The Crusades fought jihadists like we are (should be) today

republicanchick

The Crusades (American Catholic.com)

I found this information about the Crusades. It looks like the reference to the shows on the topic on EWTN are dated, so I have highlighted the parts that are not.

But in the Middle Ages, kings and knights of Christendom set forth to push back against the inroads of Islamic forces into majority Christian areas in the Holy Land and beyond. Once considered a noble, if ultimately failed, campaign to make sacred sites safe for Christian pilgrims, over the last century or so, the Crusades have gradually become recast as an imperialist surge against peaceful people.

Like many notions currently promulgated by academia and the media, it’s a near-reversal of what actually happened over the course of centuries. As with any great human endeavor, the Crusades had their share of stupidity, brutality, greed, and misadventure, but that is only a piece of the whole story.

And of all the people asked to comment on the Crusades–from scholars to reporters to filmmakers to novelists to activists–one group seldom allowed to have its say is the Catholic Church, whose history is inextricably linked with that of the Crusades.
From October 8-11, at 10 p.m. (ET) each night, EWTN presents The Crusades, a four-part series shot on location in seven countries (Turkey, Israel, France, Austria, England, Spain, and Slovakia). Described at the EWTN blog as “a well-rounded understanding of an important historical event,” each episode features original dramatizations, original music recorded in Europe, and commentary from historians specializing in the period.

These historians are Professor Jonathan Phillips, professor of Crusading History at Royal Holloway, University of London; Professor Jonathan Riley-Smith of Cambridge University, one of Britain’s leading experts on the Crusades; and Professor Thomas F. Madden, chair of the Department of History at St. Louis University, who not only focuses on the Crusades but on the larger issue of the Christian-Muslim conflict.
Preceding the premiere on Wednesday, October 8, airing at 8 p.m. ET is a special episode of EWTN Live, with EWTN staffer and Middle Eastern scholar Father Mitch Pacwa interviewing Stefano Mazzeo, writer, producer, and host of The Crusades, and Madden, author of A Concise History of the Crusades.

In advance of this, on Sunday, October 5, at 10 p.m. ET, EWTN airs Franciscan University Presents Myths About the Crusades, with commentary from Dr. Paul Crawford, professor of medieval history at California University of Pennsylvania (located in the Pennsylvania town of California, near Pittsburgh), along with host Michael Hernon and panelists Dr. Regis Martin, professor of theology at the Franciscan University of Steubenville (Ohio), and Catholic convert and theologian Dr. Scott Hahn.

Go here to read the rest. Our knowledge of the Crusades has been expanding rapidly in the past few decades. I am glad that this series has some of the top names in crusading studies. A good starting point is to read some of the numerous works of Dr. Riley-Smith.

http://www.crusades-encyclopedia.com/jonathanrileysmith.html

Here is a link to a First Things Article in which Riley-Smith explains what the Crusades were:

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2007/01/rethinking-the-crusades-35

A good examination of myths of about the crusades, linked below, by Thomas F. Madden, one of the foremost historians of the Fourth Crusade.

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/print2005/tmadden_crusades_print.html

His “A Concise History of the Crusades” is a must read for anyone interested in this period in history:

http://www.amazon.com/Concise-History-Crusades-Critical-Issues/dp/0847694291

The Crusades were a tardy, and defensive, response to militant Islam by the Catholic states of the West. By bringing Western military power against Islam the fall of Constantinople to the Turks was delayed until 1453. The Byzantine Empire had suffered a severe defeat at the battle of Manzikert at the hands of the Turks in 1071. They were no longer able to hold the line in the East against Islam and were desperate for military aid from the West. Absent the Crusades I doubt if Constantinople would have survived much beyond 1150. This would have led to Islam taking over the Balkans three centuries before it did historically. These three centuries were crucial in that by the time the Turks marched against Vienna in 1529 the West was already beginning to surpass Islam technologically. Vienna besieged in 1229 might have been the beginning of a process that would have seen the conquest of Europe by Islam.
- See more at: http://the-american-catholic.com/2014/10/05/the-truth-about-the-crusades/#sthash.BxZ3qgRe.dpuf
http://the-american-catholic.com/2014/10/05/the-truth-about-the-crusades/

