The Chimp-Human 1% Difference: A Useful Lie

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've have university training at statistics and when I hear about a 1 percent difference between two sets of numbers I expect to be able to line up the 100 (say) data of each and point to the single data couple that is unmatched.

For two genomes with a 1% difference I expect to be able to line up the two with all their functioning components and point to the 1/100 molecule pairs that are unmatched.

rexlunae

Well folks, I don’t know much about this monkey business, but IF I had to be related to an animal, I would rather be related to a wolf because they are far more attractive to me than any ape! Besides, they mate for life, monkeys monkey around too much to suit me. :chew: I am also a meat eater :chew:

You do realize, don't you, that what you want is not at all related to what is. But, fear not, for you are related to a wolf, less closely than an ape, but more closely than a fish.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You do realize, don't you, that what you want is not at all related to what is. But, fear not, for you are related to a wolf, less closely than an ape, but more closely than a fish.

Related yes. Descended no.

One Eyed Jack

Without having to point out the obvious to "Intelligent" people I obviously meant Pre "supposed flood" date...

Do you even know when the flood "supposedly" happened?

Massive Egyptian cities older than the supposed flood date

Which was... when?

with tons of evidence of human civilisation sitting nicely atop rock that was supposedly formed during the flood.. with dinosaurs and fossils inconveiniently ( For creationists ) embedded in the layers below.

And how is this inconvenient for creationists? It's exactly what I would expect to find, if the flood really happened.

It's good that egypt has these cities cos it's also one of the most densly littered fossil zones in the world.

Okay. And these cities are on top of the rock layers containing all these fossils, correct? So how is that good for you and bad for me?

one of these cities is 5000 years old...

What'd they do -- find a calendar? Five thousand years is just a guess -- our knowledge of ancient Egypt is notoriously spotty.

I guess even if the dates are out a little the decendents of Noah didn't half get cracking where work is involved, I mean what with that and having to constantly have sex to rebuild the population. Fill Egypt, Europe and South America with massive sprawling civilisations, so diverse they could not have come from the "Ark" crowd in such a short space of time.

Why not? How long did it take the United States to surpass the population of Mother England?

You don't have to look very far in this world or think too deeply to proove the worldwide flood story as nonsense.

You obviously haven't thought too deeply about any of this -- all you're doing is repeating mantras I've read hundreds of times before.

mmmmmm consistantly ordered rock layers aaarghhh...

Funny how floods have a tendency to do that, huh?

HERES PART OF AIG's MISSION STATMENT

"By definition, no apparent, perceived, or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record."

No how can such a standpoint be considered even remotly Scientific ???

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be a scientific statement? It looks like a statement of faith to me. AiG is a ministry, after all.

This is the black and white view closed minded people you follow.

I don't follow anybody. I haven't even gone to church since I was in high school. I used to believe in evolution, and I rejected that belief on my own.

Hank

Why not? How long did it take the United States to surpass the population of Mother England?

This has been discussed before. The growth rate would have had to been too large to populate the world from 8 people to the world population when Moses left Egypt (if that really happened).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you even know when the flood "supposedly" happened?

Which was... when?

And how is this inconvenient for creationists? It's exactly what I would expect to find, if the flood really happened.

Okay. And these cities are on top of the rock layers containing all these fossils, correct? So how is that good for you and bad for me?

What'd they do -- find a calendar? Five thousand years is just a guess -- our knowledge of ancient Egypt is notoriously spotty.

You obviously haven't thought too deeply about any of this -- all you're doing is repeating mantras I've read hundreds of times before.

Funny how floods have a tendency to do that, huh?

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be a scientific statement? It looks like a statement of faith to me. AiG is a ministry, after all.

I don't follow anybody. I haven't even gone to church since I was in high school. I used to believe in evolution, and I rejected that belief on my own.

That explains a lot...

pleasedtomeetme

The reason I frequently cite creationsafaris is because they obviously have good access to university libraries which in turn allows them to keep us up to date on what is being published in scientific journal articles. In the case at hand the article in question which suggested that the single percentage number be discontinued as a measure of similarity between different species appeared in Science.
What's the point of this post anyway? Bob, you seem extremely intent on trying to put forth your "evolutionist conspiracy" theories as if there is a concentrated effort by scientists around the world to hoodwink everyone about evolutionary theory. The problem is that your arguments fall flat because the very "discoveries" you are able to "uncover" weren't hidden from anyone in the first place. Were Wilson and King's findings hidden from anyone in 1975? Were there no statisticians able to decipher their numbers until now?

Is this latest "discovery" the work of creation scientists? Or could it be that our knowledge and understanding of genetics has progressed to a point where the 99%similarity between human and chimpanzee genetic similarity needs to be recalculated? What if it turns out the genetic similarity is closer to a mere 90% (or even less)?

