the church

DavidK

so who resolves the differences?

That's a very good question.

With a group of elders following the Holy Spirit and living in brotherly love, it shouldn't be an issue very often. I'd expect a group of elders to remain in prayer and discussion until some sort of rough consensus emerges. Elders who remain on the outside of the consensus should submit to what the Spirit seems to be saying through the Body of Christ.

Of course, that's all a big "should". Given an impasse, a vote among the elders is an option. Given an irreconcilable even split, I'm not sure. The early church wasn't above drawing lots to determine the will of God.

I'm very new to this study, and hope my previous post reflects that. I've been under the typical Pastor-focused church structure for my whole Christian life, so it's new to explore this.

Beyond the question of final authority in dispute, do you read the passages I referenced differently?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'd expect a group of elders to remain in prayer and discussion until some sort of rough consensus emerges. Elders who remain on the outside of the consensus should submit to what the Spirit seems to be saying through the Body of Christ.

so what is the consensus on abortion, divorce, and same sex marriage?

HisServant

Based on God's Word, all three are wrong.

Any more questions?

I disagree.

1.) Abortion can be inferred as wrong based on just a few verses. But overall, I think its quite obvious that it is something that Christians should not do under any circumstances. But to try and impose a law banning it on the unsaved is a behavior contrary to how Christians are to love the unsaved. We are to reach people through love and persuasion.. not under threat of prison or death.

2.) Divorce is a mess in scripture, without understanding the culture to which scripture was written, it becomes a mess when viewed at through the lens of our current culture. Divorce should be avoided if possible, but divorce and remarriage is permitted in scripture. Once again, trying to impose christian values through the law will only cause more people to hate Christians.

3.) Same sex marriage is also a mess. Homosexuality should be viewed as a sin within the church and the ability of homosexuals to participate in church should be on par with how we let others with just a serious sin participate. Christians are not under the breeding program that God imposed on Israel... so it's penalties are not as severe under the new covenant... and those in same sex marriage should loved just as Jesus loved everyone and love is a mark of a Christian.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame