ECT The Church (Ekklesia) at Acts 2

Danoh

If you are shy and afraid, you can really have trouble going outside the familiar. They were also infected with people teaching them they could not eat other food. You don't grow up in Judaism where they 'bury' apostates and switch overnight.

Peter's recollection was that he went to the gentiles. Philip went to an African by divine relocation.

Nonsense.

The food issue was in accordance with the Law of Moses they were still under per the Lord's reminder to them as late as Matthew 23.

And you well know they are depicted worshipping at the Temple in Jerusalem in Acts.

And doing so required one or another cleansing ritual before any Israelite was even allowed into the Temple, Acts 21.

Which is also evident in Paul's defence concerning his having entered the Temple, later in Acts.

I've read the various commentaries on the supposed meaning of Peter's words in the first half of the following passage, and said commentaries only prove their writers clueless parrots parroting what they themselves learned from previous commentaries...

Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

All the popular commentaries wrongly assert your nonsense that Peter was stuck in a tradition that arose just prior to the first century, or some such.

Nonsense.

What Peter had meant by that was his perspective in verse 14, here...

Acts 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

And what Peter had meant was in keeping with this here...

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

And this here...

Leviticus 11:29 These also shall be unclean unto you among the creeping things that creep upon the earth; the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his kind, 11:30 And the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and the mole. 11:31 These are unclean to you among all that creep: whosoever doth touch them, when they be dead, shall be unclean until the even.

Leviticus 11:41 And every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth shall be an abomination; it shall not be eaten. Leviticus 11:42 Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever goeth upon all four, or whatsoever hath more feet among all creeping things that creep upon the earth, them ye shall not eat; for they are an abomination.

Leviticus 18:26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you: 18:27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;) 18:28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you. 18:29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people. 18:30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

As with many aspects of the Law; their God-given diet through the Law had been meant to remind them they were separate from the Gentile nations all around them and their many abominations.

Later, God not only having concluded Israel sinners of the Gentiles through the Law, but through His Son's finished work ALONE; he removed that restriction's intended reminder that Gentiles were unclean AFTER He then concluded Unbelieving Israel Uncircumcised in heart.

He then began to show mercy towards all and without distinction.

Meaning, both Jew and Gentile now had direct access to God.

And that began with Paul in Acts 9, not with Peter in Acts 10.

First, Paul was saved after Unbelieving Israel was concluded having continued in the Uncircumcision of heart of their forefathers, at the end of Acts 7.

Then, in Acts 9, he went to both Jew and Gentile - before Peter did in Acts 10 (given what that actually was about as to Peter and his sending there).

In other words, Paul was saved as Uncircumcision, spiritually, as both lost Jew and Gentile were now "under sin," or Uncircumcision.

As both Acts 7 and 8, and Paul's later testimony in Acts bears out; he was one of the ones the Spirit is concluded spiritual Uncircumcision, there at the end of Acts 7.

They'd kept the Law but from an Uncircumcised, and from not a Circumcised, heart.

Thus, their rejection of that aspect of the gospel of Christ preached unto them in Early Acts - that Jesus was/is their Prophesied Christ.

Romans 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Galatians 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? 2:15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 3:29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

To establish a thing is to confirm it thing as being solid fact. Which is the issue of what verse 28 asserts the Law proved.

While, as I have shown in the OP of my thread A Simple Bible Study; Paul had all that in Acts 9.

You are off-base on all sorts of things, IP.

Danoh

What amount of time do you think there is from Acts 9:1 to 31 to 10:1? Did you know Galilee was called Galilee of the Gentiles? (Mt 4, quoting Is 9), so they were on track (Jerusalem--Judea--Galilee--ends of earth). So you strain at points that make us not take you seriously.

Nope.

Galilee of the Gentiles referred Gentile lands there, and that largely not too literate, rough and tumble type Israelites who lived there (Peter and company, for example) were considered "no people" and "a foolish nation" by the rest.

If you know your history; this here was a put down...

Acts 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

SaulToPaul 2

If you are shy and afraid, you can really have trouble going outside the familiar. They were also infected with people teaching them they could not eat other food. You don't grow up in Judaism where they 'bury' apostates and switch overnight.

Peter's recollection was that he went to the gentiles. Philip went to an African by divine relocation.

More humanism, rationalization, unbelief.

Matthew 10:23 (KJV)

Interplanner

What is your point?

That they didn't fail. There was no internet, Jerry, no cars. They were doing what he said. It looks slow motion to us, sure, but they were going where they were supposed to. They were also helped miraculously by events like Peter's exchange and Philip's 'appearances.'

SaulToPaul 2

That they didn't fail. There was no internet, Jerry, no cars. They were doing what he said. It looks slow motion to us, sure, but they were going where they were supposed to. They were also helped miraculously by events like Peter's exchange and Philip's 'appearances.'

Matthew 10:23 (KJV)

Jerry Shugart

They were doing what he said. It looks slow motion to us, sure, but they were going where they were supposed to.

Then explain why the eleven apostles, after being told by the Lord Jesus to go unto the whole world and preach to every creature, limited their ministry to the Jews?

Were they being unfaithful to the Lord Jesus' direct command to them?

Interplanner

Then explain why the eleven apostles, after being told by the Lord Jesus to go unto the whole world and preach to every creature, limited their ministry to the Jews?

They didn't. Where do you think they did? I just showed you how they were on track, and Peter's recollection (was he fudging?) of his early days was that he was reaching Gentiles, he says in Acts 15.

SaulToPaul 2

They didn't. Where do you think they did? I just showed you how they were on track, and Peter's recollection (was he fudging?) of his early days was that he was reaching Gentiles, he says in Acts 15.

One household, and it was for a purpose that he didn't know.

Jerry Shugart

They didn't. Where do you think they did?

That doesn't address what I said.

Then explain why the eleven apostles, after being told by the Lord Jesus to go unto the whole world and preach to every creature, limited their ministry to the Jews (see Gal.2:9)?

Interplanner

That doesn't address what I said.

Then explain why the eleven apostles, after being told by the Lord Jesus to go unto the whole world and preach to every creature, limited their ministry to the Jews (see Gal.2:9)?

They did, the text says so, you have ADD and that's not my problem.