The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was....

• Predestined by God

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • A judgment upon the wicked from God

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • A sign of the end times

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration

• A sign of global warming

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation

• A well orchestrated terrorist attack

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Bad karma

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A tragic random event

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Zakath, I was seekiing a Lunar day, one Lunar axial rotation (espcially in relationship to the sun, which is how our earthly day is observed). Did I get it wrong? I only skimmed the info.

Last edited:

STONE

1way-

Please answer post 153;
I would like to know how much influence you would allow God to have over your life...or if He must meet your conditions.

JRHoffman

Originally posted by 1Way

JRH,
Time is nothing like what you said it is. The idea that time is a part of this physical universe the same as any other created thing, is nothing more than a figment of one's imagination.
Every single instance of time you mentioned deals with the created physical realm. And !!NEWS FLASH!! God created the physical universe (with its physical notation of time).
BTW I never said anything about all time being equal to earth's time.
And to add to your brilliant deduction on age. If you were to compute an average human's age in Lunar years they do live to be 2,214 Lunar years old.

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Zakath, I was seekiing a Lunar day, one Lunar axial rotation (espcially in relationship to the sun, which is how our earthly day is observed). Did I get it wrong? I only skimmed the info.
Ahh... thanks, that clears things up a bit. :thumb:

1Way

JRH,
First sentence is false on several levels
(1) I mentioned that Jesus Christ said that God the father shared His glory with Himself before creation. Maybe you didn't read my post to well. (2) Secondly, I never suggested that time is or is not a part of this universe, I said it's not created like any part of creation which is exactly the opposite of what you said, which is that time was created by God. You seem to get confused too easily.

Second sentence is false
God never teaches that time is a notion from creation. In fact, Gods who is eternal, everlasting, eternal, infinite, etc., His name and titles is more than interestingly endued with time.
  • He who is and was and is to come (God was in the past and is in the present and will be in the future)
  • The ancient of Days (God really like's to connect Himself with time references)
  • Everlasting Father (God has lasted forever, talk about a long "duration event")
  • King of the Ages (God likes time being identified with Himself)
  • Living Stone (It's hard to imagine something that's living without any time to live...)
  • Living Water (See above)
  • Living God (See above)
  • Love (Godly love that is not freely reciprocated is not being in a loving relationship. And godly love that is reciprocated is the definition of a loving relationship, and "sharing" such love is a wonderful "event")
And we have God teaching very clearly that we should be careful not to exchange that which is created with Him who created it. We are to worship God and nothing that is created. Giving too much honor to something that is created is tantamount to idolatry. So this heavy contrast seems to suggest very heavily that God views time as not a created thing. Just as logic and reason must be eternal, otherwise God has not always been logical or reasonable. So just as logic and reason is not created, apparently the same may be the case with time.

Third sentence
You said
BTW I never said anything about all time being equal to earth's time.
BTW, I never said anything about you saying about all time beging equal to earth's time. (Could you possibly be less helpful?) Usually the goal is to progress the discussion, not digress or obfuscate. My little theoretical time example was to illustrate how contradictory and foolish your idea is.

Fourth sentence
You said
And to add to your brilliant deduction on age. If you were to compute an average human's age in Lunar years they do live to be 2,214 Lunar years old.
I know, like I said earlier, you should pay better attention to what I did post. I said
So according to your idea, we should find lunar people (Lunings?) ( :darwinsm: ) living on average to about 2,214 years... Well, that is if they were born on the moon...
So you actually believe that to be true... This is going to be fun, "if" I can get you to actually answer the pertinent questions around this bizarre fictional assumption.

How about we start with the one you already avoided. Here it is again for your answering pleasures.
But wait, it gets even better. The moon takes the same amount of "time" as our earth takes to orbit once around the sun, give or take perhaps some slight variation because of the added complexity and slight variation of the moon's orbit around the earth, but you get the point, they are on the same solar orbit duration timescale. So if you consider the daily axial rotation, time on the moon should be 27 times slower, but if you consider the solar orbit, time on the moon should be the same as on earth.

