bible Exposition at Dallas Theological Seminary (Acts 2), writes the following commentary on Acts 2:36:

"Here is the conclusion to Peter's sermon. The noun 'Lord', referring to 'Christ', probably is a reference to Yahweh. The same word 'kyrios' is used of 'God' in verses 21, 34, and 39 (cf. Phil. 2:9). This is a strong affirmation of Christ's deity"
(The Bible Knowledge Commentary; New Testament, ed. Walvoord & Zuck, [ChariotVictor Publishing, 1983], 359).​

The Jews who believed that Jesus is Christ, God come in the flesh, were "born of God". Dr. Zane Hodges, past Chairman of of the New Testament Department at Dallas Theological Seminary, writes the following in regard to Peter's words:

"Peter concludes his address with the assertion that 'God has made this Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ' (2:36). His hearers then reply, 'Men and brethren, what shall we do?' (2:37). But such a reaction presumes their acceptance of Peter's claim that they have crucified the one who is Lord and Christ. If this is what they now believe, then they were already regenerated on Johannine terms, since John wrote: 'Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God' (1 John 5:1; cf. John 20:31)" [emphasis added] (Hodges, The Gospel Under Siege, 101).​

Here are the verses to which Hodges makes reference: "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,5).

On the day of Pentecost those who believed the "good news" that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, were "born of God" and saved. This "good news" is the same good news which was first preached to the Jews:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek"
(Ro.1:16).​

The "good news" of Christ which was preached to the Jews first was different "good news" which was later preached to the Gentiles.

Do you notice that RD, STP, JW do not smack Jerry S for using commentaries?

I knew he would do this. It is a crock and misses the drama entirely. It misses what David foresaw. IT is not a "sermon" as in the sense of 20th century sermons at 11 on Sundays.

Jerrys understanding is juvenile and amateur.

DTS is the industry of 2P2P is not going to get these things correctly.

It definitely is about the cross and grace!

Interplanner

The other total lie of course is "nothing about the cross". How ridiculous can you get jerry?

"...by God's set purpose and foreknowledge ...you ...put him to death by nailing him to the cross." v23.

You can't be trusted on any of this if you are not going to do the basics correctly.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

All expressed opinion or interpretation of Scripture by anyone is commentary.
Some commentary is good.
Some isn't.

Your commentary corresponds to the latter.

Danoh

I knew he would do this. It is a crock and misses the drama entirely. It misses what David foresaw. IT is not a "sermon" as in the sense of 20th century sermons at 11 on Sundays.

DTS is the industry of 2P2P is not going to get these things correctly.

It definitely is about the cross and grace!

AGAIN, the issue is NOT that of relying ON commentaries.

Rather, it is the issue of OVER RELYING ON them - as YOU...CLEARLY...do.

O'Hair had a HUGE library.

Stam had an EVEN LARGER library.

Baker had a library even LARGER than their two libraries COMBINED.

ALL of which are DWARFED by Jordans MASSIVE library.

For RESEARCH and simply out of curiousity with ALL SORTS of aspects of life - NOT JUST the Scripture.

And NOT as A REPLACEMENT OF...the Bible.

EACH one of those four men have been LITERALLY...WALKING...Bibles.

MANY Mid-Acts Pastors are VERY well read in books "about."

Even MORE - including those - are LITERALLY WALKING...Bibles.

ESPECIALLY those four.

To YOUR shame, and that of MANY JUST LIKE YOU - that kind of thing is MORE OFTEN found, in Judaism and in Islam, than in MOST so called "Bible" Believers.

Myself; I've read several THOUSAND books "about."

Likewise with movies and TV shows "about."

Thing is, what is the filter through which we each look at all things through?

Books "about"?

Movies "about"?

TV shows "about"?

The Media's supposed news "about"?

What others might say "about" one thing or another?

Heck - what others might believe, think, say "about me," and or what I hold to or not?