If your objective is to try and show that just because scientists have different opinions about the detailed processes and mechanisms of evolution is somehow evidence that the theory itself is in trouble, you have failed miserably.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This has been discussed before. The growth rate would have had to been too large to populate the world from 8 people to the world population when Moses left Egypt (if that really happened).

What is little known and appreciated is the current remarkable population growth rate in subsahara africa, despite a high rate of early death due to diseases.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
What was the world population when Moses left Egypt?

Hank

What is little known and appreciated is the current remarkable population growth rate in subsahara africa, despite a high rate of early death due to diseases.

I've just about quit responding to anything you say Bob because when I ask you questions that corner you, you bail. But I try this time, what is the growth rate and what is the death rate?

Hank

What was the world population when Moses left Egypt?

The Bible says there were 600,000 men. With women and children say 2.5 million of a slave race which would be a minority since they were slaves. If you said twice as many Egyptions, a conservative number, that would be 7.5 million just in Egypt. If you said Egypt had half the population of the world, something hard to believe, that would be 15 million, requiring a growth rate of 1.7 percent for 850 years. All of that adds up to something also hard to believe.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
So you would expect to find...

Pre "Supposed" Flood manmade structures sat ON TOP of sedementary rock layers... caused by the "Supposed" flood ?

So a flood that could wipe out everything to such an extent it causes ROCK to form... actually caused the rock to form UNDER manmade structures ? rather than wiping out the manmade structures... or at least burying them under ?

You see no man made items have ever been found in rock layers under the dinosaurs ? if the flood was true you would expect to see them littered, especially as we were supposedly living with the dinosaurs.

But what do we see ?

We see plants over the dinosaurs in the rock layers, we see no sign of man in the lower layers and only primitive life forms, getting progressivly more adapted and complex as the millions of years pass.

Not to mention the Tower of Babel

The Bible says that the Tower of Babel was built 110 to 150 years after the flood.
How could the 3 fertile female human survivors of the flood (Noah's daughters in law) produce such a large number of descendants within 6 generations? anyone ? anyone ?

As for the rest of civilisation at large

There is no indication of a worldwide flood in ancient Egyptian, Indus or Chinese writings, sculptures, pyramids, temples, etc., which existed at the "Supposed" time of Noah. Surley if a worldwide flood did happen, then all of the world's early civilizations would have been completely destroyed... I mean it made the rock layers and fossilessed all those pesky dinosaurs and trilobites... of which there would have to have been about 2000 animals per acre to explain even a modest estimate of found fossilised animals.

The entire population of the world would then have only been 8 people, in the vicinity of the ark.

It would have taken millennia for humanity to become re-established in China, South America, Europe and elsewhere. Also, they would have developed a massivly different culture from the pre-flood society.... which is simply not true.

You're asking us to beleive the ancient chinese got wiped out... then noah decendants went back to china, and continued in the old ways of which they would have had no knowledge ? nor could have no knowledge because it would have all been buried in the flood ? talk about dumb.

The archaeological record in Egypt would show a sudden change from ancient Egyptian artifacts, to no signs of civilization, to ancient Israelite culture after the time of the flood.

The archaeological record in China would show a sudden change from ancient Chinese artifacts, to no signs of civilization, to ancient Israelite culture after the time of the flood. And so on.

But the archaeological record shows that the various cultures were not interrupted; they continued to develop throughout the period when the flood is supposed to have happened. For example, the Egyptian "Old Kingdom" covered the era from 2649 BCE to 2134 BCE, the 3rd to the 8th dynasty. In particular, the fifth dynasty covered the interval 2465 to 2323 BCE, straddling the time when religious conservatives believe that the flood happened.

So still believe the flood ?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whoa. This thread is off-topic.

No I don't think Chinese people are apes.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The Bible says there were 600,000 men. With women and children say 2.5 million of a slave race which would be a minority since they were slaves.
I'd say closer to 1.6 million, but that's ok.
If you said twice as many Egyptions, a conservative number, that would be 7.5 million just in Egypt. If you said Egypt had half the population of the world, something hard to believe, that would be 15 million, requiring a growth rate of 1.7 percent for 850 years. All of that adds up to something also hard to believe.
Why would that be hard to believe?

One Eyed Jack

So you would expect to find...

Pre "Supposed" Flood manmade structures sat ON TOP of sedementary rock layers... caused by the "Supposed" flood ?

What makes you think I believe these structures are pre-flood?

So a flood that could wipe out everything to such an extent it causes ROCK to form... actually caused the rock to form UNDER manmade structures ?

No, you moron. People built structures on top of the rocks after they formed. Obviously, I don't agree with the dates you've given (and which you haven't bothered to substantiate).

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Not long at all once the french, spanish, portugese, indians and asians started pouring in, you are after all, like Britain a Nation of immigrants.
I have traced my family back to the mid-18th century in Virginia Colony. How long before I lose my immigrant status?