So which is it? Is the day "clock" or the year "clock" that would be accurate? :chuckles:

I can't wait to hear your specific response to that question. If you dare to even give one.
Remember, a dying world is looking at you wondering if you are representing God or not. It will help you and them for all eternity if you give a more accurate portrayal of who God is. It's the truth that sets us free, not contradictory false teachings. Please try again.

1Way

Stone,
I'm still looking for your answer that you said you already gave that I still can't find and you still haven't helped me find it.

Zakath,
So what do you think? Loony, opps, I mean Lunar people would live to be over two thousand years old, or more like 82? JRH over here thinks that the length of the day, how long it takes for the earth or moon to make one complete rotation around it's axis, is equated to time such that if it's 29 times slower, then you would live about 29 times longer.

Here's another thought candy question. But cover your screen until after JRH answers my previous question because I don't want him to see this before he responds. Consider the Lunar landings we have already done. The communications between them and us happened in a one to one timeframe. For example, Huston might say, what is your status, and one of the astronauts would answer without delay and without a speech impediment. I'm a wannabe musician and so I have experience with adjusting the tempo of music to help analyze how it is played, and so song lyrics also get slowed down too. At just 2 times slower, audible speech becomes somewhat difficult to understand clearly, but at four times slower, it is very difficult to understand, so at 19 times slower, the time differential would have been noticeable on two levels. (1) It would have begun to take forever to respond. For example a normal 4 second pause between send and receive responses would turn into a 108 second pause, that's almost 2 minuets to simply start to respond! And (2) once they finally did respond, it would be completely unintelligible. Instead, what we found is that our communication happened pretty much just like it would on earth.

This is really silly. We have satellite communications that helped us to debunk the time is relative idea years ago. Plus, we have reflectors on the surface of the moon that are used to accurately reflect it's distance via lazar tests from earth. At least I think it was lazar. If time is relative then the results of the distance would be off. The empirical evidence is in, but certain Christians would rather promote false ideas so as to protect precious manmade yet false doctrine.

STONE

1way,

These were your questions as far as I could tell:
*Can a rapist kidnapper force his victim to love him,
(Control=control freak=rapist)

*If we have no personal free will, then God is dishonest when He expects us to choose, when He requires us to respond to the gospel message unto salvation, etc.
(How can man respond to the Gospel)

*If the greatest love was shown by freely giving His life for His friends, and our saving relationship is supposed to be typified by God's awesome love, then why can't we ever have or share that kind of love since are never free to offer it?
(Why can’t man know God’s love)

*do you believe that Jesus had no choice but that He had to die for us, He did not do so willingly of His own free will? What do you think?
(Why did Jesus die for us)

These were my answers:

*To help you better understand please first consider that God is not a rapist, but is perfect in all his ways, and entirely lovable when understood.

* The problem is man's mind is carnal, and cannot understand God as He truly Is.
But by His Grace we come to understand and know God through Faith; but even this faith is not of ourselves...it is the Gift of God.

*Why doesn't God give Grace to all men so all can know Him?
He does. But man's sinful inclination makes man love darkness rather than light, for man's deeds are evil.

*For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now (to intervene in our suffering). Only by God leading men to the truth of their own weakness, through suffering and failure (to set an example), can man accept the Word of God and truly know and love Him through the Holy Spirit (to establish the promise).
-I’ll clarify my last point further: Jesus died for us because He knew it was necessary, and because the Father knew it would be necessary and therefore ordained it.

Your questions were somewhat unclear, my answers may have been unclear.

STONE

Originally posted by STONE
1way-

Please answer post 153;
I would like to know how much influence you would allow God to have over your life...or if He must meet your conditions.

The answer is evident, you don't really need to answer this.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
1Way,

As long ago as when I was in school (many, many years ago) they were measuring time with atomic clocks by counting the vibrations of atoms (Cesium?). For the scientific world, time has long been detached from astronomical observations...

Time, as humans understand it, is based on measuring movement. The only way time ceases to have measurable meaning is when things stop moving (i.e. maximum entropy)...