Aimiel

Thomas Jefferson also fought the Barbary Pirates (Islamic Jihadists) who were taxing the whole world to be able to ship goods. That's why the Marine Corps sings about Tripoli. We fight against Islam today, every time we witness to others for Christ. We're also fighting them with Homeland Security, the F.B.I. and the C.I.A..

republicanchick

Thomas Jefferson also fought the Barbary Pirates (Islamic Jihadists) who were taxing the whole world to be able to ship goods. That's why the Marine Corps sings about Tripoli. We fight against Islam today, every time we witness to others for Christ. We're also fighting them with Homeland Security, the F.B.I. and the C.I.A..

how about the military?

we need to wipe them out like we did the Nazis

republicanchick

those awful, awful, horrible Catholics, killing all those poor Muslims

who were only trying to take over the world, that's all

like they are today.. murdering every Christian in their path..

those awful, awful Catholics should have just let themselves be killed.

Then all of us would now be Muslims...

I will bet women would be more than happy to fight those so and sos... if they really appreciate (that is) the rights they have... that they wouldn't have if... the Crusaders had not have won.

++

republicanchick

it's been an hour and a half and no one has commented on the Crusades here

told ya

anti-Catholics make all kinds of negative comments about the Church and its history, but then when a discussion begins on some of that history, the high tail it..

cowards...

Aimiel

The Crusades were probably one of the most barbaric of wars on our planet and nothing to be proud of. Yes, we are all warriors for Christ, but He wants us to pray for our enemies so that we don't have to kill them but rather win them for Him. He doesn't take sides. He takes over. We need to pray that He will take over our planet, since we've made such a mess of it killing each other ever since Cain slew Able. We'll be fighting on the day He returns and He will slay every single one of His enemies with His Word the moment His foot touches the Mount of Olives.

republicanchick

The Crusades were probably one of the most barbaric of wars on our planet and nothing to be proud of. .

yes, I am sure they were

b/c the anti-Catholics say so.. That's enough proof for narrow minded, vacuous NeverThnk4Themselves folks...

which, unfortunately, maybe at least 50% of the population

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Crusades were probably one of the most barbaric of wars on our planet and nothing to be proud of. Yes, we are all warriors for Christ, but He wants us to pray for our enemies so that we don't have to kill them but rather win them for Him. He doesn't take sides. He takes over. We need to pray that He will take over our planet, since we've made such a mess of it killing each other ever since Cain slew Able. We'll be fighting on the day He returns and He will slay every single one of His enemies with His Word the moment His foot touches the Mount of Olives.

yes, I am sure they were

b/c the anti-Catholics say so.. That's enough proof for narrow minded, vacuous NeverThnk4Themselves folks...

which, unfortunately, maybe at least 50% of the population

Care to provide justification for the Crusades?

Lexington'96

The bolded part is the only legitimate Christian way to fight Islam.

jsjohnnt

Care to provide justification for the Crusades?
No, but I can provide justification for the eradication of violent Islam, today. How about the slaughter of 12 young boys for the crime of watching a soccer game? Or taking ten minutes to cut off the head of a young man who went to the region to offer aid, not fight a war? Or the burial of living children, just for the hell of it?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, but I can provide justification for the eradication of violent Islam, today. How about the slaughter of 12 young boys for the crime of watching a soccer game? Or taking ten minutes to cut off the head of a young man who went to the region to offer aid, not fight a war? Or the burial of living children, just for the hell of it?

That's interesting ... and all. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with the question I asked RC. There is no need to use something unjustifiable such as the Crusades as an argument for fighting Islam.

Both are evil ... and the poster in question is just attempting to justify the Crusades because she is Catholic.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wars should be fought against nations; not idealogies, religions or random groups of nutters who pop their heads out of the sand.

Lexington'96

it was a defensive move

sometimes they didn't have to go far to engage them

like just south of paris

Tours was a defensive action, the Muslim armies were invading Europe. So was Vienna. I want to know how getting on ships and sailing all the way down to Jerusalem was defensive.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like how that son of the devil B. Hussein (Obama) Soetoro won't call them islmaic extremists, but he will equate them to Christians.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like how that son of the devil B. Hussein (Obama) Soetoro won't call them islmaic extremists, but he will equate them to Christians.

That homo-loving moron was issuing a call to inaction.