the church

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It's not evident from that that Peter was "in charge." I say that particularly because historically James was the one, apparently, taking the lead. Today we call men like that "the presiding overseer" in the congregation. When I read ACTS 15:13-20, I see JAMES as the one making the final decision about a matter.
He opted to go with what Peter had said right from the outset.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
-the church gave us the bible
-the church helps us understand it
-the church is preaching the gospel to all nations

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
-the church gave us the bible
-the church helps us understand it
If we care to. It's one of the things I love about the Magisterium's teaching, that knowing your Bible backward and forward, which is a Protestant value, isn't required to be a saint. If we do care to understand the Scripture, which is perfectly fine and noble even, you're right that our Magisterium helps us to understand it, when we submit to the teaching authority (because it is our Lord's own teaching authority) and expertise (since there are no better teachers of any subject in all the world) of the Holy See. They present for us the big picture, in which Sacred Scripture is but a piece.

It's like we're offered a gift. All we have to do is receive it, or open it, or otherwise acknowledge it.

It wouldn't hurt to thank the Lord for it either. In one way, it is our Father giving us "our daily bread."
-the church is preaching the gospel to all nations
Amen.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If we care to. It's one of the things I love about the Magisterium's teaching, that knowing your Bible backward and forward, which is a Protestant value, isn't required to be a saint. If we do care to understand the Scripture, which is perfectly fine and noble even, you're right that our Magisterium helps us to understand it, when we submit to the teaching authority (because it is our Lord's own teaching authority) and expertise (since there are no better teachers of any subject in all the world) of the Holy See. They present for us the big picture, in which Sacred Scripture is but a piece.

It's like we're offered a gift. All we have to do is receive it, or open it, or otherwise acknowledge it.

It wouldn't hurt to thank the Lord for it either. In one way, it is our Father giving us "our daily bread."
Amen.

-thank you
-thank you very much

iamaberean

-18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter
-19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven
-peter got the keys
-and
-the power to bind and loose
-that means he was in charge
-someone must be in charge
-that should be clear

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Peter replied to Jesus' question " thou art the Christ, the son of the living God".
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Jesus to Peter "Man didn't reveal this to you, but God did".
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
"Because of your knowledge of me, I will give thee the keys of the kingdom."

You know the stories of Peter standing at the gate in heaven?
That's not true, Peter used those keys while still on this earth. Where are they, what are they?

He first open the gate to the Jews in Act 2:38

Then he open the gate to the Gentiles in Act 10:42-45

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
-peter got the keys
-and
-that should be clear

Galatians 2

7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter

-peter got the keys
-and
-that should be clear

If you want to know who is best between Cruz or Rubio? go here http://presidential-candidates.insidegov.com/compare/50-62/Marco-Rubio-vs-Ted-Cruz

interesting article about the megalomaniac candidate at: http://www.pensitoreview.com/2015/09/08/why-the-silence-about-donald-trumps-mob-ties/

Zeke

Eusebius must have been a republican slash skull and bones, Knights of Malta, Jesuit Hit Man, cloak and dagger society or some gog in the funny hand gesture club that winks at the truth for Pete's sake.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
When the Lord says "upon THIS rock I will build My church" He is making it crystal there can be no "succession" of leaders. The foundation is laid, we can only build upon the foundation which is laid.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
....as laid by the Apostles, that is the 12 [judas having been replaced]These were eye witnesses, even Paul could lay no other foundation for he was not an eye witness,

The gospel I received
by which ye are saved
in which ye stand

That He died, was buried, rose again, according to the scriptures [the prophets]

AND HE WAS SEEN, first of Peter etc then by all the apostles. This "and He was seen by the apostles" is part of the essential gospel Paul preached

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Eusebius must have been a republican slash skull and bones, Knights of Malta, Jesuit Hit Man, cloak and dagger society or some gog in the funny hand gesture club that winks at the truth for Pete's sake.

the history of the church written by eusebius made it through the dark ages
-but
-you can still rewrite it
-and
-all you need is some credibility