Melika

Sign of the Times

Sign of the Times

The intensifying of the "birth pangs" that foreshadow His return.
The hurricane on top of hurricane this summer into Florida. Then
the earthquake in Asia and the *big Wave* of biblical proportions.
"and upon the earth dismay among nations in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the Waves" Luke 21:25-26
When you see these things Begin to take place, Look up for your redemption draws nigh" Luke 21:28:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Re: Sign of the Times

Re: Sign of the Times

Originally posted by Melika

The intensifying of the "birth pangs" that foreshadow His return.
The hurricane on top of hurricane this summer into Florida. Then
the earthquake in Asia and the *big Wave* of biblical proportions.
"and upon the earth dismay among nations in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the Waves" Luke 21:25-26
When you see these things Begin to take place, Look up for your redemption draws nigh" Luke 21:28:

Oh heavens. The sky is falling. Again.

:devil:

1Way

Zakath,
You said
1Way,

(1) As long ago as when I was in school (many, many years ago) they were measuring time with atomic clocks by counting the vibrations of atoms (Cesium?). (2) For the scientific world, time has long been detached from astronomical observations...

(3) Time, as humans understand it, is based on measuring movement. The only way time ceases to have measurable meaning is when things stop moving (i.e. maximum entropy)...
(1) A clock, no matter of what variety, does not measure time like a ruler measures distance, instead it imitates several things that mimic the nature of time which is mostly it's consistency. Time progresses at a consistent rate and direction. The best clocks advertise it's "movement" as being "consistent" (plus or minus so much variation within so much time) so the better clock you have, the more steady the movement and the more consistent it is over a longer period of time. But the fact is that it's always off by some amount. Why? Because we are not actually measuring time, we are simply trying to approximate the steady movement and matching that movement up against the known duration of events we find in the solar and planetary system.

(2) Not true. I think you mean that they went from metal spring loaded clocks to atomic ones. Yet neither of them measured time like a ruler measures distance. The most foundational example of the passage of time is our natural days and years. Without that as our guide, and because atomic reaction varies depending upon relative forces of accelaration, it would be very difficult to understand what time it is.

By the way, God uses days and years as the primary scale for time duration, do you think that atomic clocks know better than God? :eek:

(3) Our understanding of the duration of time is based up the duration of events, not just measuring movement. "Measuring movement" is more the product of distance and space than it is time and the duration of events.

Right, if you have a timeless event, then that event never had the time to happen. Time and events are as you say, inextricably connected. But clocks and time are not as connected as you seem to think. Clocks only mimic steady movement, and then upon that we try to calibrate that steady movement to match days and years, which we get from our solar and planetary movements. But again, time is an event such as the earth's rotation or it's obit around the sun, rather, time is our way of understanding who events unfold and have duration. Thus time is consistent in direction and rate, and it is independent of how fast the earth moves or how fast atoms vibrate.

But I believe we've been through all this before, haven't we.

JoyfulRook

Z Man said:
Hmmmm.. let's see now. The catastrophic tsunami in Asia was...

- A judgment upon the wicked from God:

Well, if that was the case, we'd all be dead.

- A sign of the end times:

We've been getting these signs since Jesus ascended.

- A conspiracy staged by the U.N.

Highly doubtful and a ridiculus conclusion.

- A conspiracy staged by the Bush Administration:

Even more ridiculus.

- A sign of global warming:

Now how in the world does global warming affect a siesmic plate shift 6 miles beneath the ocean floor to cause an earthquake?

- Mother Earth striking back for overpopulation:

Did Skeptic come up with this one?

- A well orchestrated terrorist attack:

Geez! If they were willing to spend that amount of money to create a 40ft tsunami and wipe out Southeast Asia, why didn't they just invest it in wiping out America with a couple of nukes?

- Bad karma:

Karma? Who believes in this crap on a Christian website?

- A tragic random event:

There is no such thing as 'randomness', or accidents.

- Other (explain below):

I think all options have been exhausted.

So, I guess that leaves only one logical option left to be true. Guess which one I'll vote for...

:chuckle:
I agree with this answer.