Or is it the filter "the preaching of Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery"?

Or as William R. Newell once rightly asked "Is (that man) Pauline?" (in WHERE he looks at things FROM).

In contrast, Interplanner - What's in your wallet?

It is obvious - ONLY an ENDLESS book of the Month Club card :D

Jerry Shugart

The other total lie of course is "nothing about the cross". How ridiculous can you get jerry?

I didn't say that! Here is what I said:

"Peter used facts of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus to prove the deity of Jesus and the fact that he is the promised Messiah. Peter ended his sermon with the following words..."

Why must you continually misrepresent what I say as well as what is taught by other dispensationalists?

Jerry Shugart

And, 99% of IP's comments are from a commentary.
Jerry may use them, but does not rely on them.

Of course since interplanner had no answer for the fact that the Jews were being saved by a gospel which is different from the "gospel of grace" he must attack my OP on a minor issue. He just hopes no one will notice that he had nothing of substance to say.

john w

Hall of Fame
I have before, as I have often "locked horns" with Jerry. But at least He employs some "version" of the book, in backing up His argument, in contrast to you, who just asserts/pounds the podium, declares "victory," and returns to his "the greek grammar/mysticism/allegory" echo chamber.

No, that is your act, schtick, on TOL.

Danoh

I didn't say that! Here is what I said:

"Peter used facts of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus to prove the deity of Jesus and the fact that he is the promised Messiah. Peter ended his sermon with the following words..."

Why must you continually misrepresent what I say as well as what is taught by other dispensationalists?

He can't help it; his filter has been set on "Misread" for over four decades now.

Result?

Borderline Paranoid Schizo Preterist Disorder.

Note how not only EVERY morning, but throughout EVERY day, he just HAS TO start ONE THREAD AFTER ANOTHER, and from some sort of a paranoid Chicken Little "my Preterism is falling! My Preterism is falling! Quick - gotta post another useless post against the Dispies! Aggh!!!"

:rotfl:

Danoh

I have before, as I have often "locked horns" with Jerry. But at least He employs some "version" of the book, in backing up His argument, in contrast to you, who just asserts/pounds the podium, declares "victory," and returns to his "the greek grammar/mysticism/allegory" echo chamber.

No, that is your act, schtick, on TOL.

Perhaps his is Domo-moh-ree-gah-toh Mr. Robato?

john w

Hall of Fame

"...by God's set purpose and foreknowledge ...you ...put him to death by nailing him to the cross." v23.

You can't be trusted on any of this if you are not going to do the basics correctly.

More NADA scripture.

You are beginning to bore us. Move it up a notch. Teach us. Please?

Interplanner

Of course since interplanner had no answer for the fact that the Jews were being saved by a gospel which is different from the "gospel of grace" he must attack my OP on a minor issue. He just hopes no one will notice that he had nothing of substance to say.

They were offered FORGIVENESS which is grace. Your post is foolish. this is the major issue, and it is not a major issue that THEY the potential FORGIVEN BY GRACE were the ones said to do the nailing to the cross.

You are further proof that 2P2P is a crock and scandal.

Where is Danoh spitting and puking on commentaries? STP? RD?

Jerry most definitely relied on the commentaries he quoted because they don't know the Judaistic background, which is not complicated. You have to have a master's degree of 2P2P to make it that confusing and come up with 2 gospels!

Peter and Paul are fundamentally unified on the Gospel, law, justification from sins, etc.

Interplanner

In that sermon there is not a word about God's "grace" and there is not a word about the purpose of the Lord Jesus' death on the Cross

These are both lies.

There is no reason for mentioning the cross here than that it justifies these people from what they did. It was impossible for the agony of that death to contain him because it was going to JUSTIFY US from sin!

that is why he says it was a set purpose and foreknowledge of God.

You are just hooey, Jerry.

You explode every biblical text so that it's blocks can be reassembled in the shape of 2P2P.