ECT The Definition of Musterion and why the Gospel was not a Mystery

andyc

The Greek word musteirion is the origin of the English word “mystery.” The etymology of the word is from the Greek root mueo, meaning “to shut.” This is normally a reference to shutting the eyes. Thus the root meaning has the concept of “one who shuts his eyes.” As he shuts his eyes, he begins to meditate as things are revealed to him, so the derived meaning is “one who is initiated into the mysteries.”

In Classical Greek, which preceded the Greek of the New Testament, mueo had the following basic meanings: “a hidden thing,” “a secret ceremony,” “a secret teaching,” “a mystery,” “secret rites,” “instruments of the teaching connected with them.”

In New Testament Greek, the meaning is both technical and simple. It refers to something that was totally unrevealed in the Old Testament, and only revealed in the New Testament. For something to qualify as a New Testament mystery, then, it must be something totally unrevealed anywhere in the Old Testament. If it is knowable from the Old Testament, it is not a mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

The reason they love to talk about the mystery of the gospel, is because the gospel is still a mystery to them. That's why they don't attend church.

john w

Hall of Fame
The reason they love to talk about the mystery of the gospel, is because the gospel is still a mystery to them. That's why they don't attend church.

It is important to study and learn the entire counsel of the Word of God. That must only be done by using a strict literal hermeneutic that includes taking relevant passages into context in order to understand what has been declared.

john w

Hall of Fame
Hahahaha

It is important to study and learn the entire counsel of the Word of God. That must only be done by using a strict literal hermeneutic that includes taking relevant passages into context in order to understand what has been declared.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

I know that must have been rich coming from me.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I need to write that one down-I had never thought of it. And the above can be employed to answer any question, on any topic.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Yeah laugh it up bud. I got plenty more.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

This includes the prophetic portions of scripture. Let me know where you need help.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The mystery of the gospel is Ephesians 3:6 KJV. The gospel mentioned therein is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV. If it's hid from anyone today it is surely hid to you (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV).

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The mystery of the gospel is Ephesians 3:6 KJV. The gospel mentioned therein is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV. If it's hid from anyone today it is surely hid to you (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV).

“to wit, that the Gentiles are fellow-heirs, and fellow-members of the body, and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,”
??Ephesians? ?3:6? ?ASV??
THE TWO BECOME ONE BODY IS THE MYSTERY AND NOT THE FACT OF THE MESSIAH'S DEATH BURIAL AND RESURRECTION. YOUR PROOFTEXT IS YOUR PRETEXT, UNLESS OF COURSE YOUR DEFINITION OF THE MUSTERIONS IS NOT AS DEFINED IN DA OP.

“Now I make known unto you brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye received, wherein also ye stand, by which also ye are saved, if ye hold fast the word which I preached unto you, except ye believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which also I received: that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried; and that he hath been raised on the third day according to the scriptures;”
??1 Corinthians? ?15:1-4? ?ASV??

NO CONTEXTUAL RELEVANCE HERE CONNECTING WHAT PAUL WROTE TO A MUSTERION

“And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled in them that perish: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them.”
??2 Corinthians? ?4:3-4? ?ASV??

VEILED IS NOT THE TECHNICAL TERM PAUL USES FOR MYSTERIES. THIS VERSE HAS NO CONNECTING RELATIONSHIP TO PAUL'S DOCTRINAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUSTERIONS.

heir

TOL Subscriber
“to wit, that the Gentiles are fellow-heirs, and fellow-members of the body, and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,”
:doh: I was addressing andyc's comment, "The reason they love to talk about the mystery of the gospel,..."by showing what the mystery of the gospel is and where that gospel is declared. And I put KJV after each verse citing.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Yeah laugh it up bud. I got plenty more.

QED.

Nothing to the art of debating/persuasion.

john w

Hall of Fame
I know that must have been rich coming from me.

I'm pounding the opponent. Wonder if I can load this up, put it on auto pilot? I need to call "god"rulz.

john w

Hall of Fame
THE TWO BECOME ONE BODY IS THE MYSTERY AND NOT THE FACT OF THE MESSIAH'S DEATH BURIAL AND RESURRECTION. YOUR PROOFTEXT IS YOUR PRETEXT, UNLESS OF COURSE YOUR DEFINITION OF THE MUSTERIONS IS NOT AS DEFINED IN DA OP.

“Now I make known unto you brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye received, wherein also ye stand, by which also ye are saved, if ye hold fast the word which I preached unto you, except ye believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which also I received: that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried; and that he hath been raised on the third day according to the scriptures;”
??1 Corinthians? ?15:1-4? ?ASV??

NO CONTEXTUAL RELEVANCE HERE CONNECTING WHAT PAUL WROTE TO A MUSTERION

“And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled in them that perish: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them.”
??2 Corinthians? ?4:3-4? ?ASV??

VEILED IS NOT THE TECHNICAL TERM PAUL USES FOR MYSTERIES. THIS VERSE HAS NO CONNECTING RELATIONSHIP TO PAUL'S DOCTRINAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUSTERIONS.

SaulToPaul 2

I'm pounding the opponent. Wonder if I can load this up, put it on auto pilot? I need to call "god"rulz.

Oh sure! Thanks a lot, Squirt.

Were you on the Debate Team, Mayberry High School, class of 1972?