The Gospel Paul preached

Predi

1 Thessalonians 4:16 KJV - 1 Thessalonians 4:17-18 KJV -

I was excited about "Left Behind", too, until I realized the whole doctrine is actually based on one word in the Bible, which can have many other meanings, and also that no one heard about rapture until Darby...

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I was excited about "Left Behind", too, until I realized the whole doctrine is actually based on one word in the Bible, which can have many other meanings, and also that no one heard about rapture until Darby...

I was never excited about 'Left Behind', but I knew what 'caught up' meant simply by reading the Scripture, long before all that hype was dumped on the public.

Predi

What else does caught up mean?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to question the meaning of this very word, but the whole idea. "Being caught up in the air to the clouds" may have a literal meaning as well as a spiritual or figurative. It's interesting that those who get caught up are those who are "LEFT" (opposite to "Left Behind" theology). The whole context also doesn't speak about tribulation at all (which always stands next to rapture in theology), but Paul only addresses the anxiety of Thessalonians about the people who passed away.

There's just not enough information in that passage to form a doctrine. Plus... what will happen later to those who will be "in the air with the Lord"? Will forever be flying there? Get back to earth? Go to heaven? When, how, what for? Not enough information.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It's just a word, a term Darby maybe used first, who knows. It's like a grand slam, just a term for a bases loaded home run. Paul still teaches us that it will happen. I never read or watched Left Behind, it's drivel.